270soft Forum

Disturbing Internet Behaviour on Brink of 2020 Election

Patine

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W @PoliticalPundit

In the last week or so, I have noticed a phenomenon on the Internet I have never witnessed before, personally. On the these forums, noticeably, the OT forums of the CivFanatics site, "Trade chat," on the MMO World of Warcraft, and even the comments section (but not actual articles) of certain CBC online news articles (and that's a CANADIAN news site) - I can only imagine what goes on in this regard on places I do not venture, like Facebook, Twitter, 4chan, and comments sections of American news sites - something very disturbing and troubling is happening. Many Biden supporter and Trump supporter are debating the results of the coming election in a very different - and very downright disturbing manner - than is ordinary. Many are declaring predictions - both specific and wholistic - for the election and piecemeal results, but often in very irrational, arbitrary, and even nonsensical (or only semi-sensical) arguments, a lot of emotion and shouting each other down over countering points rationally, and reaching to links of dubious individuals to back up their points. It almost seems as if the logical and statistical discussion has been subordinate to a form of wish fulfillment through repeated, aggressive, and vociferous rhetorical declaration, or like a form of old paradigm parapsychology or consensual reality is being invoked - that is, talking their point of view into reality through a form of magical thinking. I have noticed this trend and it is a bit eerie, especially to come together as much in my mind on Halloween...

• Like 1

Silly season always brings out the worst in people, but I do agree with your point about it being worse this year than usual.  I think that Trump is such a polarizing person that nearly everyone either loves or hates him, thus creating the strong emotions attached to this election.

Eh, worst case scenario, it’s 2016 again.  We’ve been through that, and it sucks and I hate it, but it’s not going to be a civil war or whatever.  Just people being rude to each other from the safety of their computer/phone screens, which has been happening forever.  

I can’t respect anyone that I know votes for Trump, and I’m not sad to lose those people from my life.  But that doesn’t mean I’m going to go murder them, as the crazy “civil war!” people pretend would happen.

Take it from a guy who’s been through war — almost nobody who spends their time arguing on the internet has what it takes to survive...including me, these days.  There will be no war except the one fought through rude words on the internet.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Eh, worst case scenario, it’s 2016 again.  We’ve been through that, and it sucks and I hate it, but it’s not going to be a civil war or whatever.  Just people being rude to each other from the safety of their computer/phone screens, which has been happening forever.  

I can’t respect anyone that I know votes for Trump, and I’m not sad to lose those people from my life.  But that doesn’t mean I’m going to go murder them, as the crazy “civil war!” people pretend would happen.

Take it from a guy who’s been through war — almost nobody who spends their time arguing on the internet has what it takes to survive...including me, these days.  There will be no war except the one fought through rude words on the internet.

People didnt riot in 2016.

now people feel entitled to 

its gonna be a civil war in the streets 

7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

To be honest, this is one thing that I think has greatly influenced the creation of our outrage-oriented society today.  Before the invention of smartphones, social media platforms, etc., humanity had no way of expressing the things that they do anonymously over the internet now.  Would we really tell someone some of the things that we say online to their face?  There certainly was no fake social media profile to hide behind 40 years ago, at most you could probably send someone an anonymous letter.

I personally believe that the existence of modern technology has helped to erode part of the respect we once had for each other.  Humanity has always had problems, but I think that we have a much poorer way of conflict resolution in our modern times compared to prior eras.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I have never cut someone from my life for how they voted, or intended to vote. My Aunt (my late Father's sister) and her husband (thus my Uncle, the only living relatives I have contact with on my Father's side of the family) live in Rural Alberta (though they were Snowbirding a lot for a few years before COVID closed the border) have long been staunch supporters of the Reform Party of Canada, then Canadian Alliance, then the Conservative Party of Canada, and the Alberta Alliance, then Wildrose Alliance, then United Conservative Party Provincially (chains of right-wing parties at the Federal and Provincial, respectively, levels of Government through various mergers), parties very antagonistic to my views and beliefs, and to my line of work, who I wouldn't for if they were the only party on the ballot in my riding. If Kevin O'Leary (a reality show businessman who was viewed as a potential "Canadian Trump,") had won the Conservative Party Leadership Race in 2017, I'm sure they would still have voted Conservative in the 2019 Federal Election, and I'm sure they would as well Ontario Premier Doug Ford (another person sometimes called a "Canadian Trump,") moved up to the Federal level at some point. But it doesn't that our familial relations on a personal level end or become strained. I don't think I can fully respect families and long-standing friendships just ending like that over a single vote, and it strikes me as a clear sign of a toxic political zeitgeist, and willingly succumbing to such a social cancer. That's how I see it, at least.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

"

I can’t respect anyone that I know votes for Trump, and I’m not sad to lose those people from my life." 

That's very unfortunate @Actinguy

Not really.  I have a very full life, mostly surrounded by people who care about the downtrodden, or at least have the good sense to not tell people if they don't.  I am not short on people who bring joy to my life -- I can spare those who do not.

30 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

People didnt riot in 2016.

now people feel entitled to 

its gonna be a civil war in the streets 

It's literally not, though.

You think rioting is a 2020 invention?

Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told, can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall, can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all.
Together we stand, divided we fall.

6 hours ago, Wiw said:

Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told, can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall, can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all.
Together we stand, divided we fall.

Ah, Pink Floyd. They wrote the album, "The Wall," about the Vietnam War and the paranoid and divisive Cold War mentality, of course, and Roger Walters came back and performed with the Scorpions and others at the concert right after the Fall of the Berlin Wall. In fact, this some is an all-time favourite of mine.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:46 PM, Patine said:

...If Kevin O'Leary (a reality show businessman who was viewed as a potential "Canadian Trump,") had won the Conservative Party Leadership Race in 2017, I'm sure they would still have voted Conservative in the 2019 Federal Election...

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to "Mr. Wonderful" on Shark Tank as a 'Canadian Trump'

The analogy doesn't fit.

O'Leary is actually successful in business, not just pretend successful for game show tv cameras.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mlcorcoran said:

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to "Mr. Wonderful" on Shark Tank as a 'Canadian Trump'

The analogy doesn't fit.

O'Leary is actually successful in business, not just pretend successful for game show tv cameras.

Did you watch his Conservative Party of Canada Leadership bid campaign in 2017?

No, I did not follow Kevin O'Leary's attempted run at public office.

I know nothing about his positions on public policy, his qualifications for holding public office, or his general temperament regarding government outside of his characterization on the Shark Tank show. Nor do I claim to know any of the above.

My only point - made in jest although it is accurate - is that comparing O'Leary to Donald Trump falls apart on the grounds that O'Leary is an accomplished and competent businessman and Donald Trump pretends to be, claims to be, but is actually not.

1 minute ago, mlcorcoran said:

No, I did not follow Kevin O'Leary's attempted run at public office.

I know nothing about his positions on public policy, his qualifications for holding public office, or his general temperament regarding government outside of his characterization on the Shark Tank show. Nor do I claim to know any of the above.

My only point - made in jest although it is accurate - is that comparing O'Leary to Donald Trump falls apart on the grounds that O'Leary is an accomplished and competent businessman and Donald Trump pretends to be, claims to be, but is actually not.

It's obviously you're just not seeing enough of him, and you're judging solely by one reality show, and trying to contravene what we witnessed here in Canada from your limited perspective. Didn't it ever occur to you he just might manipulatively exploit the trope, "Americans almost never follow Canadian news," to keep his Shark Tank image intact (unless he just happened to win the leadership race, but then it wouldn't really have mattered, right)?

In what ways is Kevin O'Leary similar to Donald Trump?

The "successful businessman" comparison is thoroughly debunked, as I've previously stated.

What policy positions does Kevin O'Leary share with Donald Trump?

...that's a trick question of course. Donald Trump has no policy positions.

Has Kevin O'Leary grabbed and groped women? Is he in debt to hostile foreign governments? Has he sabotaged peaceful relations with Canada's allies and demonstrated sycophancy toward dictators? Has he deliberately subverted Canadian rule of law? Does he deliberately spread disinformation about COVID 19 or Canadian election laws? Does he forcibly separate immigrant children from their parents and lock them in cages?

It is true that I have not followed Canadian politics very closely, though it's not because of the trope of American ignorance as you've implied. Rather it's because I've spent more attention on political situations in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Japan, Belarus, Turkey, Israel, Italy, and Hong Kong.

I don't question the legitimacy of your wariness towards Kevin O'Leary as a prospective politician. I just do not see any similarity between him and Donald Trump. If there's credible evidence of it out there, I'm open to learning more.