270soft Forum

I'm in the process of putting together a scenario for the delayed 2021 Oxford City Council elections. The elections will be particularly interesting as Oxford usually elects by halves, but the boundaries have been redrawn so all 48 Councillors are out for re-election.

I can see there is an option to 2 members elected per region, but i can't find a way to have more than 2 candidates per party or have electors cast two votes. Is this just not a feature supported in the game?

23 hours ago, Duverger said:

I'm in the process of putting together a scenario for the delayed 2021 Oxford City Council elections. The elections will be particularly interesting as Oxford usually elects by halves, but the boundaries have been redrawn so all 48 Councillors are out for re-election.

I can see there is an option to 2 members elected per region, but i can't find a way to have more than 2 candidates per party or have electors cast two votes. Is this just not a feature supported in the game?

You want a voter to be able to vote for two different candidates? No, can't currently be done.

Ah, that's a shame (but not a surprise). There are some interesting dynamics for the next Oxford elections with each ward electing two candidates, and I was curious to see if I could simulate what would happen if voters split their votes (e.g. in Cowley ward a former Labour Councillor will be running as an independent, and I'd be interested to see if enough Labour voters would use one of their two votes for him).

But I guess that would not be very easy to code into the game - which is fair enough! I'll see if I can share the custom build once it's at a reasonably representative state.

Two more queries which I would appreciate some guidance on-

First of all - I have coded the game to the same results as the 2018 elections (i.e. assuming similar turnout and percentages). Is turnout always fixed in the game? For example, the Conservatives typically poll 10,000 votes in General Elections in Oxford East, but only 4,000 votes for local elections - is there a way to capture these kind of stay at home voters, and make turnout variable?

For example - in 2016 Labour won North ward on 51%, with the Lib Dems on 26% and a 46% turnout. In 2018 the gap closed to 49% to Labour and 40% to the Lib Dems as turnout rose to 52%, with most of the 'new' votes going to the Lib Dems. I would like to recreate this kind of effect.

Secondly - quite a few voters vote tactically in local elections - as Labour are fairly dominant, the opposition voters tend to group behind the candidate most likely to beat the Labour candidate (e.g. Lib Dems in Cowley ward typically support the Green candidate). So far the best means I can find to capture this kind of detail is through the committed/leaning/undecided tab for each party's vote share in each ward. Is that the best mechanic in the game to do this?

So (for example) if 50% of Green voters in Cowley are tactical Lib Dems, is the best way to reproduce that to set the 'undecided' Greens to 50%, with (say) committed at 25% and leaning at 25%?

Thanks for advice and guidance! It's very interesting to put together a scenario that is both realistic, but also balanced enough to be playable and enjoyable. ­čÖé