270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

Just now, mlcorcoran said:

I think the office could still choose to ignore, @swejie because the office holder could skip even trying to meet the difficulty rating of the issue. 

Most of the time Fail and Ignore have the same result, we'll have to see what happens if we encounter an Issue where they have different outcomes.

No, the rules are specific about this part.  Only a President can ignore.

• Like 1
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How actinguy determines my dice rolls

@swejie @Leuser @mlcorcoran @upandaway Hi guys. Just a quick note that I am departing this forum.  I’m not sure yet what that means for this game, though we may be able to migrate to another foru

Kern will contribute his 2 personal IP, Cleveland can provide the 3rd.  Off to congress!

Posted Images

@Leuser plays...

Mostly immigrant factory workers in Chicago have organized a wide scale strike against work conditions.  Among their wild demands?  An 8 hour work day.  Can you imagine!

Unfortunately, when police attempted to break up the mostly peaceful rally, an unidentified figure threw an explosive device which killed a police officer.  The surviving police retaliated against the crowd, leading to dozens of deaths and perhaps 100 injuries on both sides.

Despite no evidence that any of them were behind the explosion, and some compelling evidence that a few of them weren’t even present, eight of the alleged strike organizers were arrested and convicted.

Meanwhile, Chicago is drowning in dual protests against immigrants on one side, and against police brutality on the other.

But the working conditions have been forgotten, at least.

Both sides do agree on one thing, at least: 

This is President Sherman’s fault.

Sherman loses 2 popularity.  Social unrest flips to true.  

729B668C-A291-483B-802E-98839354FA36.thumb.jpeg.e6a91d98381be19ec5326b4ce4bf8ed0.jpeg

Actually, social unrest was already true due to the starving vets.  But Sherman has been docked his 2 popularity.

Action to @swejie and @vcczar to decide who the democrat nominee will be.  You’re under no obligation to agree, you can have a contested convention if you want one and still be pretty confident Democrats will win the race — you currently project to get 7 of the 6 keys necessary.

2 minutes ago, swejie said:

Re: "Haymarket Riot"

I had this last game, and assumed the -2pop was applied to the next elected president.  This makes more sense, and makes it easier to play.

If it helps, the 1880 election “is” the election as nobody has actually voted yet. ;c)

6 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Actually, social unrest was already true due to the starving vets.  But Sherman has been docked his 2 popularity.

Action to @swejie and @vcczar to decide who the democrat nominee will be.  You’re under no obligation to agree, you can have a contested convention if you want one and still be pretty confident Democrats will win the race — you currently project to get 7 of the 6 keys necessary.

Cleveland

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

If it helps, the 1880 election “is” the election as nobody has actually voted yet. ;c)

Not really, that was kind of the confusion I had before.

But, it was reading comprehension fail on my part
Social Unreset applies to the next Election. 
President's Popularity -2.

I read as...
Social Unreset:
Applies to the next Election, President's Popularity -2.

• Like 1

Grover Cleveland will select former VP, former failed VP nominee, and former Confederate General John C Breckinridge as his VP. 

Just now, swejie said:

Not really, that was kind of the confusion I had before.

But, it was reading comprehension fail on my part
Social Unreset applies to the next Election. 
President's Popularity -2.

I read as...
Social Unreset:
Applies to the next Election, President's Popularity -2.

Ha, fair enough.  Yes, it applies to the current President.

Just now, vcczar said:

Grover Cleveland will select former VP, former failed VP nominee, and former Confederate General John C Breckinridge as his VP. 

Alright!  Our election is between Sherman-Wheeler vs. Cleveland-Breckinridge.

Rolling them October Surprise bones...rolled a 2.  No impact.

Challengers have 7 of the necessary 6 keys.

Grover Cleveland and John C Breckinridge win!

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

59F2854E-347E-4C99-9DFB-3F394079CF8A.thumb.jpeg.9d82be355c32feabec547ca4ccd51878.jpeg@swejie

Clark is 30 years, not quite eligible for a  job yet.  (The good news is Kern is about to become eligible.)

I doubt Clark would have won in 1912, even with TR and Taft splitting the GOP. He lacked Wilson's urgency and occasional dynamism. I think either the House would have selected Taft or TR as president as no one would have gotten the necessary EVs. 

• Like 1
Just now, Actinguy said:

3E7C6DEF-2980-4C33-B425-FA5D8FEF03F9.thumb.jpeg.3509758e27e0cc98a8ad5fa6e40b2a8f.jpeg

@vcczar 

Nelson is over 34 and therefore eligible for a job, should you have one in mind for him.

At least he has a mustache, says Cleveland.

• Haha 1

@mlcorcoran

92542134-77FC-41D0-AE00-DA7EE687F5C9.thumb.jpeg.6d315dc5165bf3596b300b3a8e900528.jpeg

Just what the nation thirsts for, another goddamned Sherman.

With one cousin killed by friendly fire and another voted out after destroying the economy, it’s on James Schoolcraft Sherman to save his families legacy — in a decade or two.  He’s currently 25.