270soft Forum

Port

tzmb

I know admin is working on the new port right now to make the game more accessible, but like when are we gonna get Instant Runoff voting in President Infinity and voting blocs? I feel like porting the game to a new tool chain was a bit unnecessary and has resulted in the game, essentially being a work-in-progress for a year when there was a perfectly fine game to build upon.  In trying to make the game more accessible and it really set the game back. 

The game didn't really need to be ported imo and I feel like the effort in getting the new port to function could have been used in improving old port. An official CA-2018 has been in limbo for years and was pushed back until it was forgotten about entirely Whatever happened to CA-2003 and AZ-2018 too? I understand that this is supposed to make the game more compatible on touch screen and other devices but I feel like it would be better to have a fully functional and fleshed out game instead of a might-someday-work-on-Catalina port when Big Sur releases tomorrow.  There's no point in trying to accommodate every OS. Just do what's best for the game

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, tzmb said:

The game didn't really need to be ported imo

Yes, there were significant technical issues with the old code base and technical framework. Mac compatibility with the old code already had to be dropped.

The old code base itself was a headache, using antiquated C++.

The port was necessary for the long-term progress of the games. But, the old games had basically been worked on for 15 years. Trying to port that in 1 year was ambitious, but that's part of working with real world events.

I don't follow the point about Big Sur - the old code base was incompatible with Macs going forward - Catalina, Big Sur, or whatever Apple releases next year.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:32 PM, admin_270 said:

Yes, there were significant technical issues with the old code base and technical framework. Mac compatibility with the old code already had to be dropped.

The old code base itself was a headache, using antiquated C++.

The port was necessary for the long-term progress of the games. But, the old games had basically been worked on for 15 years. Trying to port that in 1 year was ambitious, but that's part of working with real world events.

I don't follow the point about Big Sur - the old code base was incompatible with Macs going forward - Catalina, Big Sur, or whatever Apple releases next year.

C++ is still used in many places. the point about the mac OS is that it isn't worth catering the code base to brand new Mac OS being that the vast majority of people use windows. By the time you'll have fleshed out the port, there's a good chance that Apple will release something incompatible with it and you'll have to start over yet again.  

I understand why. I'm just saying that the game could be improved on as it was in "classic" version and very few people would complain about it not being compatible with whatever Apple is releasing this week.

16 hours ago, tzmb said:

there's a good chance that Apple will release something incompatible with it and you'll have to start over yet again

No, that shouldn't happen. For that to happen would require that Apple makes Unity incompatible with its OSes.

16 hours ago, tzmb said:

C++ is still used in many places

Yes, modern C++ is OK. The problem is I was stuck using an antiquated version of C++, because of the technical legacies dating back to when the games were started.