270soft Forum

Dystopia Poll

Which US Dystopia would you hate living in the most?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which US Dystopia Would you hate living in the most?

• Panam (Hunger Games)
    • Gilead (Handmaid’s Tale)
    • The Greater American Reich (Man in the High Castle)
    • Oceania (1984)
    • Second American Civil War (Kaiserriech)
    • Other (Comment Below)

Definitely the Man in the High Castle. Seeing the Liberty Bell turned into a Swastika and the state of Liberty being shot down alone by Nazis would probably end up with me and several Nazis dead.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Berg2036 said:

I havent seen The Man in the High Castle is it good? Being apart of the LGTB community gilead would not be a good place lol

The Man in the High Castle, is watchable and enjoyable, but I feel like the first couple of seasons were stronger than the last couple - it changed it's emphasis from drama to sci-fi and I don't think that was the best decision.

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

Hunger Games, Man in the High Castle, and 1984 were the toughest choices. These all would be bad bad though. 

Is Hunger Games actually U.S? The polity in question is very fuzzily defined.

1 hour ago, Zenobiyl said:

Which would be worst to you personally?

I think '80's corporatist dictatorship dystopian fiction (Bladerunner, the Running Man, the Robocop Trilogy, Cyberpunk 2020, and others) are underestimated for sheer dystopian value, and none were on your list. Brave New World (also a fuzzily defined polity) is pretty sinister as well, as are the hidden and insidious undertones seething beneath Demolition Man. The Syndic and Starship Troopers are downright horrifying, too.

I chose Man in the High Castle out of these, but as Patine mentioned, Running Man and Bladerunner, anything Cyberpunk are also really good. The Deus Ex games are also a good example of this. Tbh, if a more Cyberpunk/ Sci-Fi dystopia was on here I probably would've picked it. 

50 minutes ago, Berg2036 said:

I havent seen The Man in the High Castle is it good? Being apart of the LGTB community gilead would not be a good place lol

Only the first two seasons. I haven't even seen most of the series but I like how it renders real-life American characters into the Nazi-America. J. Edgar Hoover is a leader of a Nazi FBI, and George Lincoln Rockwell, who founded the American Nazi Party IRL, is the Head of State of the American Nazi Empire (while Himmler is the leader of the entire Nazi Empire)

Here's the scene that made me watch it. Don't read comments or skip ahead.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Only the first two seasons. I haven't even seen most of the series but I like how it renders real-life American characters into the Nazi-America. J. Edgar Hoover is a leader of a Nazi FBI, and George Lincoln Rockwell, who founded the American Nazi Party IRL, is the Head of State of the American Nazi Empire (while Himmler is the leader of the entire Nazi Empire)

Here's the scene that made me watch it. Don't read comments or skip ahead.

Demolition Man should be a lot more terrifying and insidious to a a self-described Libertarian like you.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Patine said:

Demolition Man should be a lot more terrifying and insidious to a a self-described Libertarian like you.

I haven't seen it but I'll check it out.

Also I'm curious as to what you mean by "self-described?"

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I haven't seen it but I'll check it out.

Also I'm curious as to what you mean by "self-described?"

It's a safe way of giving someone the benefit of the doubt that they live up to the ideology they espouse without grilling them over their adherence to it. At least that's the polite version of using the reference. There IS, however, also the way harsh usage journalists and political critics and academics use, but that's not the case here.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's a safe way of giving someone the benefit of the doubt that they live up to the ideology they espouse without grilling them over their adherence to it. At least that's the polite version of using the reference. There IS, however, also the way harsh usage journalists and political critics and academics use, but that's not the case here.

Spoken like a true 'self-described' Canadian 😛 

31 minutes ago, Patine said:

Is Hunger Games actually U.S? The polity in question is very fuzzily defined.

It's North America as a whole, or well that's how it's described. But everything is broken into new different sections. 

1 hour ago, pilight said:

The Rise of the Meritocracy by Michael Young

Good powers forbid competent people who know what they're doing actually govern! What a nightmarish and ghoulish dystopia! :S

56 minutes ago, Defiant said:

Pretty sure I likely wouldn't be alive in the Man in the High Castle since I would have two strikes against me (Being Jewish and being gay).  I haven't watched/read any of the others.

You could make a run for Japanese America

1 minute ago, Zenobiyl said:

The problem is, Axis-winning-WW2 fiction has become as long in the tooth in the fiction market as Confederacy-winning-the-U.S.-Civil-War fiction. They're both far too common and overplayed to really have the full impact on a modern audience their authors/creators truly desire. That would be my concern, from a literary criticism.

6 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Even there, it meant execution if I was discovered even if it they weren't as actively obsessed with it and I might be able to survive in hiding  The only real option would be the neutral zone.  Not a great option, but at least it's far less likely that I would be dead.

1 minute ago, Defiant said:

Even there, it meant execution if I was discovered even if it wasn't as stringently enforced.  The only real option would be the neutral zone.  Not a great option, but at least it's far less likely that I would be dead.

Maybe for being homosexual, but Far Eastern Jews were collaborating with the Japanese in the Manchukuo and Shanghai puppet governments.