270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

Actinguy

@Actinguy Before the next issue comes, Treasurer Conkling spends 1 faction IP to deliver a bill to Congress calling for a repeal to the Protective Tariff.

"Gentlemen, the tariff hurts American taxpayers, stifles new business growth, and does nothing for our economy but protect entrenched mercantilists. Let's bring this to an end and hope that no future POTUS is so stupid as to think that a protectionist tariff is anything but a barbaric self-inflicted wound on the nation's economy!"

1 minute ago, mlcorcoran said:

@Actinguy Before the next issue comes, Treasurer Conkling spends 1 faction IP to deliver a bill to Congress calling for a repeal to the Protective Tariff.

"Gentlemen, the tariff hurts American taxpayers, stifles new business growth, and does nothing for our economy but protect entrenched mercantilists. Let's bring this to an end and hope that no future POTUS is so stupid as to think that a protectionist tariff is anything but a barbaric self-inflicted wound on the nation's economy!"

12723CEB-68C2-4331-8681-BD8D0BF87732.thumb.jpeg.b437ebc2a8d735b49d80b0dd208a1840.jpeg

Voting to repeal the protective tariff.  Voting opens with @swejie

Police confirmed this morning that the body pulled out of the East River was indeed that of Governor and 1876 Presidential Candidate Samuel Tilden.  

Tilden, previously presumed to be the front runner for the 1880 election as well, was last seen on the pedestrian path of the Brooklyn Bridge inspecting excessive cost overruns of that decade-long project marred in more than it’s fair share of tragedies.

@vcczar

@mlcorcoran can you do the honors of removing Mr. Tilden from the land of the living?

15E46D6A-06B8-4216-AD8C-9A440711A073.thumb.jpeg.d003846b4206ecc5eac7102d2414480e.jpeg

@mlcorcoran

ISSUE TWO

With significantly lowered tariffs, Northerners have taken to purchasing foreign cotton goods again — significantly hurting an already struggling war torn south, struggling to find their way in this post-slavery world.  Suffice it to say, they’re not your biggest fans.

18 years after the end of the civil war, perhaps now is the time to withdraw our troops.  In addition mollifying the south, perhaps this would repair the recent rift between President Sherman and the Southern Democrats in Congress.

Or...maybe a war torn, occupied economy is just  what you fucking GET for declaring war on us northerners in the first place?

(As a reminder, for the purposes of issue cards, the Republican Party leader is always the progressive @Leuser faction leader.  In this case, that’s former Secretary of the Treasury William Wheeler.)

7D0DFE0E-F9D4-429E-8C6F-5C623D1078B5.thumb.jpeg.7ea17cd35a3a0a5c7a6d3441de9247c6.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

@swejie The Southern Democrats get 10 victory points now that they are “free at last; free at last; thank god almighty; we are free at last!” from northern occupation.

Yikes.

It is probably not okay that they stole a popular slave song for this, huh?

Woah.  I guess these bonuses balance somehow with our starting selections?  
Available bonus VP at game start:
ML: 27
Swej: 41
Leuser: 67
VcCzar: 22

Had ML decided to pass because of the bonus to me, this card is almost guaranteed to come up again later anyway?

@mlcorcoran

ISSUE THREE

By 1879, the average surviving Civil war Veteran was 50 years old.  Many had lost limbs due to injury or, more rampant in the war, illness — rendering them equally incapable of returning to the life of farming or factory work from whence they’d came.

As their ravaged bodies aged, many were rendered destitute — in clear violation of former President Abraham Lincoln’s call that we should “care for him who shall have borne the battle, and his widow, and his orphan.”

But what could be done, in this troubled economy?

F8349DE7-7129-45B3-B3ED-8F1027BC82B6.thumb.jpeg.a3c3bacef8a044ead8bd8b22050ca7c3.jpeg

1 minute ago, swejie said:

Had ML decided to pass because of the bonus to me, this card is almost guaranteed to come up again later anyway?

Actually, the card would not reappear. The only issues that reappear are the ones that specifically say “card shuffled into next deck” if it’s failed/ignored.  Had President Sherman not withdrawn the troops, I guess they’d still be there through 2020.  Haha.

As for balance of bonus points and starting positions, that’s one of the things I assume the game designer is watching us to determine.  It’s my understanding that we might be the first players to ever test this scenario. He’s made minor tweaks to his game based on our feedback from previous playthroughs of the main, sequel, and expansion games.  I imagine this scenario might get similar tweaks if needed.

4 minutes ago, swejie said:

One thing that jumps out at me is that Leuser had most of the oldest players at the start of the game, which was a potential weakness — but as you’ve identified, he has the most potential bonus points from issues (if they all go his way).  Vcczar has the least potential bonus points, but he also started with the youngest statesmen on average.

Coincidence or by design, I don’t know.  But all factors in the balancing act.

Senators, the debt we owe to our veterans and their families cannot be overstated. We saw thru a Recession and overturned a bad tariff to benefit the working man. Let us now come together to do the same for our vets!

2 IP is needed to take Civil War Pensions to a vote, which will be repaid and rewarded. Any volunteers?

@swejie @Leuser @vcczar

• Like 1