270soft Forum

British Columbia went to the polls!

So I was watching the CBC livestream and the BC NDP pulled off a majority government. Also the Greens gained a seat.

NDP 59

Greens 3

The liberals were at 29 seats the last I saw.

Correct me if the numbers have changed since last night.

Saskatchewan goes to the polls on Tuesday if I recall correctly. I'll make a post then about the outcome.

@Patine when you can post again. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the BC NDP :)

Cheers to our Canadian on your provincial election @admin_270

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ya, looks like Horgan's internal polling suggested he could call a snap election and win an outright majority. Now he doesn't need to rely on Green support to pass legislation.

Liberals' signature issue was to me a bit perplexing - get rid of the PST for a year? Oh, OK ...

Larry Hogan (British Columbia) and François Legault (Quebec) are the 2 most popular provincial Prime Ministers of Canada for handling coronavirus.

That's proove my point about the importance of covid perception on re-election.

5 hours ago, Edouard said:

Larry Hogan (British Columbia) and François Legault (Quebec) are the 2 most popular provincial Prime Ministers of Canada for handling coronavirus.

His first name isn't Larry, his second isn't Hogan, and the English term is Premier, but I get what you're saying. 😉

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

His first name isn't Larry, his second isn't Hogan, and the English term is Premier, but I get what you're saying. 😉

Okay I like too much the GOP governor of Maryland

BUT FACTS REMAIN TRUE.

John.thumb.PNG.935e44684f3f8d7afae65560728e4c04.PNG

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, superezione said:

Hogan and Ardern back to back are proving that a good handling of COVID can really do wonders for the party in power. 

Are you talking about the Maryland Gov. or the B.C. Premier? 😉

@admin_270 RIP to your Premier's name

By the way Gov Larry Hogan has a backing of 71% about his covid response, way above the 48% average of american govenors 

So I guess we can switch them it does not change what we say about covid handling in both states 😇

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Edouard said:

@admin_270 RIP to your Premier's name

By the way Gov Larry Hogan has a backing of 71% about his covid response, way above the 48% average of american govenors 

So I guess we can switch them it does not change what we say about covid handling in both states 😇

Interestingly, B.C. has had a relatively lax response. Basically, implemented physical distancing measures, capped events at 50, restaurants to take-out only (now back to in-person dining). Schools came back in June (then out for summer for a couple months, now back in again with regular Sep. start). Most businesses were never closed by the government (although some voluntarily closed for awhile). No mask mandate.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Interestingly, B.C. has had a relatively lax response. Basically, implemented physical distancing measures, capped events at 50, restaurants to take-out only (now back to in-person dining). Schools came back in June (then out for summer for a couple months, now back in again with regular Sep. start). Most businesses were never closed by the government (although some voluntarily closed for awhile). No mask mandate.

Are people doing a lot of voluntary social distancing and mask-wearing?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Really unconventionnal from NDP they really are more centrist than the national party

To the opposite Legault is quite harsh for the "Northern American normality" masks are mandatory in public losed offices and many shops were strictly limited limited to serve during months

Interesting that the two most popular great premiers of Canada have a polarized reply to covid. (Even more when you know that Legault is Center-Center-Right and Horgan officially Center-Left).

Anyways for Europe it's a disaster. France has been harsh on masks like Spain but open on maintaining schools open (with mandatory masks) and the country is about to go in lockdown again next week.

I do not know if @RI Democrat guess that social distancing from people is the most important thing to fight covid but for me it is. Govs can do what they wants but civism is the most important thing.

9 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

Are people doing a lot of voluntary social distancing and mask-wearing?

Yes, physical distancing measures for stores is required by the government, I believe. Masks are optional (public transit generally requires them). Many people wear them, but varies by where you are.

57 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Interesting that the two most popular great premiers of Canada have a polarized reply to covid.

Quebec currently has the highest mortality rate per capita from Covid-19 in country (2/3rds of all mortalities in the country!). B.C. currently has one of the lowest.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107079/covid19-deaths-by-province-territory-canada/

Wonder why Legault's approval is so high? Meanwhile, AB has decent and MB has very low mortalities per capita from Covid-19, but approval ratings are relatively low. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Quebec currently has the highest mortality rate per capita from Covid-19 in country (2/3rds of all mortalities in the country!). B.C. currently has one of the lowest.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107079/covid19-deaths-by-province-territory-canada/

Wonder why Legault's approval is so high? Meanwhile, AB has decent and MB has very low mortalities per capita from Covid-19, but approval ratings are relatively low. 🤷‍♂️

Yes but 70% of cases and deaths (maybe even more 75%) are all in Laval and Montreal. Worse than that, it's because retirement housings in these areas have become clusters during the early pandemic.

The main problem with Quebec is that the government (Pequist or Liberal) never reformed the public retirement housing systems since decades.

Actually the Caquist minister for the elders also was Liberal minister for the elders 10 years ago, and told back in 2007 that the way people over 65 were treated "prevented her to sleep".

So why Legault is so popular? Very good question

To me it's because he's been personnaly involved by doing hundreds of day to day TV recordings on covid.

Also back in 2018 he was very clear he wanted to destroy old "CHSLD" (retirement housings) and replace it by luxurious and modern establishments, so even if he is a former minister for the Parti Québécois (1998-2002) he has remained out of the scandal.

It does not explain why he is so popular for his gestion, but for me it's mainly because he showed his involvment (a thing that Trump did not for example).

And well...for Doug Ford...

• Upvote 1