270soft Forum

Next update thread

2 hours ago, populist86 said:

I don't really have many wishlist items for features. Just the completion of the editor followed by voting blocs.

The improvements in terms of performance, interface and compatibility are great of course.

Electoral systems other than FPTP and the Australian System for legislative (PMI and CI) elections, comprehensive coalition forming mechanics in legislative elections, parties endorsing candidates of other parties in PI, Convention nominations of candidates for PI elections instead of Primary vote, delayed campaign travel for candidates and surrogates and delayed voting results in pre-flight-era elections, a manageable but present "corruptibility," factor in the editor, a NOTA vote in jurisdictions where it appears, elections of small, collective head-of-state committees instead of single head-of-states being electable in PI elections, partisan parliamentary presidents and meddling, emerging constitutional monarchs and colonial governors making biased choices if the choice of victor in a parliamentary election is up to them because of a lack of outright majority confidence, off the top of my head - I could probably think of others, given time - all should be included in the Infinity Games, @admin_270.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you had never joined this forum, we would still be having political discussions. 

Because that means you're an idiot snowflake who cant take anything even though you brought on a stupid conversation. Ban super, ban anyone, ban me for all I care. Super was commenting on a topic you

Believe it or not, while it may be a minority of people, some would like to see what Patine is talking about be realized, even if it is a small chance. I enjoy K4E and PMI more than I do PI. It's a ma

Posted Images

12 hours ago, populist86 said:

The improvements in terms of performance, interface and compatibility are great of course.

In order to get certain performance improvements, the polling system will be replaced.

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

In order to get certain performance improvements, the polling system will be replaced.

Yep, makes a response to @populist86's humble request, but not to mine (or at least never with any sense of commitment) that would greatly and immensely improve the game and make it a lot more comprehensive and expansive, and TRULY a great election simulator for all occasions and most elections (and with 'likes," behind them). I'd ALMOST think you just prefer to respond with any degree of commitment to the "easy," requests - but I hope I'd be wrong.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Yep, makes a response to @populist86's humble request, but not to mine (or at least never with any sense of commitment) that would greatly and immensely improve the game and make it a lot more comprehensive and expansive, and TRULY a great election simulator for all occasions and most elections (and with 'likes," behind them). I'd ALMOST think you just prefer to respond with any degree of commitment to the "easy," requests - but I hope I'd be wrong.

Same answer as I've given multiple times before - might happen.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Same answer as I've given multiple times before - might happen.

I just feel you often seem more "confident," in your answers to a lot of other posters' suggestions, is all.

2021 duuuuuuh....

Nah I be clowning.

Seriously though I'd like to address a problem that people may not understand. The problem with people who aren't in certain design fields is that they don't understand the limitations or complexities of those fields unless they've done a little study into those fields, or are familiar with the inner workings of such fields. 

I'll take a personal example. I designed a house in my head at a young age-a house which, after trying to re-create it in the Sims made me realize my design had so many major flaws and problems that I needed to re-do the entire thing to be realistic. 

Video game design is similar in that coding can be limiting. "Oh why don't you think my suggestions are as possible as other people's?" While your ideas may be great in theory, they may not be as easily implemented as you imagine. I love working on the Wiki, but sometimes I reach roadblocks when I can't exactly implement what I thought I could. Which is why telling people their requests or suggestions are the best thing and will be implemented is a stupid idea, and it's also why game designers don't always take suggestions from gamers and put them in. No, it's not always this reason. But, this could be an explanation as to why your "suggestions" aren't "accepted" as normally as other peoples are. 

I'm really new here, so I probably am missing some critical background info here. So please don't take my flawed take as explicit truth or lie. I don't intend to offend anyone or discredit anyone. I just want to inject a defense on behalf of designers and a possible explanation to other players. 

• Upvote 1

Anthony, other than Polling Data updates and the addition of Illinois Senate seat race, what else should players of Congress Infinity expect in the next Beta Update? Not asking for a timeline or anything, just a list or something. (I know I asked you the same in an email months ago, but that was months ago and so much has changed, haha.)

2 hours ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Anthony, other than Polling Data updates and the addition of Illinois Senate seat race, what else should players of Congress Infinity expect in the next Beta Update? Not asking for a timeline or anything, just a list or something. (I know I asked you the same in an email months ago, but that was months ago and so much has changed, haha.)

CI is lower priority than PI right now. Updates to PI will transfer to CI in most cases, once an update for CI is released. Ultimately, I want to add House 2020. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Is there a reason there are only now 2 differentiating colors for a party in the new version of President Infinity? It used to be Lean, Likely, Safe. Now it seems Likely and Safe have been consolidated into just "Safe"...what happened?

Looking at the 2020 scenario, this change is false-it looks normal. 

But in the Florida scenario it's still the case. So I apologize for the possible inconvenience. 

12 hours ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Looking at the 2020 scenario, this change is false-it looks normal. 

But in the Florida scenario it's still the case. So I apologize for the possible inconvenience. 

Is it possible the %s just don't fall into one of the categories?

The Favorability system will probably be replaced.

There are several reasons for this, game play and technical.

1. My desire was for a sim with a large 'population' of voters modeled individually to have naturally emergent behaviour, such as collapses in support or coalescing around an insurgent. (Virtual persons is how the Favorability system works - each virtual person assigns Favorability numbers to each candidate.) To some degree this is happening, but to some degree the dynamics are worse than they were before (no movement in %s, a very unlikely candidate suddenly receiving a huge amount of support).

2. To populate a region with enough virtual persons ended up requiring too much processing power and memory. For example, if you have 60 regions (President Infinity) with 500 virtual persons per region, that's 3,000 persons. If you have a function that takes 1 ms to run for a given person, that's 3 seconds to run it on all the persons. Now consider that Prime Minister Infinity - U.K. has about 10 x that many regions.

3. Add to this Voting Blocs, and it becomes even more difficult, because having adequate 'resolution' for each Voting Bloc would probably require having even more virtual persons per region (as is the case already if you want to sim 3rd party primaries without large % shifts - if a party only has 2% of the vote in a region, and there are only 500 virtual voters, there would only be 10 virtual voters for that party, so primaries % shifts would occur in 10% chunks).

What can you expect once the Favorability system is replaced?

a) the game should run faster, and there should be fewer issues with save-load,

and

b) the game dynamics will be similar to what they were before Favorability was introduced, then continue to be tweaked

Feedback welcome!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BeetleJuice said:

Why on polling do the numbers add up to over a 100?  When you add the general election candidates percentages with undecided the number is much greater than a 100.

I believe it's just showing the decided numbers / 100, to make it more intuitive.

• Upvote 1

I will probably replace the Favorability system, based on virtual persons, with a Voting Blocs system. In the beginning, this will look pretty much like the normal system (default Voting Blocs will be by party affiliation), but it will be set up to add customizable Voting Blocs. So the basic unit in the game engine instead will be Voting Blocs. This is still in flux.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

The Favorability system will probably be replaced.

There are several reasons for this, game play and technical.

1. My desire was for a sim with a large 'population' of voters modeled individually to have naturally emergent behaviour, such as collapses in support or coalescing around an insurgent. (Virtual persons is how the Favorability system works - each virtual person assigns Favorability numbers to each candidate.) To some degree this is happening, but to some degree the dynamics are worse than they were before (no movement in %s, a very unlikely candidate suddenly receiving a huge amount of support).

2. To populate a region with enough virtual persons ended up requiring too much processing power and memory. For example, if you have 60 regions (President Infinity) with 500 virtual persons per region, that's 3,000 persons. If you have a function that takes 1 ms to run for a given person, that's 3 seconds to run it on all the persons. Now consider that Prime Minister Infinity - U.K. has about 10 x that many regions.

3. Add to this Voting Blocs, and it becomes even more difficult, because having adequate 'resolution' for each Voting Bloc would probably require having even more virtual persons per region (as is the case already if you want to sim 3rd party primaries without large % shifts - if a party only has 2% of the vote in a region, and there are only 500 virtual voters, there would only be 10 virtual voters for that party, so primaries % shifts would occur in 10% chunks).

What can you expect once the Favorability system is replaced?

a) the game should run faster, and there should be fewer issues with save-load,

and

b) the game dynamics will be similar to what they were before Favorability was introduced, then continue to be tweaked

Feedback welcome!

That sounds good to me admin! As long as percentage bonuses work again and as long as we get endorser images possibly I'm for it 😛

Oh shoot you should see the alt history scenario I've been working on :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I will probably replace the Favorability system, based on virtual persons, with a Voting Blocs system. In the beginning, this will look pretty much like the normal system (default Voting Blocs will be by party affiliation), but it will be set up to add customizable Voting Blocs. So the basic unit in the game engine instead will be Voting Blocs. This is still in flux.

Very cool, thanks Anthony! Do you have a timetable for the new system to replace favorability with voting blocs?

54 minutes ago, populist86 said:

Very cool, thanks Anthony! Do you have a timetable for the new system to replace favorability with voting blocs?

Absolutely not! 😛

But it is the current feature I'm working on.

• Haha 1

Note: this is all conditional.

A Voting Bloc can be nested, or the basic Voting Bloc. 

It's natural to use party affiliation as a basic Voting Bloc category, but not required.

Within those party affiliation Voting Blocs, you could add a 2nd layer, perhaps age, and the age Voting Blocs are therefore nested Voting Blocs. You can specify this 2nd layer as the same for all party affiliations, or to vary.

Then, you could introduce a 3rd layer, perhaps ethnicity. This again could be the same for all 1st and 2nd layer combinations, or vary.

And so on.

As you can see, adding layers adds complexity fast. The limiting factor for a designer is probably what demographic information is available.

Each Voting Bloc has a desired platform, which is similar to how regions work. So there are issue centres and issue profiles, and these modify the overall platform for that Voting Bloc combination (in this case, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd layer combination).

• Thanks 1