270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

Actinguy

The Democrat smoke filled room has much less smoke, as only two leaders are being considered — @vcczar NY Governor Samuel Tilden and @vcczar noted businessman and attorney Grover Cleveland.

Because you control both attendees, we have a contested convention.  Note this doesn’t hurt your election chances — only incumbent parties take a penalty for contested conventions.

We roll a die for each candidate and add their popularity.

Tilden 5+5=10

Cleveland 3+3=6

Tilden is the Democrat nominee!  Name a VP not from the northeast.  (There’s a chart of northeast states on the main tab).

24 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

The Democrat smoke filled room has much less smoke, as only two leaders are being considered — @vcczar NY Governor Samuel Tilden and @vcczar noted businessman and attorney Grover Cleveland.

Because you control both attendees, we have a contested convention.  Note this doesn’t hurt your election chances — only incumbent parties take a penalty for contested conventions.

We roll a die for each candidate and add their popularity.

Tilden 5+5=10

Cleveland 3+3=6

Tilden is the Democrat nominee!  Name a VP not from the northeast.  (There’s a chart of northeast states on the main tab).

Bourbon Democrats are a little relieved the nominee is Tilden, who has name recognition at this point. Samuel Tilden meets with his faction to determine a VP. Several Northerner are suggested, but then Winfield Scott Hancock, a hero of Gettysburg, makes a suggestion:

"I think coming from me, this may give the suggestion I'm about to propose a little more weight. I was nearly killed fighting to preserve our nation. I fought for Union. I think we should continue to fight for Union by strengthening the bonds with our formerly wayward cousins in the South. As such, why not make the so called Confederate Vice President the new US Vice President! Doing so would bury the hatchet of the late war and keep the South with our party for perpetuity! A long alliance of a Solid Democratic South and a Bourbon controlled New York will never be defeated. I see us holding the presidency for 100 years!"

With this, the Bourbon Caucus cheers. Tilden accepts the suggest and asks that Hancock make the offer to Alexander Stephens in person.  @swejie

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Bourbon Democrats are a little relieved the nominee is Tilden, who has name recognition at this point. Samuel Tilden meets with his faction to determine a VP. Several Northerner are suggested, but then Winfield Scott Hancock, a hero of Gettysburg, makes a suggestion:

"I think coming from me, this may give the suggestion I'm about to propose a little more weight. I was nearly killed fighting to preserve our nation. I fought for Union. I think we should continue to fight for Union by strengthening the bonds with our formerly wayward cousins in the South. As such, why not make the so called Confederate Vice President the new US Vice President! Doing so would bury the hatchet of the late war and keep the South with our party for perpetuity! A long alliance of a Solid Democratic South and a Bourbon controlled New York will never be defeated. I see us holding the presidency for 100 years!"

With this, the Bourbon Caucus cheers. Tilden accepts the suggest and asks that Hancock make the offer to Alexander Stephens in person.  @swejie

Sorry -- that's my fault.  Alexander Stephens actually died during the flu outbreak -- but I removed former President Andrew Johnson instead of Stephens from the faction sheet.  @mlcorcoran can you restore Johnson to @swejie and kill off Stephens instead?

@vcczar action to you to name a living VP.

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Sorry -- that's my fault.  Alexander Stephens actually died during the flu outbreak -- but I removed former President Andrew Johnson instead of Stephens from the faction sheet.  @mlcorcoran can you restore Johnson to @swejie and kill off Stephens instead?

@vcczar action to you to name a living VP.

There are now concerns that both Tilden and Hancock are suffering from dementia. After having humored the two in the Bourbon Caucus by applauding the proposal. The rest of the Caucus members whisper to one another while Hancock is going out and about in the convention trying to find someone that no longer exists. Ultimately, they suggest the politician closest to Stephens. Another Southerner and Confederate and former VP, John C Breckinridge: @swejie

• Haha 1

Ok!  Our Centennial Election is between Sherman-Wilson and Tilden-Breckinridge. 

Rolling on the October Surprise Chart...

Rolled a one!  "Policy Change" flips to true as John Sherman passionately promotes Grant's Gold Standard throughout the country, convincing everyone this is exactly the boost the economy needed.

Democrats end up with only 4 of the necessary 6 Keys to the White House.  Republicans retain power, with @mlcorcoran President Sherman and VP Wilson sworn in.

Sherman gains 3 Popularity, VP Wilson gains 1.  Tilden gets a black ring for losing -- should he receive a second black ring, he will be barred from future elections as President or VP. 

Players expend Influence Points from their faction supplies and/or their Statesmen, but Influence on a Statesman may never be spent on behalf of another Statesman. Players can perform each option only once per turn:

a. Make a Speech - spend 1 influence for your statesman to make a speech and roll a die. If roll + any additional influence you spend = 6, get a popularity point.

B. Whip up support. Designate a statesman, spend 1 influence, and roll a die.  If roll + any extra influence you spend = 4+, get a house.  A house is a permanent +3 votes to that statesman for the rest of their lives — but If there are no houses available, you have to steal it from someone else.

We start with @mlcorcoran