270soft Forum

Graham considering subpoenas for social media exec's

Saw a report on Fox stating that Lindsey Graham, as chairman of the Judiciary committee, is considering a subpoena of social media executives mostly in response to their blocking of sharing anything related to the Hunter Biden emails or images.

Could this be the October surprise? To me its reminiscent of Comey's email thing, which potentially narrowed the polls enough in late October to allow a Trump victory.

As a supporter of the free market, obviously I support a business's decision to "not bake the cake" by allowing them to block whatever they want, but on the other hand I think it's dirty to say that you're going to stop election interference on social media (especially when many tech executives including Mark Zuckerberg were brought before congress and admitted they wouldn't interfere in the elections) by banning political Trump ads on the platform, but interfering with the election yourself by banning Trump supporters/officials (Charlie Kirk and Kayleigh McKennay), and censoring information that would hurt the Biden campaign. Thoughts?

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Saw a report on Fox stating that Lindsey Graham, as chairman of the Judiciary committee, is considering a subpoena of social media executives mostly in response to their blocking of sharing anything related to the Hunter Biden emails or images.

Could this be the October surprise? To me its reminiscent of Comey's email thing, which potentially narrowed the polls enough in late October to allow a Trump victory.

As a supporter of the free market, obviously I support a business's decision to "not bake the cake" by allowing them to block whatever they want, but on the other hand I think it's dirty to say that you're going to stop election interference on social media (especially when many tech executives including Mark Zuckerberg were brought before congress and admitted they wouldn't interfere in the elections) by banning political Trump ads on the platform, but interfering with the election yourself by banning Trump supporters/officials (Charlie Kirk and Kayleigh McKennay), and censoring information that would hurt the Biden campaign. Thoughts?

What laws are Graham accusing them of breaking, and how is this action not violating the First Amendment. A Government (and especially a party like the Republican Party of the United States) that has long advocated for corporate and private enterprise freedom, empowerment, and lack of regulation seems at the VERY height of hypocrisy to make Mussolini-style censor action when those policies come back and bite them in the ass.

• Upvote 2

They are protected by section 230 of the communication decency act. Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" (47 U.S.C. § 230). In other words, online intermediaries that host or republish speech are protected against a range of laws that might otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. "https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230"  So they have protections for being a platform of free speech but when they begin to censor that they could lose their protections under section 230 is what I've been getting from all the news report of what Senate Republicans want to change because when they start censoring viewpoints and news stories they no longer become just platforms where people can share ideas and news and opinions that they should but it almost at least on the surface that they are targeting conservatives for viewpoints. 

• Upvote 1