270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

Actinguy

1 minute ago, Leuser said:

Schurtz 1ip to build support. Don't see number of houses available on the sheet, FYI. 

Garfield free speech. 

Schurz rolls a 3.  Want to spend 1 IP?  (Thanks for flagging about the number of houses. There’s plenty to go around right now. I’ll fix)

Garfield rolls a 6!

Bonus Action: spending 1 faction IP for William McKinley to whip up support trying for a House

Bonus Card: Playing "Make Important Speech" on Benjamin Harrison

@Actinguy I added Harrison's 1 IP for the speech, will wait for your dice roll result for McKinley

Also, naming Sherman's Cabinet:

State: McKinley

Treasury: Conkling

War: John Hay @Leuser

Interior: Chester A. Arthur

Attorney Gen: Mark Hanna

Postmaster Gen: Levi P. Morton

Secretary of Navy: Rutherford B. Hayes @Leuser

38 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

Bonus Action: spending 1 faction IP for William McKinley to whip up support trying for a House

Bonus Card: Playing "Make Important Speech" on Benjamin Harrison

@Actinguy I added Harrison's 1 IP for the speech, will wait for your dice roll result for McKinley

Also, naming Sherman's Cabinet:

State: McKinley

Treasury: Conkling

War: John Hay @Leuser

Interior: Chester A. Arthur

Attorney Gen: Mark Hanna

Postmaster Gen: Levi P. Morton

Secretary of Navy: Rutherford B. Hayes @Leuser

Can't get more establishment than this cabinet. 

@mlcorcoran

ISSUE ONE

Well, this is embarrassing.

President Sherman won the election on the back of Grant’s economic accomplishments, advocating the importance of his Gold Standard — and now he can’t extricate himself from it.  He can’t even try to pin the blame on your Vice President, god rest his soul.  He’ll have to bare the brunt of this yourself.

The problem appears to have begun, as all problems do, in Europe.  A banking collapse there led to foreign investments collapsing here — particularly in railroad companies.

More than 40 railroads have already gone under, with more expected to follow.  In total, as many as 20,000 businesses are looking at potential bankruptcy.  Unemployment could reach 15%.  The panic has led to a run on the banks here, cashing in their paper money for gold as was promised by Grant — but per the Gold Standard...without the gold to back them up, banks cannot lend any money to help stimulate the economy.  The few who still have money during this economic depression are clinging to it, causing additional economic harm.

Typically, a government would expand the money supply in such a crisis by issuing more paper money (which we can’t do because of the gold standard) or lowering interest to the banks (which we can’t do because there’s no federal reserve yet and also the banks still don’t have the gold to lend out.)  

We could temporarily take our money off the gold standard again, and easing money supply that way...though that might really shake confidence in our dollar to do it so quickly after passing the gold standard in the first place.

Its a real conundrum, I tells ya!

What say you, @mlcorcoran

18B7B3C1-3E38-4155-A788-FB7EDAC4A9F4.thumb.jpeg.dc0a64e26571451a92b38754f38d2c08.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Leuser said:

Why do I have the most deaths? This is 

276446_v9_ba.jpg

Your faction started with most of the oldest statesmen.  I assume the game creator did this to you on purpose. Haha.  

Alternatively, being handed the opportunity to unlock your younger statesmen sooner could end up giving you a long term boost.  We shall see!

26 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

The first player to reply with an IP donated to meet the difficulty of Option B to expand the money supply and prevent Long Term economic failure will get not 1 but 2 Supreme Court judge appointments to statesmen in his faction.

@swejie @Leuser @vcczar

@Actinguy

I’ll do it

• Like 1

Just now, mlcorcoran said:

@Actinguy 1 faction IP deducted from @vcczar

@vcczar please let me know which 2 statesmen you'd like to have SCOTUS Justices affiliated

Treasury Secretary Conkling delivers the Quantitative Easing bill to Congress (Option B - Expand Money Supply), the Senate Majority leader calls for a roll call vote @Actinguy

No vote necessary.  It doesn't say "congress" on the card -- just treasury.

I've updated the 13 Keys to the White House.  Note: While Sherman is guaranteed re-nomination by virtue of his status as the incumbent, it's currently not counting as "unanimous" because Sherman needs to beat any other Republican by more than 2 Popularity.  Otherwise, while his successful nomination is guaranteed, it won't count as unanimous for the purpose of key-counting.

Democrats currently project to get 5 of the necessary 6 keys to win the Presidency.