270soft Forum

Founding Fathers Part Four: A New Hope

@vcczar @mlcorcoran @swejie @Leuser and I (as moderator) will once again be playing @upandaway's board game Founding Fathers.  Between the core game, it's sequel, and an expansion that isn't currently available publicly, you portray an assortment of our most notable politicians from 1788 through the Great Depression, running for President, appointing a cabinet, trying to keep the nation from going bankrupt, fighting wars, and passing laws.  I kind of love it.

At the game creator's request, we will be beta-testing a new scenario with several new features.

We will be playing "Historical Factions Variant II" from the unpublished expansion.  This game begins on March 4, 1872, as President Ulysses S Grant begins his second term, with Henry Wilson as VP.  Chief Justice Salmon P Chase leads the court, while William T Sherman is the top General in the nation.  The rest of the cabinet positions remain to be appointed.

First, two reminders about new game features we rolled out last time:

1) The Fed Chair.  Should the Federal Reserve (The Fed) be created, the President player will appoint another player (not a statesman) to be the Fed chair.  The Fed Chair can tighten or ease the money supply once per term.  We'll talk more about this when/if it comes up.

2)  Demagogues.  Demagogues are characters (not statesmen) in the cards who create an automatic "game over" win for the player of the card, regardless of the score.  Their required eligibility triggers are very difficult to achieve, though one of our players did successfully pull it off last time.  With the shorter time frame, and more general awareness that they exist, perhaps they can be avoided this time.

And now the new official features of this playthrough (per the new rules and scenario)

DEATH -- Death is no longer determined by the skull icon at the top of certain issues.  Death cards are now standalone issue cards (without any other event on them) -- when they appear, we process the death like normal and then pull another issue card.  It's still four issues per presidency -- the death cards don't count against the four issue count.

FACTIONS -- Each player controls a specific faction that represents a specific half of a specific party.  As the first players to join our game, @mlcorcoran chose the "Mainstream Economic Republicans," which include President Grant and General Sherman.  @Leuser then chose the other half of the Republican party: "The Progressives," which includes Chief Justice Chase and VP Wilson.  As two halves of the same party, @mlcorcoran and @Leuser will be closely aligned in trying to help each other gain office -- and yet also competing against each other as you win as an individual, not as a team.

Action is to @vcczar to choose between the Southern Democrats and the New England Democrats.  As the last player to join our game, @swejie will be the remaining faction.  Much like the Republicans, the two of you will be closely aligned to help the Democrats reach a position of power, while also competing against each other to gain the upper hand within that party.

You will continue to play as your aligned faction through the entire game.    

You can only have seven active statesmen at any time.  You may voluntarily retire your oldest statesman at any time, scoring it just like you would if they had died.  You will then automatically draw a new statesman from a deck containing only your faction statesmen (for example, there is a Progressives Statesmen deck that only @Leuser will draw from).  This new statesmen will immediately be activated.  Should one of your statesmen die, you can likewise immediately draw and activate a new one in their place.

PARTY LEADERS -- for the purpose of issue cards only (for example, "award 1 IP to the Republican Party Leader"), the statesman with the most popularity in the Progressives faction is the Republican Party Leader.  The statesman with the most popularity in the Southern Democrat faction is the Democrat party leader.  This doesn't impact elections -- it's just for issue cards.

SUPREME COURT -- The game now features a full Supreme Court of nine seats, including the Chief. These seats are represented by 8 markers, assigned to 8 statesmen.  The statesmen themselves are not the actual justices -- this just represents a justice aligned with that stateman's views.  When the associated statesman dies or retires, the sitting President assigns the marker to another statesman who currently does not have one.  Everyone may have one marker regardless of whether or not they have another job (including President and Chief Justice).  Nobody may have two or more markers.  When an issue calls for Judicial review, all nine statesman (the Chief plus the 8 marker-holders) vote on the issue.  

ISSUE BONUS POINTS -- Each faction has certain issues and outcomes they want to achieve.  Successfully doing so awards that faction's player bonus points.  The full list is in the expanded rules.  

I plan to send you all the rules and access to the excel sheet later tonight.  I'll post the character sheets in a sec so @vcczar can choose his faction.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How actinguy determines my dice rolls

@swejie @Leuser @mlcorcoran @upandaway Hi guys. Just a quick note that I am departing this forum.  I’m not sure yet what that means for this game, though we may be able to migrate to another foru

Kern will contribute his 2 personal IP, Cleveland can provide the 3rd.  Off to congress!

Posted Images

@vcczar has selected New England Democrats, which leaves @swejie with the Southern Democrats.

SOUTHERN DEMOCRATS

image.jpeg.ef710f8b059332ea3f9fae82474f8d02.jpeg

NORTHERN DEMS

image.jpeg.3f00a293e81d5fc7ebd536397c64cb9c.jpeg

Names in bold are your starting statesmen, the rest are randomly shuffled into your individual statesmen deck for when you need another.  Parentheses indicate a bonus starting popularity on top of what their card states.

Just now, vcczar said:

@admin_270wait? Who are my people? Dewey and Miles are NE but the rest are mid-Atlantic. 

For the purpose of this game, all of the people on your card are considered "Northern Democrats".  You'll start with the bold ones active.  (This will likely be more clear when I get the sheet to you)

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

For the purpose of this game, all of the people on your card are considered "Northern Democrats".  You'll start with the bold ones active.  (This will likely be more clear when I get the sheet to you)

Oh ok thanks. 

@Actinguy

I can't believe I'm playing as Bourbon Democrats. You had said New England Democrats, and I thought "New England, hell yes." However, I don't mind. Maybe it's good for me to play as an ideology that I don't really like so much. I'll just have to convert the party to my liking. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Actinguy

I can't believe I'm playing as Bourbon Democrats. You had said New England Democrats, and I thought "New England, hell yes." However, I don't mind. Maybe it's good for me to play as an ideology that I don't really like so much. I'll just have to convert the party to my liking. 

Ha, sorry.  I didn’t name the factions.  But the only other alternative for the 1872 scenario was southern democrats (Republicans were all claimed already) so I don’t know if that would have been more aligned with your preferences.

Just now, Actinguy said:

Ha, sorry.  I didn’t name the factions.  But the only other alternative for the 1872 scenario was southern democrats (Republicans were all claimed already) so I don’t know if that would have been more aligned with your preferences.

That would have been way worse. 

• Like 1

Across the aisle, we have @vcczar’s Northeastern Bourbon Democrats (which does indeed turn out to be their faction name) — led by Democrat party leader Samuel Tilden, who is seen to be the likely Democrat nominee after Grant’s second term is up.

77650878-C782-4C00-99FB-F1186DF7F751.thumb.jpeg.8d671ea766ea5600b72f80a3faf32c67.jpeg

7B67CFA8-B152-46CF-A781-1A57F8A5969A.thumb.jpeg.6fcc67b192b2e75e7d8848672796bf84.jpeg

B49CC69A-8A2B-416C-9E61-AA6525E13AF7.thumb.jpeg.3f4d83770c82d593fd633cf1d12c824d.jpeg

08EF86B6-6CD0-44EE-91AB-04FE52FE5384.thumb.jpeg.7d29f3adfd1ea7cba75869e401197fe2.jpeg

68474DCF-C5D4-44BF-9CAA-11B2848D2B0A.thumb.jpeg.ba5d7cc96fbe50277caa0a8f58e251d1.jpeg

C050B11B-4E89-4AF8-8309-381D7FAFFA5E.thumb.jpeg.c42cb1df4e72b0cdd1e06b6b0fc5df70.jpeg

E394B1FB-ED52-4959-B56B-A2CAF433F9FF.thumb.jpeg.031cc71defdebfe97fd688ac4b96c338.jpeg

5B31E086-9890-4385-8999-3BF069F18D36.thumb.jpeg.a1e92a01104fe6d234c38f4fcc77d55a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, buenoboss said:

Can i be a part of this? it looks cool

Sorry, we’re full right now, but feel free to stick around, watch to get the gist, and ask any questions.  I’m sure eventually there will be a game 5 and a game 6 and a game 50, and I may eventually be looking for new players to replace anyone who gets burned out.  

In the meantime, this is based off the board game Founding Fathers by Rick Heli, if you google that you’ll get a link to the store and videos about the game, etc.  (be sure to include Rick Heli in the search term — there’s two games called Founding Fathers, but we don’t play the one about the constitutional congress.  We play Heli’s.

8 minutes ago, mlcorcoran said:

Grant's Cabinet Nominations: 

Secretary of State: Roscoe Conkling

Secretary of Treasaury: Charles Sumner @Leuser

Secretary of War: John Sherman

Secretary of Navy: Carl Schurz @Leuser

Secretary of Interior: Chester A. Arthur

Attorney General: Thomas F. Bayard @vcczar

Postmaster General: John Schofield @vcczar

While Schofield would rather be general, he will accept. Bayard also accepts. Honestly shocked how bipartisan this cabinet is. 

• Like 1

Correction, Bayard was mistakenly listed in the spreadsheet as a Republican, and there is a limit to just 1 across-the-aisle appointment per Cabinet

So the Attorney General post will instead be offered to Levi P. Morton, who accepts

@Actinguy the typo on Bayard has been fixed he is now a Democrat again

@vcczar apologies for the mixup, Schofield's acceptance has been noted

• Like 1