Jump to content
270soft Forum

Next update thread


Anthony_270
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, populist86 said:

I understand now, thanks. So this would replace the regional calculation, then.

I forgot to mention education before. Race/ethnicity and college education predicts enough of voting to handle most dynamics in the USA. I guess education could be combined with race/ethnicity, though? Something like...

White College

White Non-College

Black

Hispanic

Asian/Other

...would be enough to model American elections. You do get some quirks (Cubans in FL, evangelicals in the South, non-religious on the West Coast), but those dynamics can be modeled well enough since we're nested with parties.

I agree with you age is the next best predictor. Because age balance affects turnout (younger voters are lower propensity) in addition to margins. And obviously like you said, these would be customizable for user scenarios.

Sticking to 3 levels might be best because otherwise results probably get noisy or processing is slower, based on what happened with the favorability system.

Ya, I'll see as I go. The system needs to be able to get relevant data easily in, and not make it a huge headache for designers, while also making game play better. Then, as you noted, there are technical issues here, but I don't believe there will be problems with memory or processing speed as long as voting blocs don't get crazy (100s of them per region).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go ...

There are a few concepts involved.

First is a VotingBlocCategory. For example, 'Age'.

Second is a VotingBloc. For example, 'Senior'.

Then there is a VotingBlocCombo (see code below). It is specified by a combination of VotingBlocs. For example, 'Senior', 'Hispanic', and 'Florida' creates a unique 'fingerprint' for how various activities (ads, speeches, and so on) will affect that kind of voter. For example, an ad about a leader who has a far-left position on Role of Government will affect them differently than various other VotingBlocCombo's.

Then you just have the votes associated with each leader in the game for that VotingBlocCombo.

voting_blocs.png.e13b7c9ef5ee5314a1fa624a652e70ea.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

great work, my one thing which I *think you're addressing is that each race is not a monolithic group.

 

hispanics in Florida are vastly different than hispanics in NYC and so on.. 

one of the best parts of the game is seeing how your platform affects various voters differently so anything adding to that is great 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

great work, my one thing which I *think you're addressing is that each race is not a monolithic group.

 

hispanics in Florida are vastly different than hispanics in NYC and so on.. 

one of the best parts of the game is seeing how your platform affects various voters differently so anything adding to that is great 

 

Yes. In this case a designer might want to create 2 Voting Blocs in the Ethnic Voting Bloc Category, Cuban-Hispanics and Mexican-Hispanics, say, or something like that. Alternately, have the Florida Voting Bloc modify the general Hispanic Voting Bloc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Yes. In this case a designer might want to create 2 Voting Blocs in the Ethnic Voting Bloc Category, Cuban-Hispanics and Mexican-Hispanics, say, or something like that. Alternately, have the Florida Voting Bloc modify the general Hispanic Voting Bloc.

This should be super interesting for campaign designers. 

Especially if we could also set issue positions for the blocs :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Especially if we could also set issue positions for the blocs

Yes, each Voting Blocs has a platform that can be set. Note this is then combined with other platforms to create a composite for a Voting Bloc Combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Updated Unity to the latest version. It now uses C# 8.0, which is a nice improvement over C# 7.

One aspect of C# where I wondered why they didn't do it right, but that they took from C++, was the switch statement. I've always found the switch statement clunky, and was surprised they left the syntax the same.

Behold, C# 8.0 introduced a switch expression which is a switch statement done right for the common case of (among other things) assigning a value based on a variable.

Here's a switch statement as it was written in C# 7.

switch_before.png.092a713fc64a22a400ddaf0005e93af5.png

and here's the same functionality with a switch expression (C# 8.0)

switch_after.png.e7eedd0e521cfb1e98e76fc61791dee2.png

From 25 lines of code to 9. Beautiful and intuitive to understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Here we go ...

There are a few concepts involved.

First is a VotingBlocCategory. For example, 'Age'.

Second is a VotingBloc. For example, 'Senior'.

Then there is a VotingBlocCombo (see code below). It is specified by a combination of VotingBlocs. For example, 'Senior', 'Hispanic', and 'Florida' creates a unique 'fingerprint' for how various activities (ads, speeches, and so on) will affect that kind of voter. For example, an ad about a leader who has a far-left position on Role of Government will affect them differently than various other VotingBlocCombo's.

Then you just have the votes associated with each leader in the game for that VotingBlocCombo.

voting_blocs.png.e13b7c9ef5ee5314a1fa624a652e70ea.png

I remember seeing Alienated while looking through the XML files. Is it going to get a use now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cenzonico said:

I remember seeing Alienated while looking through the XML files. Is it going to get a use now?

Each Voting Bloc Combo has a % alienated, and those can be flipped to undecided (then leaning, then committed). I could review the code currently, but I believe alienated's in the current system can move into a leader's column.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ochebalboa said:

Can we have the UK Elections with PR as the voting system please?  

I've been hounding @admin_270for PR, MMP, STV, and other non-FPTP/Australian system legislative election styles as included options for PI and CI (especially for editor usage for custom elections across the board, given only a minority of legislative elections in the world today use FPTP or the Australian system) for years. It's good to see another voice, more or less, to the growing chorus he won't give a definitive ETA to getting around to addressing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Patine said:

I've been hounding @admin_270for PR, MMP, STV, and other non-FPTP/Australian system legislative election styles as included options for PI and CI (especially for editor usage for custom elections across the board, given only a minority of legislative elections in the world today use FPTP or the Australian system) for years. It's good to see another voice, more or less, to the growing chorus he won't give a definitive ETA to getting around to addressing.

Well, it would be pretty difficult for him to do South Korea's modern system (FPTP+PR+MMP, I think). Anyhow, I think @admin_270 has other priorities currently.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I don't give a definitive ETA for almost anything.

So I've known this for a long time lol....

 

But I'd like to give a little update on the Twitters for my 270soft Wiki account on the next P.I. update. All I want to know is...Will the next release (3.3.7 or not) be a "big" update, or a "small" update? I don't want you to say a "Next month" or any ETA, what to expect-nothing but "big" or "small". Thanks in advance for the eventual reply!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

So I've known this for a long time lol....

 

But I'd like to give a little update on the Twitters for my 270soft Wiki account on the next P.I. update. All I want to know is...Will the next release (3.3.7 or not) be a "big" update, or a "small" update? I don't want you to say a "Next month" or any ETA, what to expect-nothing but "big" or "small". Thanks in advance for the eventual reply!

1. Version will be 2021.1.0, not 3.3.7.

2. It's turning into a significant update on the backend. Whether that will translate into significant differences on the frontend is another question, but my goal is faster turns and better save-load.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jinsu Kim said:

Well, it would be pretty difficult for him to do South Korea's modern system (FPTP+PR+MMP, I think). Anyhow, I think @admin_270 has other priorities currently.

Why would it be difficult? And his priorities are greatly hamstringing the potential of his game engine, in the broad scale. And "difficult," should not mean, "daunting and give up."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Patine said:

Why would it be difficult? And his priorities are greatly hamstringing the potential of his game engine, in the broad scale. And "difficult," should not mean, "daunting and give up."

you really want some South Korean election to be the focus instead of demographics, 2024 candidates.....?? ok man 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PoliticalPundit said:

you really want some South Korean election to be the focus instead of demographics, 2024 candidates.....?? ok man 

Any nation's elections that are not thoroughly rigged, predetermined, corrupted, or one-choice-referendums are worthy subject material for scenarios for an election simulator like this one. The great majority of the custom scenarios I make - and most enjoy playing - are in countries and polities outside the United States, and, in fact, American political culture is among the most boring and uninteresting out there. I'd like to see the scenario making options expand to a generic toolkit to make custom options around the world and across electoral history for readily and easily possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Any nation's elections that are not thoroughly rigged, predetermined, corrupted, or one-choice-referendums are worthy subject material for scenarios for an election simulator like this one. The great majority of the custom scenarios I make - and most enjoy playing - are in countries and polities outside the United States, and, in fact, American political culture is among the most boring and uninteresting out there. I'd like to see the scenario making options expand to a generic toolkit to make custom options around the world and across electoral history for readily and easily possible.

Again I’ll say it...why not just make a new game customized for these more complicated systems like Germany?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Again I’ll say it...why not just make a new game customized for these more complicated systems like Germany?

It would be nice if @admin_270would even update the Chancellor Forever engine to the Infinity game standard. He hasn't, despite myself and others bringing it up for several YEARS! The games on the Infinity standard ONLY currently cover presidential elections, and FPTP and Australian system legislative elections, and NOTHING ELSE! They even lack competent coalition-building AI mechanics in PMI and CI, and I still don't believe, if I'm not mistaken, that a PI scenario can have both primary elections and popular vote in the same scenario. This is a big part of the issue I've been going on about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

It would be nice if @admin_270would even update the Chancellor Forever engine to the Infinity game standard. He hasn't, despite myself and others bringing it up for several YEARS! The games on the Infinity standard ONLY currently cover presidential elections, and FPTP and Australian system legislative elections, and NOTHING ELSE! They even lack competent coalition-building AI mechanics in PMI and CI, and I still don't believe, if I'm not mistaken, that a PI scenario can have both primary elections and popular vote in the same scenario. This is a big part of the issue I've been going on about.

From what I know, there's only 1 person working on all these games. So why would you expect a single person to do all these things when there are like 100 different things to do? We've got U.K., Australia, Canada, American Presidential, American Congressional elections to already work on. Why do you expect one person to add even more to that plate? Even then, there's the problem with having to update the engines of each game. Yeah, copy-pasting would be SUCH a great solution, but it doesn't work like that,  especially when you've got to go from a game which isn't even on the same standard as others. I hate to be a mean person, but maybe either offer to help or maybe just be nice like the rest of us and let the person in charge do their job? I understand the desire to see new things in the games. I'd love to see more U.S. historical things get put in. But it's hard work, especially when you've already got a growing list of items on the backlog. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@admin_270Another almost unrepresented, but very unfortunately true and real, aspect that should be in these games is the effects of regulatory capture on modern politics - especially in the United States, and possible scandal for politicians and parties caught engaging in it, as well as, to a lesser degree, their ill-gotten benefitting clients, in a "red hands," or "smoking gun," type of scenario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Patine said:

@admin_270Another almost unrepresented, but very unfortunately true and real, aspect that should be in these games is the effects of regulatory capture on modern politics - especially in the United States, and possible scandal for politicians and parties caught engaging in it, as well as, to a lesser degree, their ill-gotten benefitting clients, in a "red hands," or "smoking gun," type of scenario.

To some extent that is captured by Endorsers. However, there's no scandal aspect to Endorsers - interesting idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...