270soft Forum

Cripplingly slow

I just bought President Infinity, having enjoyed President Forever many years ago. But unfortunately the game seems to be unplayable, in each of its manifestations.

The "classic" version is cripplingly slow. It takes a solid two or three minutes just to process the first turn, and it gets progressively slower with every passing day. I just had to wait seven minutes for the second turn to be processed, and who knows how long each subsequent turn would take. I have a pretty fast laptop with an SSD and good processing power, and I don't recall ever having a difficulty with a game or other program running this slowly.

(I've also tried 3.3.1. That version of the game doesn't seem to have a problem with turn processing, but it feels at best like an uncompleted alpha version. The interface is half-finished and buggy – among other things, many buttons do not have mouseover labels, the advertising screen is borked, and clicking on the electoral map regularly brings up the strategy screen instead of selecting the relevant state.)

15 hours ago, PeterA said:

I just bought President Infinity, having enjoyed President Forever many years ago. But unfortunately the game seems to be unplayable, in each of its manifestations.

The "classic" version is cripplingly slow. It takes a solid two or three minutes just to process the first turn, and it gets progressively slower with every passing day. I just had to wait seven minutes for the second turn to be processed, and who knows how long each subsequent turn would take. I have a pretty fast laptop with an SSD and good processing power, and I don't recall ever having a difficulty with a game or other program running this slowly.

(I've also tried 3.3.1. That version of the game doesn't seem to have a problem with turn processing, but it feels at best like an uncompleted alpha version. The interface is half-finished and buggy – among other things, many buttons do not have mouseover labels, the advertising screen is borked, and clicking on the electoral map regularly brings up the strategy screen instead of selecting the relevant state.)

Re Classic: do you have autosave on? This will significantly increase the time per turn. If it isn't on, turn off unnecessary players.

For 3.3.x: the interface has basically all the tooltips now. The latest internal (released probably this week) adds tooltips to the Strategy and Electoral Vote Info screen. If you have a specific screen you think should have tooltips, please let me know.

The Ads Screen is borked - how so?

Clicking on the map should bring up the Strategy Screen if it's a second click. Are you saying it's your first click and it brings up the Strategy Screen?

I don't have autosave on. Not sure what you mean by "unnecessary players": I haven't added any candidates who weren't already turned on by default. If the suggestion is that the game is unable to simulate the default scenario, that seems to be a big issue ...

3.3.1: there are no tooltips on the strategy screen. This dialog also doesn't have tooltips, and I for one cannot recognise every state based on a thumbnail image of its flag:

screenshot-pi-4.thumb.png.65454e81ff9468ef363ae180600dfa50.png

On the ad screen, adding more ads results in the menu looking like this with duplicate entries:

screenshot-pi.thumb.png.ea0b0033ddbacd162a6d512927459284.png

... and there's a random "Enter text" textbox which seems to do nothing.

Yes, the strategy screen comes up on the first click of the electoral map. It doesn't happen every time, but it occurs regularly enough to be annoying.

I have also just been fiddling around with some other features, and there seem to be other random bugs as well. For example, after trying to make an offer to another candidate, I returned to the home screen; everything except the buttons along the bottom was frozen and the "done turn" button stopped working.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 4:10 PM, PeterA said:

there are no tooltips on the strategy screen

This was added with a recent release.

there's a random "Enter text" textbox

That's a search box, to find a region quickly. I'll probably add a tooltip to make is more clear.

after trying to make an offer to another candidate, I returned to the home screen; everything except the buttons along the bottom was frozen and the "done turn" button stopped working.

I've noted this to attempt to replicate - thanks for this bug report.