270soft Forum

Labour Suspends Jeremy Corbyn

CPE

Hi all,

It appears as if Labour in the UK will continue their process of self-immolation by suspending Jeremy Corbyn over accusations of rampant anti-Semitism being unaddressed during his leadership of the party.  It truly appears as if the Boris and the Tories will have no viable opposition to their rule any time soon thanks to continued infighting within Labour, thoughts?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13070210/keir-starmer-tearing-labour-apart-jeremy-corbyn/

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Labour has a 5 point lead according to recent polls. It doesnt look like its having a big difference on the party. I'm glad Starmer took a firm stance on antisemitism within the party. Regardless of the source it should be called out. 

Other recent polls besides IPSOS show a Tory lead of +3.  Opposition to the Tories seems to stem more from the COVID lockdowns + other related annoyances more than any meaningful leadership from Labour.  It seems to be that way in a couple of places now, with the lockdowns becoming increasingly unpopular in particular.

I will be watching to see if the party splits, Corbyn still has some diehard supporters in his ranks.

2 hours ago, Defiant said:

About damn time.

Even a plurality of Labor voters support this decision.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1321904985513361408

I wish that they would have polled more Labour members instead of worrying what a Tory or Liberal Democrat thinks about Corbyn lol.  Even with those numbers for Labour supporters, 26% is not an insignificant amount.  Corbyn is definitely a controversial figure, but it could hurt the party if let's say even 5% of Labour leaves the party (an election is a long time away, but there is always time for hypotheticals lol).

50 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

Its deserved at this point if I'm being honest. Took the L twice. Always with excuses. While the media may have been against him at times, my boy should own up to it.

Yeah, he bought himself some time with a decent 2017 result (especially considering that most thought the Tories were going to secure another majority), however, 2019 was an absolute disaster.  He was way too wish-washy when it came to Brexit, and it cost Labour dearly.

15 minutes ago, CPE said:

I wish that they would have polled more Labour members instead of worrying what a Tory or Liberal Democrat thinks about Corbyn lol.  Even with those numbers for Labour supporters, 26% is not an insignificant amount.  Corbyn is definitely a controversial figure, but it could hurt the party if let's say even 5% of Labour leaves the party (an election is a long time away, but there is always time for hypotheticals lol).

Yeah, he bought himself some time with a decent 2017 result (especially considering that most thought the Tories were going to secure another majority), however, 2019 was an absolute disaster.  He was way too wish-washy when it came to Brexit, and it cost Labour dearly.

To be fair, if the DUP can survive the retirement, and later passing away, of Ian Paisley, whom the party was practically built around, I think Labour might just pull through post-Corbyn.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

To be fair, if the DUP can survive the retirement, and later passing away, of Ian Paisley, whom the party was practically built around, I think Labour might just pull through post-Corbyn.

Absolutely. Labour will come back :)

Even if it takes a few more years 

55 minutes ago, CPE said:

26% support for him *within* his party sounds to me as pretty abysmal, though.  But then, he had had very low favorability rating for a long time, even within Labour (IIRC, there was a poll of Labour voters  showing that he was significantly less popular than his Liberal Democratic opponent?).   And of course, there's also  question: How many votes did he drive away from Labour?  

Jeremy Corbin is hugely popular with a large section of Labour Party members. But in terms of the entire electorate he’s incredibly unpopular. This will help Starmer a lot more than it hurts him.

The new lockdown in the UK is gonna hurt the Tories though.  I already know some friends who have dropped their membership with the party in reaction to the announcement. Labor is not going away while people are pissed off at Borris.

18 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I still don't get it, the man fought against racism all his life, but now he has to take the blame for something that was evidently out of his control?

He tried to brush anti-semitism under the carpet to avoid publicity, attracted a lot of anti-semites to the party, and couldn't understand why a blantantly anti-semitic mural was being taken down.

I don't think he's anti-semitic at all, just anti-zionist. But there is a very real problem with anti-semitism among many who follow him and he did essentially nothing to try and combat it.

And frankly, the pitiful job he did defending our status in the EU, makes it very difficult to sympathise with him.

2 hours ago, Mark_W said:

He tried to brush anti-semitism under the carpet to avoid publicity, attracted a lot of anti-semites to the party, and couldn't understand why a blantantly anti-semitic mural was being taken down.

I don't think he's anti-semitic at all, just anti-zionist. But there is a very real problem with anti-semitism among many who follow him and he did essentially nothing to try and combat it.

And frankly, the pitiful job he did defending our status in the EU, makes it very difficult to sympathise with him.

Well, that is indeed bad. Just pretending it wasn't there made it worse.