270soft Forum

12 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Have you considered adding a Proportional representation Electoral college? I think you can use the same formula as you do for primaries as they'd work the same way.

Do you mean nationwide PR? It's easy to implement the basic mechanics of this. But then all the strategy changes, and that's the difficult part to implement. 

15 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Do you mean nationwide PR? It's easy to implement the basic mechanics of this. But then all the strategy changes, and that's the difficult part to implement. 

What I meant was let's say the Republican comes in first place in Arizona for example.

He gets 56% of the vote.

So he'll get 56% of the electors available.

Dem gets 44% of the vote

They get 44% of the electors.

10 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

What I meant was let's say the Republican comes in first place in Arizona for example.

He gets 56% of the vote.

So he'll get 56% of the electors available.

Dem gets 44% of the vote

They get 44% of the electors.

Is there anywhere IRL this has been proposed?

Just now, TheLiberalKitten said:

I'm not too sure but I'll see if I can find any information on if any state has considered it. It would certainly be a fun feature to have in game though :)

Ya, would be fun as a counterfactual. Similar problem to nationwide PR, which is it changes strategy. Suddenly, campaigning in a state might only net a candidate, say, 1 EC vote. Similar to EC votes by CD in Nebraska and Maine, but basic mechanics of this is actually easier to do than CDs, which requires a new political unit tier in the campaign (U.S., Nebraska, Nebraska Congressional districts, for example).

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, would be fun as a counterfactual. Similar problem to nationwide PR, which is it changes strategy. Suddenly, campaigning in a state might only net a candidate, say, 1 EC vote. Similar to EC votes by CD in Nebraska and Maine, but basic mechanics of this is actually easier to do than CDs, which requires a new political unit tier in the campaign (U.S., Nebraska, Nebraska Congressional districts, for example).

Speaking of single congressional districts, after fiddling with scenarios I've made it is possible to add Nebraska and Maine's split electoral votes :)

Respectfully, I find European elections more interesting. There's simply more "gameability" due to the parliamentary system and it's more of a possibility to produce an uncertain outcome than it is to produce a Landslide either way. Plus, there are many European elections coming up sooner before 2024.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2020 at 7:51 PM, admin_270 said:

Could the strategy issue be solved by linking the 'news profile' attribute for states in the primaries to encourage certain states/regions to be targeted over others. As this can be adjusted by party primary already this could help determine party strategies?

34 minutes ago, daons said:

Could the strategy issue be solved by linking the 'news profile' attribute for states in the primaries to encourage certain states/regions to be targeted over others. As this can be adjusted by party primary already this could help determine party strategies?

I'm not sure I follow this. Could you rephrase?

18 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'm not sure I follow this. Could you rephrase?

During the Primaries, each state has a 'News Profile', so for example New Hampshire and Iowa provide very powerful news stories for the winning candidate which seems to cause the candidates to focus on those states even if other states hold contests earlier. Is there anyway this mechanic could be used in general elections to encourage candidates to focus on vote/delegate heavy states where they may be further behind such as California/New York rather than the states they are most likely to flip?

4 minutes ago, daons said:

During the Primaries, each state has a 'News Profile', so for example New Hampshire and Iowa provide very powerful news stories for the winning candidate which seems to cause the candidates to focus on those states even if other states hold contests earlier. Is there anyway this mechanic could be used in general elections to encourage candidates to focus on vote/delegate heavy states where they may be further behind such as California/New York rather than the states they are most likely to flip?

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yes, and that is the sort of way the AI would have to change. Basically, create a number that is how many votes likely to flip instead of whether will flip or keep 1st place in state.