Jump to content
270soft Forum

"3rd Debate" Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something I've noticed - neither of them are particularly good at contextualizing. They both tend to make references to things without really explaining what they're talking about, in a way that may m

Yeah your rose colored glasses are showing. Dont think I didnt notice how you went completely silent while Bidens dominant streak during the health care portion was happening. 

Yes she definitively was a good moderator, she was very neutral and gave them a good time to reply.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, CPE said:
Affirmative action is going to destroy the US.

Affirmative action is in fact not only a very unfair, but also complete wrong policy not just in the US. We don't need quotas or advantages for certain groups of people. We need to measure each one equally and see who's the best for attending a college or being a member of a company's board of directors.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CPE said:

Affirmative action is going to destroy the US.

Do they not realize "coyote" means human sex trafficking just like "mule" refers to someone who brings drugs?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Similar to VP debate. It seems like people on the left think the debate was basically a tie, people on the right think Trump won decisively.

Headline > "Trump wins debate!"

Scores > Trump 6, Biden 4

I think Biden won personally but I could see arguments for all three outcomes. I think thats a fair interpretation.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Candidates shouldn't even wear watches to debates.¬†ūüėÜ

The big question with this debate is how does it effect people, not in Cali or NY, but in the blue wall, FL, NC, AZ.

Phasing out fracking might be popular in Cali, but it's less so in blue wall states.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Similar to VP debate. It seems like people on the left think the debate was basically a tie, people on the right think Trump won decisively.

Headline > "Trump wins debate!"

Scores > Trump 6, Biden 4

Most of the post-debate polls I've seen on Twitter have Biden having won by +10 or more. However, I think it was a dead tie. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Affirmative action is in fact not only a very unfair, but also complete wrong policy not just in the US. We don't need quotas or advantages for certain groups of people. We need to measure each one equally and see who's the best for attending a college or being a member of a company's board of directors.

Yeah, I don't like the idea at all.  The only thing that it does is legitimize racism against white men in particular.  Asian men get screwed over by it as well, but white men are seemingly blamed for everything wrong with the world in particular.  I personally believe that it is an impediment to healing race relations in jurisdictions where it is allowed : it is hard to preach about equality and racial healing when you have one demographic being actively discriminated against on the basis of their skin colour/genitalia.  It only serves to rip open old wounds from what I have seen.

 

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Do they not realize "coyote" means human sex trafficking just like "mule" refers to someone who brings drugs?

The scary part is that this person is allegedly a corporate attorney and investment advisor.  Whether they actually practice or not, who knows, but I know who to never seek counsel from lol.

You both would be surprised how far this disease has spread.  An LLB/JD is basically equivalent to a piece of toilet tissue these days due to the fact that they watered down the curriculum/dropped the entry standards so much to accommodate "diversity".  It is a crying shame how poorly read modern law graduates are compared to 20 years ago.

They are even starting to phase out the ACT/SAT in US universities now.  No surprise given they were trying to add adversity scores a little while back.  This bastardization of the educational system needs to stop.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/21/university-california-sat-act-admissions-requirements/5241427002/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sat-adversity-score-college-board-will-use-sat-exam-to-give-students-adversity-score-in-bid-to-level-playing-field/

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CPE said:

They are even starting to phase out the ACT/SAT in US universities now.  No surprise given they were trying to add adversity scores a little while back.  This bastardization of the educational system needs to stop.

 

I think this is at least partially due to COVID and the tests not happening in the spring/summer, then many realizing that it doesn't really matter. I took mine about two years ago, and was going to take it once more in June, then ended up not doing it. I had a good enough score in my mind that I didn't think I needed to take it again. Especially as schools begin to go test-optional. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Affirmative action is in fact not only a very unfair, but also complete wrong policy not just in the US. We don't need quotas or advantages for certain groups of people. We need to measure each one equally and see who's the best for attending a college or being a member of a company's board of directors.

Many of the qualities that would make someone successful at college or on a board are intangible and cannot be measured

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Similar to Obama in 2012, Trump seemed to improve from the first debate. Not surprised - 4 years between debates is a long time.

I think a lot of that had to do with the format. The moderator had the power to mute him if he interrupted.  I think the format forced him to listen to Biden rather than talk over him. I think that helped him a bit in his responses, as it would for anyone. I think Biden should have requested the old format or a Town Hall format. I think the muted mic actually hurts Biden since Biden's strategy was for Trump to set himself on fire again. Trump wasn't spectacular, but he didn't set himself on fire.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vcczar said:

I think the format forced him to listen to Biden rather than talk over him.

Yes - I also think he was probably given feedback after the 1st debate that he came at it a bit too strong.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CPE said:

They are even starting to phase out the ACT/SAT in US universities now.  No surprise given they were trying to add adversity scores a little while back.  This bastardization of the educational system needs to stop.

Good.  Standardized tests have a very poor correlation with post-secondary academic success.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I think this is at least partially due to COVID and the tests not happening in the spring/summer, then many realizing that it doesn't really matter. I took mine about two years ago, and was going to take it once more in June, then ended up not doing it. I had a good enough score in my mind that I didn't think I needed to take it again. Especially as schools begin to go test-optional. 

"The UC system's vote could be a turning point in the long-running debate about the equality of standardized testing, which critics have argued are biased against low-income and minority students and favor wealthier students whose families can afford to spend thousands of dollars on preparatory courses.

Last year, a coalition of civil rights groups filed a lawsuit against the UC system because of its use of testing scores for admission. The group said that its SAT and ACT requirement discriminates against students who can't afford testing preparation."

- Pulled from the USA Today article

I took the SAT/ACT years ago lol (ACT was much more straightforward imo, SAT felt like they were trying to always catch you on a technicality with the questions) and I can assure you that there is a mile of difference in reasoning capabilities between someone with a 15 and someone with a 30 (using the ACT scale).  Does every student who scores a 30+ do well in college/university, not necessarily, but it is a good ballpark indicator of basic reasoning skills and whether an individual is academically inclined enough for certain programs.

I disagree with the premise that socio-economic background is an indicator of success with the test as well.  The only preparation that can really be done is placing practice ones in order to become familiar with the format/sharpen your reasoning skills.  It is not a knowledge based test, it is one designed to test reasoning skills more so.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pilight said:

Good.  Standardized tests have a very poor correlation with post-secondary academic success.

Do you think that everyone has the reasoning capabilities and general intelligence levels to practice as an attorney, doctor, or study to become a theoretical physicist?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CPE said:

"The UC system's vote could be a turning point in the long-running debate about the equality of standardized testing, which critics have argued are biased against low-income and minority students and favor wealthier students whose families can afford to spend thousands of dollars on preparatory courses.

Last year, a coalition of civil rights groups filed a lawsuit against the UC system because of its use of testing scores for admission. The group said that its SAT and ACT requirement discriminates against students who can't afford testing preparation."

- Pulled from the USA Today article

I took the SAT/ACT years ago lol (ACT was much more straightforward imo, SAT felt like they were trying to always catch you on a technicality with the questions) and I can assure you that there is a mile of difference in reasoning capabilities between someone with a 15 and someone with a 30 (using the ACT scale).  Does every student who scores a 30+ do well in college/university, not necessarily, but it is a good ballpark indicator of basic reasoning skills and whether an individual is academically inclined enough for certain programs.

I disagree with the premise that socio-economic background is an indicator of success with the test as well.  The only preparation that can really be done is placing practice ones in order to become familiar with the format/sharpen your reasoning skills.  It is not a knowledge based test, it is one designed to test reasoning skills more so.

Didnt know all that, thanks. Haven't heard much of it in Iowa :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

What would Biden's performance have been like if he didn't spend 4 days halting his campaigning to prepare for the debates? Trump on the other hand during that time period had massive rallies in AZ (x2), PA, and NC.

Today FL (x2).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

What would Biden's performance have been like if he didn't spend 4 days halting his campaigning to prepare for the debates? Trump on the other hand during that time period had massive rallies in AZ (x2), PA, and NC.

Today FL (x2).

Honestly, I'm not sure. Didn't seem like Biden prepared anything specific for debate night. I think Biden probably assumes he's going to win and uses a lot of the time to figure out how to transition quickly. He's probably already vetting people for positions. 

In other news, apparently Bernie Sanders is seeking to be Sec of Labor, but I doubt he gets it when the Gov of VT is Republican. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Didnt know all that, thanks. Haven't heard much of it in Iowa :P

No problem, I was shocked when I heard that US universities were starting to move away from using it in their admissions programs.  Growing up, the importance of standardized testing was practically hammered in my head.

My only question is how will universities who drop the standardized testing requirements filter out applicants for certain programs?  Whether we like it or not, some fields require a certain level of intelligence and reasoning capabilities to be successful in.  Using a grading system local to the student is a horrible idea considering that GPAs are weighted differently in certain areas, which is the problem that standardized testing was designed to to correct.

Not sure how things will be done going forward...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Honestly, I'm not sure. Didn't seem like Biden prepared anything specific for debate night. I think Biden probably assumes he's going to win and uses a lot of the time to figure out how to transition quickly. He's probably already vetting people for positions.

If I were a Dem, I would be very upset if this were the case. Keep your mind in the game, focus 100% on the win, don't start sizing the curtains, don't leave anything to chance.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CPE said:

Do you think that everyone has the reasoning capabilities and general intelligence levels to practice as an attorney, doctor, or study to become a theoretical physicist?

Standardized tests do a poor job of measuring whether someone has that potential

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...