270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

While Schofield would rather be general, he will accept. Bayard also accepts. Honestly shocked how bipartisan this cabinet is. 

A little too bipartisan, actually.  He can only have one Democrat.  Mlc is fixing.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How actinguy determines my dice rolls

@swejie @Leuser @mlcorcoran @upandaway Hi guys. Just a quick note that I am departing this forum.  I’m not sure yet what that means for this game, though we may be able to migrate to another foru

Kern will contribute his 2 personal IP, Cleveland can provide the 3rd.  Off to congress!

Posted Images

The first card we pull is one of our new Hand of Time cards.  These cards act just like the skull icon used to.  We roll a die.  1-3 the oldest living statesman dies.  4-5, second oldest.  6, third oldest.  

Though drawn during the issue phase, these cards do not count as one of the President’s four issues.

6467B52B-83AA-434E-9738-851283651159.thumb.jpeg.0019aa59650cdfb1af5fc64145de9544.jpeg

@Leuser Charles F Adams, son of President John Q Adams, grandson of President John Adams, and diplomat who kept Britain out of civil war, is no more.

The Adams political dynasty has fizzled out.

@mlcorcoran The late Charles F Adams had a Supreme Court marker, which means the unnamed Supreme Court Justice who was aligned with Adams’ beliefs must now be replaced.

Action to you as President Grant considers who to nominate to the Supreme Court.

You May choose anyone who does not currently have a SC marker on the faction tab, regardless of any job titles they may have.  

That person will not literally become a Supreme Court Justice — the new justice will simply be aligned with that politician’s views, giving that player a +1 vote on the Supreme Court and tying the new Supreme Court justice’s lifespan to that of the assigned statesman.

Found in Samuel J. Tilden's diary, 1873: 

Mr. Adams is deadHis control over the courts is releasedI should be happy that such a radical is dead. Yet, I feel lonely. Is it because I can't grow a beard? Everyone else has beards. Wait! Bayard of my own faction is beardless! I do have a friend. I must let him know. Quickly! Why am I writing down everything I'm....t...hin...kin....g......c'mon pe...n....Don't...ru.....n....out of.....i......n.........k. Damn........y.........o.......

The paper was found tossed in the fire, but the flames had not reached the paper. Bayard would not comment, but the next day he had a five o'clock shadow. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mlcorcoran said:

Grant nominates a justice affiliated with Naval Secretary Carl Schurz @Leuser

Done. 

ISSUE ONE

With his re-election easily secured thanks to the swarm of new black voters, President Grant looks forward to a quiet Presidency, where he can check out at 3 PM to take a drive around town, play billiards, or maybe even take in a game of America’s new favorite pastime — baseball.  

After all, the real power in the US rests with Congress, which rose to prominence when they impeached President Johnson for overreach and have no intention of yielding control of the nation now.  Grant got his Supreme Court nominee confirmed easily enough, but he knew they wouldn’t take orders like his men had during the civil war.  And then there were the industrialists, the growing number of millionaires building factories by the hundreds and shaping the vote of the employees who depend on them for food.  He dared not challenge them either.

No, Grant knew he was there to reassure people a strong leader was at the helm — while holding no real power at all.  

That is, until he received the field report from his sometimes-friend, sometimes-foe, General Custer.  Custer had been dispatched to the badlands following the Indian Wars, more to ensure the Americans did not violate the treaty granting the black hills to the Sioux, than to guard against Indian invasion.

But here Custer described guarding a railroad survey team that fell victim to Indian attack.  In pursuit of the attackers, Custer briefly violated the treaty and crossed over into the sacred Black Hills to apprehend the wrongdoers.  He described a brief battle, with only one death on each side and the Indians behind the raid brought to justice.

But its the final sentence of the report that leaps from the page:

”Mr. President, there’s gold in them there hills.”

The land is rightfully the property of the Sioux, according to American treaty and law.  

But more gold would bring with it the ability to create a gold standard, guarding against future inflation — there has not been enough gold in the treasury up to this point to truly establish the standard as law.

Besides — even if you intended to let the Sioux keep the gold, you know Custer.  He is a showman set on building his legend.  He’s surely already sent a harrowing letter to the editors in Chicago and New York, describing both the gold and his own heroics in epic glory.  

What will you do, Mr. President?

@mlcorcoran

7AFEAA60-B9C9-4685-8DED-1F7941039E44.thumb.jpeg.c23ac5a3e5331c04bd0bb06c049723a2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

CORRECTION:

The difficulty level of Choice A is a 6, so Grant dispatches General Sherman to the Little Big Horn with the cavalry.

@Actinguy let's see what the dice decide for Option B

It’s the Secretary of War John Sherman who has to break the news about his own brother.

”General Sherman is dead, sir.  It appears to have been friendly fire, as Custer’s men made a move to take the gold for themselves and my brother tried to stop him.  Custer was caught and hung by my brother’s men, and the gold is secured — though that’s a small comfort.”

General William T Sherman is dead.  President Grant and the late General take -1 popularity each for this Custer Fuck.

Sherman’s death gives @mlcorcoran -1 victory point.  Congratulations, everyone else:  you’re winning!  ;c)

Action to @mlcorcoran to name a new General.

In the end, the Washington Flu of 1874's death toll tallied only in the hundreds, and likely would have been hardly remembered even by 1875 -- if the few that it killed had not been so noteworthy.  Moving quickly through the government's elite, the strain claimed one Senator, a US Secretary of The Treasury, and no fewer than three members of the Supreme Court, including Chief Justice Samuel Chase.  And thus it was that President Ulysses S. Grant found himself second only to President George Washington for most Supreme Court nominees, just six years into his Presidency, bringing his total number of appointees to 8 of the 9 justices.

- Sentenced For Life: Tales from the Court Supreme

@mlcorcoran a triple-whammy of Hand of Time cards kills @Leuser Secretary of the Treasury Charles Sumner, @Leuser Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase, and @swejie Alexander Stephens.  

Action to @mlcorcoran to name a new Secretary of the Treasury, a new Chief Justice, and yet another Associate Justice!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

In the end, the Washington Flu of 1874's death toll tallied only in the hundreds, and likely would have been hardly remembered even by 1875 -- if the few that it killed had not been so noteworthy.  Moving quickly through the government's elite, the strain claimed one Senator, a US Secretary of The Treasury, and no fewer than three members of the Supreme Court, including Chief Justice Samuel Chase.  And thus it was that President Ulysses S. Grant found himself second only to President George Washington for most Supreme Court nominees, just six years into his Presidency, bringing his total number of appointees to 8 of the 9 justices.

- Sentenced For Life: Tales from the Court Supreme

@mlcorcoran a triple-whammy of Hand of Time cards kills @Leuser Secretary of the Treasury Charles Sumner, @Leuser Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase, and @swejie Alexander Stephens.  

Action to @mlcorcoran to name a new Secretary of the Treasury, a new Chief Justice, and yet another Associate Justice!

If I were a voter, I'd be in tears over the simultaneous deaths of Sumner and Chase.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

@LeuserWilliam Wheeler for Treasury

@swejie LQC Lamar for Chief Justice

And an Associate Justice affiliated with Roscoe Conkling @Actinguy

In real life Conkling reject his nomination to the SC. 

• Like 1

Oh hey guys, I just logged back into the forum and had to catch-up on reading.

@vcczar, welcome to the group.  I'm much more a board gamer than a political buff.  I appreciate the re-writing history part of the game,  but also appreciate how much more you guys enjoy it.

Lamar will accept 

• Like 1

With Democrats taking a slight lead in congress (due to all the deaths), I’ve updated our election tracker.  Democrats are now perceived to be the slight favorites in the 1876 election — but still three issues plus any card playing plus a rolling of the October Surprise die to go, so obviously could go either way.

If anyone needs a refresher on how the 13 Keys to the White House (the sequel election mechanics) work, let me know.

@mlcorcoran 

ISSUE TWO

Democrats took a slight lead in Congress following the midterms, and immediately drew a line in confirming members of the Supreme Court.  In the end, President Grant was able to get the Associate Justice that he wanted -- in exchange for nominating Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar as Supreme Court Chief Justice.  LQC Lamar, a former slave owner, was most noteworthy as the man who had drafted Mississippi's secession declaration when the state broke free from the Union.  Getting Lamar confirmed as Chief Justice was seen as a major win for the South -- and, more broadly, for Democrats in general.

Was it a sign that President Grant could work more cohesively with the Democrat congress than his predecessor Andrew Johnson had ever managed with a Republican congress?  

The first significant test of this partnership was the proposal of Colorado as our 38th state.  

(NOTE TO ALL PLAYERS: Be sure to look at the "Issue Bonus Points" tab for all issues.  The successful passage of some issues (or specific choices within issues) confer bonus victory points to certain players based on what faction you control.  For example, Colorado successfully become a state would grant 3 victory points to @swejie.)

@Leuser @vcczar

Action to @mlcorcoran President Grant -- what should be done with Colorado's statehood petition?