270soft Forum

Modification to forum rules

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Seems legitimate to me to say "That's from Frank Luntz and Luntz isn't reliable for reason x, y, z." Also legitimate to say "Luntz is reliable for reason x, y, z." Focus on the facts at issue. Reasonable people can disagree.

Agreed and that's what I find about 95% of the time on this board which is why I enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Keep your comments fact-oriented and if you want to attack, attack an idea, not a user." Keep in mind there are people from various political backgrounds here. The great advantage of a place lik

I really think you're missing the point. Rules should always be challenged, and questioned, so that they're improved. They also should be clear and universally understood, if they're not then they're

Then just block him, why should you care if Vcczar "attacks" you? 

3 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

The fact that people are trying to blatantly cheat and step over @admin_270's rules w semantics to make personal attacks instead of just FOLLOWING THEM is so unfortunate.

I really think you're missing the point. Rules should always be challenged, and questioned, so that they're improved. They also should be clear and universally understood, if they're not then they're not good rules. Nobody is trying to cheat, or step over anything, they're trying to bring clarity and ensure that the rules benefit all of us rather than make things worse.

• Upvote 4
Just now, Mark_W said:

I really think you're missing the point. Rules should always be challenged, and questioned, so that they're improved. They also should be clear and universally understood, if they're not then they're not good rules. Nobody is trying to cheat, or step over anything, they're trying to bring clarity and ensure that the rules benefit all of us rather than make things worse.

I disagree since it's clear someone has a personal agenda based on their best friend getting banned that they have been repeatedly gotten warned about w no repercussions. 

And their post is clearly more personal attacks at me guised in "I'm following the rules bc I'm personally attacking a poster but putting it in the disguise of an idea". 

As @admin_270 said, it's a judgement call which apparently is being let slide in this thread but hopefully if said for the.. 5th time in a separate thread is dealt w appropriately. 

@admin_270 Is there a way to grant forum users power to create threads that are invite only, similar to the Steering Committee and Project America forums. One thing that some of use would like is to have a thread that is devoid of toxic, trolls, and/or disharmonious people. Lamentably, this means new people won't see the threads, but I guess they could be added in later if they prove themselves to be harmonious with long-standing users who have been on here for years. 

3 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

And their post is clearly more personal attacks at me guised in "I'm following the rules bc I'm personally attacking a poster but putting it in the disguise of an idea".

Yes, probably the case, and perhaps to generate a reaction. @vcczar cease and desist, s'il vous plait.

• Thanks 1
Just now, vcczar said:

@admin_270 Is there a way to grant forum users power to create threads that are invite only, similar to the Steering Committee and Project America forums. One thing that some of use would like is to have a thread that is devoid of toxic, trolls, and/or disharmonious people. Lamentably, this means new people won't see the threads, but I guess they could be added in later if they prove themselves to be harmonious with long-standing users who have been on here for years. 

Nope, not that I'm aware of.

Just now, admin_270 said:

Yes, probably the case, and perhaps to generate a reaction. @vcczar cease and desist, s'il vous plait.

That's too far. Some of us would like to have an actual discussion about rules, which we've been fair about. I've had problems with them since at least August.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
Just now, Hestia11 said:

That's too far. Some of us would like to have an actual discussion about rules, which we've been fair about. I've had problems with them since at least August.

In the given context, it is reasonable to believe it is a personal attack in the guise of a question (or both!).

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

"their post is clearly more personal attacks at me guised in "I'm following the rules bc I'm personally attacking a poster but putting it in the disguise of an idea"."

That's not discussing the rules, that's finding ways to circumvent them to get personal attacks across. You're better than that Hestia. 

No. It's not to generate a reaction. It's to generate a better set of rules that are clear and have examples. I used a real life example to underscore that one can go around those rules because they aren't clear, and the real life example is one of a high importance for many more users than just myself on this forum. 

I'll agree to "cease and desist" if the other party agrees to curb their behavior. I am one of at least 10 in protest. 

In the given context, it is reasonable to believe it is a personal attack in the guise of a question (or both!).

So any discussion of rules is a personal attack? 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

Personal attack!  12 points to Gryffendor

@PoliticalPundit often uses these types of "light" personal attacks in his responses. It's kind of ridiculous that me calling out someone as using a personal attack is probably a personal attack. What the rule on that? @admin_270

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

No. It's not to generate a reaction. It's to generate a better set of rules that are clear and have examples. I used a real life example to underscore that one can go around those rules because they aren't clear, and the real life example is one of a high importance for many more users than just myself on this forum. 

I'll agree to "cease and desist" if the other party agrees to curb their behavior. I am one of at least 10 in protest. 

Notice I don't even mention your name until you attack first w personal attacks totally unwarranted. You are the one who needs to stop the attacks. Even this thread is a perfect example of that. You'v been warned over 5 times now. 

And for the record, I have had 4 posters in message privately talk about someone's behavior and say it was unfortunate and a pattern. But they don't feel comfortable talking about it in public as one poster put it a, "left wing echo chamber" 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@PoliticalPundit often uses these types of "light" personal attacks in his responses. It's kind of ridiculous that me calling out someone as using a personal attack is probably a personal attack. What the rule on that? @admin_270

"You're better than that" = a compliment to Hestia's nature in general.

You , "I have zero intelligence, no brains, don' like me personally or intelligently in any shape or form" "playing the victim, troll, doesn't use facts" 

You get away w so much behavior it's unbelievable. How dare you. 

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

"You're better than that" = a compliment to Hestia's nature in general.

You , "I have zero intelligence, no brains, don' like me personally or intelligently in any shape or form" "playing the victim, troll, doesn't use facts" 

You get away w so much behavior it's unbelievable. 

My sincere apologies. 

"You have thus far failed to live up to your potential intelligence, and the number of your brains on this forum so far.  But I'm sure if you apply yourself, you will unlock your full potential by your 18th birthday!"

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

My sincere apologies. 

"You have thus far failed to live up to your potential intelligence, and the number of your brains on this forum so far.  But I'm sure if you apply yourself, you will unlock your full potential by your 18th birthday!"

So you continue to disrespect @admin_270 talking about "number of brains" and belittling based on posters and not ideas? It's sad honestly. 

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

So you continue to disrespect @admin_270 talking about "number of brains" and belittling based on posters and not ideas? It's sad honestly. 

You've basically done it to yourself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2