270soft Forum

Election day!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to come back just to get a taste of the cope.

Thanks everyone for your comments on this thread. At least for the time being, there will be no more general political discussion threads on the forum. Please see here for more info. https://270s

TRUMP WILL WIN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN VOTE!

Posted Images

I guess it depends on how we're defining "landslide", but I really don't think there's a realistic chance of a Trump landslide.  If Trump wins, it'll be a narrower victory than 2016 (and I wouldn't have called that one a landslide).

• Upvote 1

The biggest victory in American presidential politics since the establishment of our current political party landscape was the election of 1936, where incumbent FDR defeated challenger Alf Landon, 523 electoral votes to Landon's 8.  Landon took Maine and Vermont, and the rest of the nation went to Roosevelt.

Similarly, Nixon won 520 electoral votes in his reelection, defeating George McGovern who carried 17 electoral votes (Massachusetts and District of Columbia) in the election of 1972.

Lastly, there's the election of George HW Bush who won 426 electoral votes over Michael Dukakis' 111 electors in 1988.

With those as guideposts, I would define a "landslide" as a victory where the winning side carries over 75% of the vote.

1 hour ago, Berg2036 said:

Yes the Biden campaign has a path to 270 if they lose Pennsylvania and Florida but that means running the table in North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona while holding MN, MI, and WI. Which could really happen. 

Yes, I think that's what the quote is alluding to.

44 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

god fucking damnit you keep reminding me of the people in my life who've told me your tastes cant fucking change i hate you admin

Re your recent poll post, please avoid personal attacks, including personal attacks disguised as polls.

Somehow a lot of the early results have stopped coming in..

most recent news I got.

Comments are saying Trump apparently needs a 400K advantage.. but that's with the assumption the majority of NPA/Other are voting Democrat which I highly disagree with.

I still like Trump's chances but I'll add a 2% hint of anxiety from this I suppose for now. 

1 hour ago, mlcorcoran said:

Biden's camp is saying they can win the Presidency no matter what happens in PA and Florida. They're pointing to the possibility of a runaway landslide victory, not spinning an impending defeat.

It's very bad news for the incumbent. Not phenomenal to anyone rooting for him.

Did you watch the interview? that's not it chief 

1 hour ago, Berg2036 said:

Yes the Biden campaign has a path to 270 if they lose Pennsylvania and Florida but that means running the table in North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona while holding MN, MI, and WI. Which could really happen. 

My question is, how plausible is it for Biden to run the table in NC, GA, an AZ if Biden loses FL and PA?

• Thanks 1

Notice how Nate conveniently forgets to note how poor Democratic turnout has been so far today despite his hundreds of tweets saying what a giant gap Republican have to overcome from mail in voting

Democrats better HOPE the margins from independents are closer to 80-20 than 60-40.. which I've seen absolutely 0 mentions of for the last month re: Independents going to Democrats. 

• Haha 2

It will be quite a night.

1 hour ago, mlcorcoran said:

The biggest victory in American presidential politics since the establishment of our current political party landscape was the election of 1936, where incumbent FDR defeated challenger Alf Landon, 523 electoral votes to Landon's 8.  Landon took Maine and Vermont, and the rest of the nation went to Roosevelt.

Similarly, Nixon won 520 electoral votes in his reelection, defeating George McGovern who carried 17 electoral votes (Massachusetts and District of Columbia) in the election of 1972.

Lastly, there's the election of George HW Bush who won 426 electoral votes over Michael Dukakis' 111 electors in 1988.

With those as guideposts, I would define a "landslide" as a victory where the winning side carries over 75% of the vote.

538 defines it as a double digit margin in the popular vote.

Personally, I'm more generous and would consider Obama's 1st win (7.2% in the popular vote, 192 in the EC) a "landslide" relative to how partisan and close the elections have been in the last twenty years.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Re your recent poll post, please avoid personal attacks, including personal attacks disguised as polls.

Asking a simple question is not a personal attack. If you'd like explanation I'd gladly give it to you.

• Like 1