270soft Forum

Sins of the Father Poll

ThePotatoWalrus

Sins of the Father Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these candidates would you vote for?

• Hunter Biden
    • Donald J. Trump Jr.
  2. 2. Would Hunter Biden be a better or worse candidate than his father?

3. 3. Would Donald Trump Jr. be a better or worse candidate than his father?

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

So does @Conservative Elector 2 lol y'all finally agree 

Hahah if we make it to three occasions today I am happy :) We had already one agreement in yesterday's state of the race thread.

@Conservative Elector 2, i'm curious as a foreigner, what drew your support to the Republican party and Republican politicians when the Democratic party is more popular abroad? I realize Austria is probably more right-wing than most European countries but there has to be more to it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Conservative Elector 2, i'm curious as a foreigner, what drew your support to the Republican party and Republican politicians when the Democratic party is more popular abroad? I realize Austria is probably more right-wing than most European countries but there has to be more to it.

Thanks for the question, I appreciate it. Well, it's true the countryside in Austria is more right-wing, but as in nearly all countries cities are still very liberal here. When you go to college here, you sometimes have to shake your head when hearing your fellow student's political leanings. Two rival openly communist student groups are running for the student council for example. And they have not little support in fact...

I think American politics is far more interesting than Austrian politics. All the ''hard issues'' debated in America are absent in Austria. You don't have to debate abortions, the death penalty, building up influence all over the world, same-sex marriage etc. Austrian politics is more like debating whether to build new bicycle tracks in a city or not. 

I had no deep understanding of American politics probably until 2012, when in fact I supported Obama over Romney. I didn't care about their policies. I also supported Obama in 2008 (being pro-Huckabee in the GOP primaries) and Kerry, after briefly being pro-Bush. The Iraq war made me rooting for Kerry in 2004 (I am born in 1996, so I was 8 years old at that time lol). However, my support for Kerry and Obama twice was solely built around being anti-war at that time and Obama's ''coolness''. I liked Huckabee solely because his funny sounding name. So you see, I had no clue about the issues actually. Once I looked at the issues I became supportive of the right-wing. I think the GOP represents that best. Austrian right-wing parties are not as trustworthy as them. You have clearly no decent people like Mike Pence or George W. Bush (who I like more than all other presidents again) here. Also no Samuel Alito or John Roberts. I think just the UK Tories seem to come close to the GOP. By 2015 I was already heavily pro-GOP but supported mostly Jeb, Rubio, Kasich and Cruz in that order over Trump.

I also see first hand what Austria's left got wrong over the years. Left-wing politics is clearly no option for me. But I also want to have true conservative politicians with integrity. Not someone like HC Strache who's drunk and takes drugs on tape, meets with Russian prostitutes (he thought it's the niece of an oligarch) and is regularly associated with neo-nazism.

• Upvote 1