270soft Forum

Judge Amy Coney Barrett Confirmation Thread

Just now, Zenobiyl said:

In that case I guess he’s safe to not wear a mask idk.

No, no he is not. Do not let misinformation dissuade anyone from wearing a mask.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why would he wear a mask?

Rand Paul is Not wearing a mask on the Senate floor

Now I can only hope she is as independent as she claims to be. 

Posted Images

Just now, Reagan04 said:

No, no he is not. Do not let misinformation dissuade anyone from wearing a mask.

Dobs is right. He should at least be careful on the chance that immunity wears off (which hasn't been proven one way or another).

• Upvote 1

52-48!! 

Congratulations Madame Justice!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Now I can only hope she is as independent as she claims to be. 

I have the utmost faith.

With an external look, both parties seem increasingly going at war to each others.

If Biden wins by the 3rd of November, it may have an impact on the Court to be moderate like it was under FDR when there was the temptation to pack the Court.

• Thanks 1

I have no comment on the SC confirmation. I'll save my reaction until I see her performance.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

He should at least be careful on the chance that immunity wears off (which hasn't been proven one way or another).

The default position is that the vast majority of people gain immunity to these sorts of viruses, once they are exposed and fight it off. There's little evidence to believe otherwise ("89 year old on chemotherapy gets reinfected!" is not that compelling of evidence). 

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Sometimes the obstinance towards immunobiology and virology you show on these topics concerns me.

Care to link to an authoritative source saying people don't develop immunity to these sorts of viruses after they fight it off?

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Then why are people spending billions of dollars on a vaccine? They work on the same principle.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The default position is that the vast majority of people gain immunity to these sorts of viruses, once they are exposed and fight it off. There's little evidence to believe otherwise ("89 year old on chemotherapy gets reinfected!" is not that compelling of evidence). 

My main reaction to Rand Paul not wearing a mask was not about him potentially getting reinfected but it was more about leadership. A Senator not wearing a mask is not setting a good example for people that should be wearing masks. I also expect him to be the type to not wear a mask even if he had never been infected. 

Just now, vcczar said:

My main reaction to Rand Paul not wearing a mask was not about him potentially getting reinfected but it was more about leadership. A Senator not wearing a mask is not setting a good example for people that should be wearing masks. I also expect him to be the type to not wear a mask even if he had never been infected. 

Ya, this is a totally reasonable view (if you think wearing masks helps slow the spread of Covid-19).

The evidence so far suggests that people receive immunity for at least a few months, but that immunity wears down (though exactly how long may be different in each case).  There have been a handful of documented cases of reinfection after a few months (which suggests immunity is not permanent) but it's only a few cases (if it were short for everyone, we would see a whole lot more reinfections).

Even with chicken pox there is a (minor) possibility of reinfection.  With flu, the immunity wears down relatively quickly.

And even with a vaccine, there's a good chance the vaccine won't be effective for everyone (IIUC, they want at least 50% effectiveness, although more would be better of course.)

I wouldn't think that Paul would be infectious now, unless he got reinfected, but I'm much more pissed off at his behavior back when he found out he was infected and asymptomatic and he didn't isolate.  Also, one of the Senators that tested positive recently wasn't wearing a mask at some point recently. (Although really, they should all be wearing masks inside)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Defiant said:

The evidence so far suggests that people receive immunity for at least a few months, but that immunity wears down (though exactly how long may be different in each case).  There have been a handful of documented cases of reinfection after a few months (which suggests immunity is not permanent) but it's only a few cases (if it were short for everyone, we would see a whole lot more reinfections).

Even with chicken pox there is a (minor) possibility of reinfection.  With flu, the immunity wears down relatively quickly.

And even with a vaccine, there's a good chance the vaccine won't be effective for everyone (IIUC, they want at least 50% effectiveness, although more would be better of course.)

I wouldn't think that Paul would be infectious now, unless he got reinfected, but I'm much more pissed off at his behavior back when he found out he was infected and asymptomatic and he didn't isolate.  Also, one of the Senators that tested positive recently wasn't wearing a mask at some point recently. (Although really, they should all be wearing masks inside)

image.png.9b6c9b758eefaa83268e350f7a4be4e0.png

A recent British study backs you up. It also shows that those who had a mild case lose the antibodies faster than those who had a severe case of COVID.

2 hours ago, Defiant said:

Also, one of the Senators that tested positive recently wasn't wearing a mask at some point recently.

The majority of people who get Covid-19 in the U.S. are wearing masks regularly when out and about.

8 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The majority of people who get Covid-19 in the U.S. are wearing masks regularly when out and about.

But likely not exactly 100% of the time. Plus, it depends more on *other* people wearing them than you, because you're protecting others, and they should be protecting you.

33 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

99% of the point of wearing (non-n95) masks is largely to prevent *others* from being infected (1% is to rob banks).  There's some  evidence that suggests wearing a (non-n95) mask may reduce the chance that the wearer not get the disease, or to increase the chance that the infection they get is mild, but it's not conclusive).  

Also, I would point out that people who are likely to be in situations where they're likely going to increase their exposure a lot are also more likely to wear a mask, so the results you mention shouldn't be too surprising.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

But likely not exactly 100% of the time. Plus, it depends more on *other* people wearing them than you, because you're protecting others, and they should be protecting you.

Ah, you're talking about that Senator giving it to others. I thought you were talking about how the Senator got it.

3 hours ago, Defiant said:

There have been 10s of millions of people who have gotten Covid-19 in the U.S. alone - hundreds of millions globally. This has been going on for ~10 months. If reinfection from the same strain were a major concern, there would be way more cases than this.

28 minutes ago, Defiant said:

Also, I would point out that people who are likely to be in situations where they're likely going to increase their exposure a lot are also more likely to wear a mask, so the results you mention shouldn't be too surprising.

Ya, actually an argument against masks. Some people seem to think cloth masks are talisman-like shields that protect people from the evil-eye of Covid-19. They therefore take actions that are more likely to result in exposure when they're wearing them.