Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How actinguy determines my dice rolls

@swejie @Leuser @mlcorcoran @upandaway Hi guys. Just a quick note that I am departing this forum.  I’m not sure yet what that means for this game, though we may be able to migrate to another foru

Kern will contribute his 2 personal IP, Cleveland can provide the 3rd.  Off to congress!

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Actinguy said:

D33614C4-5DAC-45C4-8B76-0A9FE57B0A67.thumb.jpeg.efcb31d569809cd143060229e168bef4.jpeg

Though it takes a lot of work from everyone, the Gold Standard passes into law unanimously!  @Leuser, @vcczar and @mlcorcoran each spend 1 faction IP.  President Grant, VP Wilson, and Secretary Wheeler each gain 1 popularity point.  @swejie faction leader Supreme Court Chief Justice LQV Lamar earns 2 IP.  Gold standard flips to true.

@mlcorcoran and @vcczar each earn 2 victory points for achieving their gold standard goal.

@mlcorcoran

ISSUE FOUR

As the nation celebrates its centennial, with federal government at an all time high and Grant prepares to end his final term in office, a proposal reaches his desk to change the constitution and the very office of the Presidency, forever.

What say you, Mr. President?

C801FEA5-2CF2-43EC-A1E7-11D4E710B52D.thumb.jpeg.71fdb520829d8d88a31bb1897ca80c0c.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Though it takes a lot of work from everyone, the Gold Standard passes into law unanimously!  @Leuser, @vcczar and @mlcorcoran each spend 1 faction IP.  President Grant, VP Wilson, and Secretary Wheeler each gain 1 popularity point.  @swejie faction leader Supreme Court Chief Justice LQV Lamar earns 2 IP.  Gold standard flips to true.

@mlcorcoran and @vcczar each earn 2 victory points for achieving their gold standard goal.

Kind of surprising considering the Silver and Gold battle going on historically. Imagine if bimetallism was the domestic topic of the early 21st century rather than Healthcare. 

• Like 1
Just now, vcczar said:

Kind of surprising considering the Silver and Gold battle going on historically. Imagine if bimetallism was the domestic topic of the early 21st century rather than Healthcare. 

I've been watching a youtube series by the same guys who make Extra Credits (video series about societal topics in video games) -- the series is about history, and this particular subseries is about the history of money.  I've found it to be really enlightening.

• Like 1

@Leuser @mlcorcoran @vcczar @swejie It’s almost election time!

But first, we have the playing of cards.  

If anyone has a card they’d like to play to impact the election, message me (text, Facebook, google chat, on this forum’s private message, whatever).  Cards that could impact the election might include cards that grant a statesman Popularity that would get them into the smoke filled room (or get them so popular that other folks get uninvited to the room), cards that dock popularity and force other statesmen out of the smoke filled room, and cards that flip one or more of the election keys.  As a reminder, the Democrats need 6 of the 13 keys to be in their favor in order to win the election of 1876 — currently, exactly 6 keys project to be.  You can tell if a card would flip a key because it will say the key in bold.  For example “short economy.  Third Party. Scandal.” in bold would flip those three keys to true.  

I’ll give you guys until 6 pm to let me know if you’re playing one or more cards.  If you need more time or have any questions, let me know.

On the main tab, you’ll find a list of every statesman, separated by party.  Smoke-filled rooms include the most popular eligible party member, plus everyone within 2 Popularity points of that statesman.  I’ve bolded the anticipated attendees.

For the Democrats, that’s just Tilden and Cleveland right now.  

For the Republicans, it is every single living statesman except Grant, who is expected to retire now that his second term has ended.

Popularity changes from the cards can impact this list of invitees.

Ok, guys.  I've confirmed that anyone who has a card that could potentially impact the election has chosen not to play it at this time.

THE ELECTION OF 1876

Currently, the Democrats look to have a small lead in the election -- though this could be tilted slightly in favor of the Republicans if they can achieve party unity.  Literally every Republican of any significance whatsoever (every Republican statesman) other than departing President Ulysses S Grant is invited to the smokefilled room to talk about who the party's nominee will be.

The field is wide open, though some feel Secretary of State Roscoe Conkling might be the frontrunner.  This was quickly disproven though, when some of the men began to coalesce behind the candidacy of Secretary of War John Sherman -- who lost his brother, General William T Sherman, to friendly fire a few years earlier.

But would the party unanimously get behind Sherman?  Or would someone else emerge?

Action to @mlcorcoran and @Leuser to agree on a Republican nominee.  If you can't agree by 6 PM...or if you agree to disagree earlier than that...we'll have a contested convention.

25 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

There is unanimous support for John Sherman as the Republican candidate @Actinguy

Incumbent party contested convention flips to false, giving Republicans a slight lead in the election as Democrats now project to only get 5 of the necessary 6 keys in their favor.

Action to @mlcorcoran to name a VP who is from the northeast.  (Consult the chart of northeast states on the main tab)