270soft Forum

Next update thread

43 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Right, Hawley.

Last year in an interview campaign the Lincoln Project discussed their targets:

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/30/885659576/a-group-of-conservative-political-strategists-is-urging-republicans-to-vote-for-

The top four seem to be Hawley, Cotton, ("other like-minded zombies roaming the body politic in America, like Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley") DeSantis ("some of these governors in the South who have done such a poor job in dealing with the pandemic because they didn't want to anger the president") and Tucker ("the president's favorite propaganda shows on Fox").

Their tweets and messaging repeatedly targeted those same four. Cotton and Tucker, like Scott and Cruz, have their own brands (as opposed to Hawley and DeSantis who are more controlled) but are still Trumpy.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you had never joined this forum, we would still be having political discussions. 

Because that means you're an idiot snowflake who cant take anything even though you brought on a stupid conversation. Ban super, ban anyone, ban me for all I care. Super was commenting on a topic you

Believe it or not, while it may be a minority of people, some would like to see what Patine is talking about be realized, even if it is a small chance. I enjoy K4E and PMI more than I do PI. It's a ma

Posted Images

Cotton will be the Bridesmaid like Rubio and Cruz were in 2016. Somewhat OT but I agree with Scott Adams that purely off the name Cotton he won't have a chance lol. 

After researching more @Anthony_270 was right, DeSantis is my frontrunner with Tucker right behind.

I like Cruz's chances based purely on his work in the last 4 years planting seeds... but man is he unlikable. I think the media will just paint him as they did with Romney.. he'd be a strong VP though.

But honestly, 2024 will be more about Biden's health and what they accomplish (or not) than anything Republican related. They could theoretically run any of the people mentioned if Biden does as bad of a job as most suspect he will. 

The progressive agenda pushing Biden will end up eating its own by either pissing off enough swing voters or Biden doesn't do enough and they switch back to "Not voting". 

The mail in voting was a once in a lifetime opportunity for ethical shortcuts And extra voters bc of boredom and opportunity. 4 years from now COVID will be a thing of the past. 

On another measure, Biden yesterday in his Town Hall said he can't promise anything, but hopes "may be" things will be back normal by Christmas this year.

And things vaccines will be available to all by July. 

If this man really thinks people will be content to live relatively similar to now till December, he has 0 clue. He is more pessimistic than Fauci of all people on this. Even Liberals have to agree it will not work.

I personally can handle till December, but I know a lot of people who cannot from both sides. 

The longer this charade goes on, the smarter Desantis looks like @Anthony_270 said. I was totally wrong, I thought DeSantis was a fool with how he was handling COVID but long term it was the best strategy for voters. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Cotton will be the Bridesmaid like Rubio and Cruz were in 2016. Somewhat OT but I agree with Scott Adams that purely off the name Cotton he won't have a chance lol. 

After researching more @Anthony_270 was right, DeSantis is my frontrunner with Tucker right behind.

I like Cruz's chances based purely on his work in the last 4 years planting seeds... but man is he unlikable. I think the media will just paint him as they did with Romney.. he'd be a strong VP though.

But honestly, 2024 will be more about Biden's health and what they accomplish (or not) than anything Republican related. They could theoretically run any of the people mentioned if Biden does as bad of a job as most suspect he will. 

The progressive agenda pushing Biden will end up eating its own by either pissing off enough swing voters or Biden doesn't do enough and they switch back to "Not voting". 

The mail in voting was a once in a lifetime opportunity for ethical shortcuts And extra voters bc of boredom and opportunity. 4 years from now COVID will be a thing of the past. 

What do you think about Hawley? I really like him, and his bravery in January really stands out to me.

Just now, populist86 said:

What do you think about Hawley? I really like him, and his bravery in January really stands out to me.

haven't researched enough on him. but watching his NCC speech in 2019 he rings a little phony to me. Like a younger Romney lol. Could be a nice VP pick. 

Republicans need to be really cognizant of how important it is to have a seemingly "Blue Collar/politically incorrect" candidate at the top to get the swing votes. The Yale/Stanford thing I dont think can generate the momentum needed for a Republican candidate and Cruz does a better job of pitching himself as a for the people guy.

Still need to research more, but till I see some more charisma from him can't really count him at my top. Making smart moves though this year politically.  

It doesn't really matter who anyone wants tbh bc whoever Trump picks (if he doesn't run) will win. 100%. 

5 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

haven't researched enough on him. but watching his NCC speech in 2019 he rings a little phony to me. Like a younger Romney lol. Could be a nice VP pick. 

Republicans need to be really cognizant of how important it is to have a seemingly "Blue Collar/politically incorrect" candidate at the top to get the swing votes. The Yale/Stanford thing I dont think can generate the momentum needed for a Republican candidate and Cruz does a better job of pitching himself as a for the people guy.

Still need to research more, but till I see some more charisma from him can't really count him at my top. Making smart moves though this year politically.  

It doesn't really matter who anyone wants tbh bc whoever Trump picks (if he doesn't run) will win. 100%. 

Fair enough. I would recommend his book on Teddy Roosevelt. Besides, people can go to those schools and still be struggling financially (I know I'm definitely still blue collar even with a so-called elite degree), or could be class traitors (the GOP has had a ton historically).

I mostly agree RE:Trump, but until you deal with fraudulent voting it's hard for people to take the process seriously. There needs to be serious reform and more rigorous quality control in place.

13 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

I like Cruz's chances based purely on his work in the last 4 years planting seeds... but man is he unlikable.

Ya, Cruz makes a great Senator from Texas. But I don't think he should be running for POTUS. 

There are lots of political figures like that.

4 minutes ago, populist86 said:

Fair enough. I would recommend his book on Teddy Roosevelt. Besides, people can go to those schools and still be struggling financially (I know I'm definitely still blue collar even with a so-called elite degree), or could be class traitors (the GOP has had a ton historically).

I mostly agree RE:Trump, but until you deal with fraudulent voting it's hard for people to take the process seriously. There needs to be serious reform and more rigorous quality control in place.

I'm sure he's extremely qualified etc, but I'm looking more at who can win w voters not who most deserves or should win. I think win or lose he'd learn a lot getting in the mud against a lot of the Republicans in 2024 in debates and hes so young put himself in prime position for a VP spot or contending in 2028. So much time still he could easily change my mind. Again, just looking for the best person to run in a general.

Exactly. COVID imo played a big part bc you had to stand so far away from where the votes were being counted plus mail in voting. I really dont think the issues will be as legitimate in 4 years unless there's another massive disease outbreak. This was just an unusual circumstance. Trump made a bad mistake though bashing mail in voting (even if he was right) bc I guarantee he lost many on the fence voters he could have gotten. 

5 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Ya, Cruz makes a great Senator from Texas. But I don't think he should be running for POTUS. 

There are lots of political figures like that.

If Rubio had more of a spine he'd be perfect to run in a general. Sadly he does not.

Cruz would be my ideal pick for VP, since he would be a phenomenal attack dog and no one doubts his conservative credentials and doesn't have the corruption issues that Christie had.

Pence would be interesting but that Trump stain could hurt him tremendously in general, and I think he's way too far right on social issues. Can he go for VP again? LOL 

• Haha 1

Off the cuff my power rankings for Republican nomination:

1) DeSantis

2) Tucker Carlson

3) Donald Trump 

4) Mike Pence

5) Ted Cruz 

Anyone who went against Trump during the Impeachment trial has 0 shot of the nomination besides being some weird Kasich outlier. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Off the cuff my power rankings for Republican nomination:

1) DeSantis

2) Tucker Carlson

3) Donald Trump 

4) Mike Pence

5) Ted Cruz 

Anyone who went against Trump during the Impeachment trial has 0 shot of the nomination besides being some weird Kasich outlier. 

Seen the recent Republican nomination poll? Trump >50%, next highest I believe was around 12%.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Seen the recent Republican nomination poll? Trump >50%, next highest I believe was around 12%.

Trump Jr., Ivanka, etc wouldn't run either if he's on the ballot so closer to 60%+.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

He's even from Alberta, so you can claim his as your own. 😉

That's not a huge benefice, for the most part, from my perspective. This is Alberta, after all.😑

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

I disagree with the point your quoting. The GOP as a party leadership is in the process of throwing Trump under the bus, like they did to Nixon to Bush. Thus, voting to impeach him may lend MORE credibility to candidates depending on how that process plays out before 2024.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

I don’t care if he can win the nomination, he would easily win that even if you combined the field against him.

I mean the power ranking in terms of best chance to win back the White House from sleepy Joe. Trump is 3rd bc I believe DeSantis and Tucker can use a similar platform and keep his base if they were to win.

trump being off Twitter might actually help him long term. Im Deeply concerned he’ll never win back those swing state suburban voters if he were to run in a general. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Patine said:

I disagree with the point your quoting. The GOP as a party leadership is in the process of throwing Trump under the bus, like they did to Nixon to Bush. Thus, voting to impeach him may lend MORE credibility to candidates depending on how that process plays out before 2024.

General comment: the GOP's nomination process is different than the Dems'. Democrats take cues from party leadership, and endorsements mean a ton. People who win tend to be party insiders. For republicans, name recognition is everything. Whoever fights the most and gets his/her name out wins.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, populist86 said:

General comment: the GOP's nomination process is different than the Dems'. Democrats take cues from party leadership, and endorsements mean a ton. People who win tend to be party insiders. For republicans, name recognition is everything. Whoever fights the most and gets his/her name out wins.

I still imagine Trump's Presidency has divided the Republican voting base, and will continue to do so going forward. Some of the posters here behave as if the GOP voting base are still, and remain, and truly were (remember my talk of so many American voters being cheated in a given GE when their party nominates someone objectionable, but the other side is "worse," and Third Party and Independent candidates are firmly believed, without much question or thought, to be automatically and inherently, "unelectable") fully and solidly in Trump's ideological camp. I think that "undissenting bloc," ideal is a big myth - another good reason why the Duopoly screwing over voters needs to end and politically healthy, multi-party system with true, free-and-fair elections needs to be established.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I still imagine Trump's Presidency has divided the Republican voting base, and will continue to do so going forward. Some of the posters here behave as if the GOP voting base are still, and remain, and truly were (remember my talk of so many American voters being cheated in a given GE when their party nominates someone objectionable, but the other side is "worse," and Third Party and Independent candidates are firmly believed, without much question or thought, to be automatically and inherently, "unelectable") fully and solidly in Trump's ideological camp. I think that "undissenting bloc," ideal is a big myth - another good reason why the Duopoly screwing over voters needs to end and politically healthy, multi-party system with true, free-and-fair elections needs to be established.

"In any fight between Trump and McConnell, Trump is almost guaranteed to win. According to a YouGov poll, among Republicans Trump has a net favorability of +75 (87 percent favorable, 12 percent unfavorable). By contrast, McConnell has net favorability of -15 (36 percent favorable, 51 percent unfavorable)." https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-mcconnell-gop-feud/

"81% of Republican respondents gave him positive marks. Trump was at 77% approval among Republicans on Jan. 7 and 74% on Jan. 25." https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/16/republicans-cant-quit-trump-491756

Not really much of a divide.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Patine said:

The GOP as a party leadership is in the process of throwing Trump under the bus

Ya, that might happen - certainly people like McConnell want to. I'm not sure it's going to work that way, but we'll see!

26 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Tucker can use a similar platform

Colour me skeptical when it comes to Tucker. Like Cruz is a great Senator, Carlson is a great TV host. But as President?

3 minutes ago, populist86 said:

"In any fight between Trump and McConnell, Trump is almost guaranteed to win. According to a YouGov poll, among Republicans Trump has a net favorability of +75 (87 percent favorable, 12 percent unfavorable). By contrast, McConnell has net favorability of -15 (36 percent favorable, 51 percent unfavorable)." https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-mcconnell-gop-feud/

"81% of Republican respondents gave him positive marks. Trump was at 77% approval among Republicans on Jan. 7 and 74% on Jan. 25." https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/16/republicans-cant-quit-trump-491756

Not really much of a divide.

Yes, if it's between Trump and McConnell. But that's not really a fair division to disprove my point. And, it also buys into a myth of a solid, simplistic binary divide being the only factor as stake among the Republican voter base. American pollsters pushing sharp and hard binaries is a HIGH disservice to American elections and governance as a whole...

2 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Colour me skeptical when it comes to Tucker. Like Cruz is a great Senator, Carlson is a great TV host. But as President?

I'm still failing to see much of a "platform," of substance, anyways. Trump campaigned on rhetoric, polemics, hyperbole, melodrama, and attack ads, as well as toxic nostalgia and nursing myths and legends. His actual solid, consistent platform was very spotty and weak - and he did a lot of flip-flopping at the end of the day.