270soft Forum

What would happen if...

6 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Goes to the senate and trump wins

That doesn't quite seem right according to this source. The senate picks the VP. But assuming the senate is split and can't choose one option, then I wonder what happens

23 minutes ago, qqmag said:

That doesn't quite seem right according to this source. The senate picks the VP. But assuming the senate is split and can't choose one option, then I wonder what happens

Republicans controlled 27 state’s house delegations in 2016.

Republicans also controlled the senate.

5 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Republicans controlled 27 state’s house delegations in 2016.

Republicans also controlled the senate.

The Senate only determines the Vice President, it has no power to determine the Presidency. That lies solely with the House and that vote stays in the House until it can be resolved.

6 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

The Senate only determines the Vice President, it has no power to determine the Presidency. That lies solely with the House and that vote stays in the House until it can be resolved.

Yeah but if they cant pick a president, the VP becomes acting president.

5 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Yeah but if they cant pick a president, the VP becomes acting president.

Ah I catch your drift. Yes, you are correct.

Yes, on paper, Trump wins in this scenario.

But in reality?

McMullin was just as capable of the math as we are.  But his ploy was that, while the Republican Party might accept a duly elected Donald Trump, they might be less eager to be personally responsible for handing him a win he didn’t earn.

Its one thing to say “hey, this is who the people chose, what can ya do”.  It’s a whole different thing to have to explain to your congressional district why you personally handed the keys of the White House to someone who failed to win 270 electoral votes — a couple weeks after he got caught bragging about grabbing nonconsenting women “by the pussy.”

Thats a hard sell, in anything but the purest MAGA district, if he didn’t win the election on his own.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they turn around and hand the keys to the literally unknown McMullin either.  And they’re obviously not giving it to Clinton.

But the constitution provides the Republican Party with a perfect “out” — just fail to coalesce around a winner, and Mike Pence...infinitely more acceptable to Republican establishment...becomes President.

8 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Yes, on paper, Trump wins in this scenario.

But in reality?

McMullin was just as capable of the math as we are.  But his ploy was that, while the Republican Party might accept a duly elected Donald Trump, they might be less eager to be personally responsible for handing him a win he didn’t earn.

Its one thing to say “hey, this is who the people chose, what can ya do”.  It’s a whole different thing to have to explain to your congressional district why you personally handed the keys of the White House to someone who failed to win 270 electoral votes — a couple weeks after he got caught bragging about grabbing nonconsenting women “by the pussy.”

Thats a hard sell, in anything but the purest MAGA district, if he didn’t win the election on his own.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they turn around and hand the keys to the literally unknown McMullin either.  And they’re obviously not giving it to Clinton.

But the constitution provides the Republican Party with a perfect “out” — just fail to coalesce around a winner, and Mike Pence...infinitely more acceptable to Republican establishment...becomes President.

That makes perfect sense. Would cause a civil war in the party, but I know many conservatives that dislike Trumps attitude/rhetoric and think Mike Pence is a “true conservative” etc.

Even if he wanted to work with either candidate (and I figure he's smart enough to realize that one of them would be President), I'm not sure how much power McMullin would have.  Even if the electors follows his recommendation on who to vote for, Utah has the power to cancel faithless electors.

That said, if he did have the power, I would imagine he would either have a preference between the two candidates or else see what both sides would offer (eg, maybe cabinet positions for him and 5 of his closest political friends or something).  I don't think refusing to work with anyone makes any sense.

30 minutes ago, Defiant said:

Even if he wanted to work with either candidate (and I figure he's smart enough to realize that one of them would be President), I'm not sure how much power McMullin would have.  Even if the electors follows his recommendation on who to vote for, Utah has the power to cancel faithless electors.

That said, if he did have the power, I would imagine he would either have a preference between the two candidates or else see what both sides would offer (eg, maybe cabinet positions for him and 5 of his closest political friends or something).  I don't think refusing to work with anyone makes any sense.

His whole ploy was exactly what I described above (except, with the hope the party would find him preferable to Trump, instead of the more likely outcome of choosing no one and letting Pence have it).  He didn't run for President with the hope that the effort would all be worthwhile as long as he could get his college roommate appointed to the FDA.