270soft Forum

Biden vetting GOP candidates for cabinet offices

vcczar

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/biden-transition-republican-cabinet-429972

According to this, Biden is considering:

• Fmr Gov John Kasich
  • Gov Charlie Baker
  • Fmr Sen Jeff Flake
  • Fmr Rep Charlie Dent
  • CEO Meg Whitman

I think Baker would be the best of these. I only really like the others if announcing this early would help fend off Trump rising in the polls prior to election day. Flake might help a bit in AZ and Kasich might help a bit in OH. Dent in PA. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Some of those I'm unsure where they'd even fit. I get he wants to make overtures, but still - you need to keep the party happy too. Maybe one of those on the list, and I'm not even sure some would take it (i.e. Baker). It's one of those things that sounds like a good idea for either party, but when it comes to practice it just becomes horrible. Imagine you're Biden trying to pass a public option for the ACA in 2021. But your Secretary of ____ is causing a ruckus in the media saying that there's no way they'll support a public option. It opens you up to bad press. 

You wouldn't put a Republican in charge of Health and Human Services.

Kasich has a background at the OMB, Whitman is a name that sometimes comes up for commerce, Flake could be a Sec of Interior (a job that usually goes to westerners).  Not all of these people will get any post at all, of course.  Just because someone is vetted doesn't mean they get the job -- you vet multiple people for each position so when one person has unpaid taxes or an illegal gardener or whatever, you have other options.

And it's been done many times.  Obama kept Bush's Secretary of Defense.  Trump kept Obama's Secretary of the VA.  You keep the right people, not the extremely partisan ones.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm just saying, even if it is a Secretary of the Interior, they can still go on some news channel and people can claim "chaos in the White House because Sec. ____ says no to this policy!" Opposing party appointees are more willing to poke at the government publicly than someone who is beholden to the Democratic Party. Particularly on issues they may not agree with. Also, appointing a Republican to Commerce or Interior is somewhat of a slap in the face to all of the Dems who have spent time fighting against Trump's tax cuts (which Flake supported), the border wall, the practices towards immigrants at the border. If Biden pursues more lenient policy on the border, will Flake let him, or act out as Sec. of Interior? No one can know for sure, but someone like Julian Castro wouldn't, because he agrees with Biden's policies on it. 

The President can fire Secretaries who flat out refuse to do something.

Seriously -- this isn't new.  The President sits down with whoever their Secretary nominee is and they work through these things.  If the potential Secretary refuses, they're out.  And of course if there's serious concern about whether they'd be agreeable on a given topic, they probably didn't get on the list in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm just saying, even if it is a Secretary of the Interior, they can still go on some news channel and people can claim "chaos in the White House because Sec. ____ says no to this policy!" Opposing party appointees are more willing to poke at the government publicly than someone who is beholden to the Democratic Party. Particularly on issues they may not agree with. Also, appointing a Republican to Commerce or Interior is somewhat of a slap in the face to all of the Dems who have spent time fighting against Trump's tax cuts (which Flake supported), the border wall, the practices towards immigrants at the border. If Biden pursues more lenient policy on the border, will Flake let him, or act out as Sec. of Interior? No one can know for sure, but someone like Julian Castro wouldn't, because he agrees with Biden's policies on it. 

In a Presidential system, Cabinet members are chief bureaucrats and ADVISORS to the President, and their jobs are at the President's pleasure. In a Parliamentary system, it is different, because a Cabinet has more collective power and the Prime Minister/Premier/Chancellor/First Minister/Chief Minister, etc., is, in truth, a first among equals in the Cabinet, and the Cabinet can, actually (and has, historically) ousted the chief executive, and sharp, irresolvable divisions in a Parliamentary Cabinet (especially, but not necessarily, a coalition Cabinet) can easily cause the Government to fall and new elections. Given the rarity of Opposing Party appointments to Cabinets in U.S. politics, it strikes me you're looking to Parliamentary examples when you show concern, which are not good analogs, really.

Obama had two Republican Secretaries of Defense, a Republican Secretary of Transportation, a Republican Secretary of the VA, Republican Secretaries of the Air Force and the Army, a Republican Director of the FBI, a Republican Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

W Bush had a Democrat Secretary of Transportation, a Democrat Secretary of the Army, a Democrat FEMA Director, a Democrat Surgeon General, a Democrat Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives...

Clinton has a Republican Secretary of Defense, two Republican FBI Directors, a Republican Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

HW Bush had a Democrat Secretary of Education, a Democrat Director of the State Department's Policy Planning Staff, a Democrat Commissioner of Federal Ethics Law Reform...

Reagan had a Democrat UN Ambassador, two Democrat Secretaries of Education, a Democrat Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

Carter had a Republican Secretary of Energy and a Republican FBI Director...

Ford had a Democrat UN Ambassador...

Nixon had a Democrat Secretary of the Treasury...

LBJ had a Republican Secretary of Health & Human Services and a Republican Commissioner of Equal Employment Opportunity.

JFK had a Republican Sec of Defense, a Republican Sec of Treasury, a Republican CIA Director, a Republican national Security Advisor...

Eisenhower had a Democrat Sec of Labor, a Democrat Sec of Treasury, a Democrat Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

Truman had a Republican Secretary of Defense, a Republican UN Ambassador...

FDR had a Republican Secretary of Treasury, a Republican Secretary of War, a Republican Secretary of the Navy...

Taft had a Democrat Secretary of War.  So did Teddy Roosevelt.  Grover Cleveland had a Republican Secretary of State.  Abraham Lincoln had a Democrat Secretary of War.  Buchanan had a Republican Secretary of War.  And you can keep going all the way back to George Washington having two Federalists and an Anti-Administration (Thomas Jefferson) member as his Secretaries of State.

This is not new.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Actinguy said:

Obama had two Republican Secretaries of Defense, a Republican Secretary of Transportation, a Republican Secretary of the VA, Republican Secretaries of the Air Force and the Army, a Republican Director of the FBI, a Republican Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

W Bush had a Democrat Secretary of Transportation, a Democrat Secretary of the Army, a Democrat FEMA Director, a Democrat Surgeon General, a Democrat Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives...

Clinton has a Republican Secretary of Defense, two Republican FBI Directors, a Republican Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

HW Bush had a Democrat Secretary of Education, a Democrat Director of the State Department's Policy Planning Staff, a Democrat Commissioner of Federal Ethics Law Reform...

Reagan had a Democrat UN Ambassador, two Democrat Secretaries of Education, a Democrat Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

Carter had a Republican Secretary of Energy and a Republican FBI Director...

Ford had a Democrat UN Ambassador...

Nixon had a Democrat Secretary of the Treasury...

LBJ had a Republican Secretary of Health & Human Services and a Republican Commissioner of Equal Employment Opportunity.

JFK had a Republican Sec of Defense, a Republican Sec of Treasury, a Republican CIA Director, a Republican national Security Advisor...

Eisenhower had a Democrat Sec of Labor, a Democrat Sec of Treasury, a Democrat Chairman of the Federal Reserve...

Truman had a Republican Secretary of Defense, a Republican UN Ambassador...

FDR had a Republican Secretary of Treasury, a Republican Secretary of War, a Republican Secretary of the Navy...

Taft had a Democrat Secretary of War.  So did Teddy Roosevelt.  Grover Cleveland had a Republican Secretary of State.  Abraham Lincoln had a Democrat Secretary of War.  Buchanan had a Republican Secretary of War.  And you can keep going all the way back to George Washington having two Federalists and an Anti-Administration (Thomas Jefferson) member as his Secretaries of State.

This is not new.

There's actually an office called a Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives in the U.S. Federal Government?

Just now, Patine said:

There's actually an office called a Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives in the U.S. Federal Government?

There was, created by W Bush.  It was renamed by Obama.  It was then cancelled by Trump...only to be brought back later as the "Faith and Opportunity Initiative."

I'm not sure where you're getting that. I never referenced any parliamentary things? Simply that they can go public with criticism of government policies, which will end up hurting the Biden administration. 

I must have jumped to conclusions. I just thought it was a rational source of concern, because it has never seemed to be an issue in U.S. executive politics (except for Washington's Cabinet, of course).

We're in a much different era then most of that. I will admit, what I am saying is more of a fear than anything else, but it is a distinct possibility. Many people in the current era are more than willing to go on TV and attack people for a bit of ratings and good press, so I'm not exactly super trustful of Republicans not doing that to Biden. Obviously it depends on who it is, but the general fear is there.

A cabinet member openly politicking would be a violation of the Hatch Act.

Admittedly, nobody seems to care under a Trump administration.  But other than Trump, this has not been a significant issue.

Just now, Actinguy said:

There was, created by W Bush.  It was renamed by Obama.  It was then cancelled by Trump...only to be brought back later as the "Faith and Opportunity Initiative."

Mixing religion and state has always been a toxic brew, throughout recorded world history, and regardless of the religion or the state. Hence my note of concern, there.

Just now, Patine said:

Mixing religion and state has always been a toxic brew, throughout recorded world history, and regardless of the religion or the state. Hence my note of concern, there.

I understood.  As I've said before, my admiration of Bush was more about his foreign policy -- I was not always supportive of his domestic efforts that were unrelated to security concerns at the time.

If I recall correctly, there may have been a ban previously on faith-based organizations competing for government grants.  For example, a church-run daycare could not receive the funding support that a non-church daycare would receive.  Whether you agree or disagree that the church-run daycare should have the same opportunities that a non-church daycare would receive, that was the stated problem they were trying to address.

This won't satisfy progressives. I'd be ok with it, but I don't think Biden will choose any of them in the end. I view this a questionable move to lure some moderates into his pocket but I don't think it will pay off. Baker is popular in a state Biden wins anyway. Whitman is from CA and couldn't even win there. Jeff Flake chose not to run for re-election because a defeat seemed certain, so yeah I don't believe much people will switch to the Biden camp because he vets Flake. Dent is ''just'' a former rep who is not known very much outside of PA I guess. I don't know how popular Kasich is these days, but I guess his presidential run signaled the support he has actually.

28 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

This won't satisfy progressives. I'd be ok with it, but I don't think Biden will choose any of them in the end. I view this a questionable move to lure some moderates into his pocket but I don't think it will pay off. Baker is popular in a state Biden wins anyway. Whitman is from CA and couldn't even win there. Jeff Flake chose not to run for re-election because a defeat seemed certain, so yeah I don't believe much people will switch to the Biden camp because he vets Flake. Dent is ''just'' a former rep who is not known very much outside of PA I guess. I don't know how popular Kasich is these days, but I guess his presidential run signaled the support he has actually.

Frankly, both American Progressives AND Conservatives are always going to be upset and offended with everything, even if what they want is handed to them on a silver platter. The toxic, polarized, divisive, vicious, WW1 trenchline socio-political divide is, in and of itself, the REAL enemy of American politics, governance, and advancement, not one side or the other. As Abraham Lincoln famously said, "a house divided against itself cannot stand."