270soft Forum

Can fringe candidates win?

qqmag

I am wondering if candidates with fringe, mostly far-left / far-right views can:

1. Win the primary?

2. Win the general election?

3. How does the far-left/far-right views affect the campaign?

In other words, does the game take into account the extremity of the views, or do they just take the average? For example, imagine a candidate who is far right on half the issues, and far left on the other. Now, on average, this candidate is a centrist. But in practice this would be under heavy attack for each of their issues. 

I am particularly interested in how this works for candidates who in general are not the strongest, i.e Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Andrew Yang, Bernie Sanders and so forth. How would you run a successful campaign with these types of candidates?

• Upvote 1

How do I get other party members to endorse me? It is a broken convention and me and my opponent has about 45 % of the delegates each, but they keep going to my opponent in the convention.

I have about 1200 but need 1217. Yet no one endorses me, even if I offer them a VP shot. This is the 2016 campaign so there are essentially 5-10 candidates who could be VP if they endorsed me

5 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Who will get more votes Kanye or Brock? I think Kanye is more interesting but both should be added 

As you know, the election isn't decided by popular vote.  Pierce is on the ballot in states with 123 electoral votes compared to 84 for West.

31 minutes ago, billay said:

I've won with Rand Paul and Sanders. Closest I've ever gotten with a third party was Bloomberg won 155 EV

Very impressive. I wonder how. 

I just finished my campaign and it was....one for the memory books! Started off with Rand Paul in the 2016 election with normal difficulty and earliest possible date. No changing ideologies, because that ruins the fun of the experiment.  Of course I started the game improving debating skills, issue knowledge and CP and SP, the boring stuff. Disclaimer: I won every debate

What was more interesting was how close the Republican Primary was. First Bush led  but only marginally, and he got wrecked before September came around. Next up was Trump who easily was held down due to scandals before the primary season got around. The establishment was stuck between numerous choices. Out of left field, quite literally, came Jindal and took Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada each in turn. At that point he was not even in the top 8 in polls nationwide. The battle became between me and Jindal, and as the picture below sums up: I won Michigan by 1 vote!  

michigan.thumb.png.e38fc5943ea0d84bf850822beb73cc82.png

This was the final nomination delegates, I won a majority just barely. All the other candidates would have supported Jindal, and he would win at a contested convention.

PAUlprimary.thumb.png.f433a48721006f40095cfc99e43d7367.png

(What do you make of the map above? Seems the richer coastal states tend to favor me. Jindal seems to have the support of working class republicans)

With the convention locked up, I chose Rubio because he had high charisma, debating and issue knowledge, so great for rallies and winning the VP debate. 

Alas, that is where the fun ended.  In the general election I started off with 100 EVs and Clinton had 400+ from the get go. Despite me focusing my themes on Clinton corruption and integrity, as well as researching scandal and releasing them just before the election. I spent way more time trying to see if I could make a comeback, but it was pretty hopeless. It may just seem as if I gave up, but I fought min-maxing this result and honestly, it could have been a LOT worse. Hilary targeted me on every issue I was far-right as her theme, so she tried very successfully to KO me.

paul.thumb.png.1257d3b1407476d4a3e01136b2c95b38.png

(What do you make of the map above? I outperformed in EVs, but did better in some states like on the West Coast in California and Washington - where they are more anti-war like me compared on Clinton. On the other hand, Clinton won the working class, middle class and people voted for her despite seeing her as corrupt.)

17 minutes ago, pilight said:

As you know, the election isn't decided by popular vote.  Pierce is on the ballot in states with 123 electoral votes compared to 84 for West.

And that's Kanye's bad campaign team who failed to get him on more ballots.

Kanye the candidate is more noteworthy than Pierce sorry to say. He might actually make an impact in Minnesota and other states