270soft Forum

Suzerain Game Demo

Just played the Suzerain demo on Steam yesterday and here's my little review of it. Spoilers free at first then some light-spoilers below.

If you want a pure country simulator down to micromanaging budgets, diplomacy, and military, this might not be your game.

But if you want a story-driver, politics RPG where you play as a leader of a country, talk to your cabinet members, decide basic policies, nominate supreme court picks, and manage the seats your party gets in the elections, I think this may be your game.

You play as the newly elected leader of the fictional country of Sordland, and depending on the choices you make in the prologue, the country will be in different states of turmoil and it's up to you to fix it. There's also different factions in the game, which I'll describe in detail below. One thing I noticed in game is the detail presented in the legislature and supreme court, in which case there's about 4 different parties in congress, and 3 different factions on the Supreme Court, so I assume you can nominate new ones on the death of the old ones, and that the congress party membership will change in reaction to your policies.

This game definitely shows promise, and I would recommend giving it a play. The game is scheduled to release after the votes are counted for the 2016 Presidential Election. If PI ever gets a President simulator, it should take some inspiration from this game.

***LIGHT SPOILERS BELOW***

The game shows a lot of promise, and I especially like how the game handles interpersonal relationships with family, congressmembers, even your characters own personal driver/bodyguard. I'm 90% sure the beginning circumstances are different based on the choices you make, and I was taking the reins of a country where the 2nd President was voted out of the party after failing to make Democratic and economic reforms in the country after the 1st President who took over after a military coup was kicked out of the party.

The demo only took place half a year in-game time, but there were many interesting events that unfolded. A revolutionary member of a communist faction (I was running as an authoritarian leader who supported free markets) was killed, and I had to put aside my differences to speak at his funeral. I also turned down a bribe to award a construction contract to a real estate tycoon's business (the game allows you to build personal wealth, though I don't know what that does yet), and I had to deal with a border dispute with a neighboring country. Very interesting game, definitely play the demo.

• Thanks 3
2 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Just played the Suzerain demo on Steam yesterday and here's my little review of it. Spoilers free at first then some light-spoilers below.

If you want a pure country simulator down to micromanaging budgets, diplomacy, and military, this might not be your game.

But if you want a story-driver, politics RPG where you play as a leader of a country, talk to your cabinet members, decide basic policies, nominate supreme court picks, and manage the seats your party gets in the elections, I think this may be your game.

You play as the newly elected leader of the fictional country of Sordland, and depending on the choices you make in the prologue, the country will be in different states of turmoil and it's up to you to fix it. There's also different factions in the game, which I'll describe in detail below. One thing I noticed in game is the detail presented in the legislature and supreme court, in which case there's about 4 different parties in congress, and 3 different factions on the Supreme Court, so I assume you can nominate new ones on the death of the old ones, and that the congress party membership will change in reaction to your policies.

This game definitely shows promise, and I would recommend giving it a play. The game is scheduled to release after the votes are counted for the 2016 Presidential Election. If PI ever gets a President simulator, it should take some inspiration from this game.

***LIGHT SPOILERS BELOW***

The game shows a lot of promise, and I especially like how the game handles interpersonal relationships with family, congressmembers, even your characters own personal driver/bodyguard. I'm 90% sure the beginning circumstances are different based on the choices you make, and I was taking the reins of a country where the 2nd President was voted out of the party after failing to make Democratic and economic reforms in the country after the 1st President who took over after a military coup was kicked out of the party.

The demo only took place half a year in-game time, but there were many interesting events that unfolded. A revolutionary member of a communist faction (I was running as an authoritarian leader who supported free markets) was killed, and I had to put aside my differences to speak at his funeral. I also turned down a bribe to award a construction contract to a real estate tycoon's business (the game allows you to build personal wealth, though I don't know what that does yet), and I had to deal with a border dispute with a neighboring country. Very interesting game, definitely play the demo.

The character creation part is great. I can't figure out how to make time pass once you are elected and in control of the game. 

Completed the demo. Very interesting concept for a game and I'm very impressed by the demo. I hope the full game is just as good when it comes out, and can be updated over the years to a top quality game.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, vcczar said:

The character creation part is great. I can't figure out how to make time pass once you are elected and in control of the game. 

You click on the cities that have "!" In them for action scenes and the like. But yeah definitely love the world building in the intro scenes.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You click on the cities that have "!" In them for action scenes and the like. But yeah definitely love the world building in the intro scenes.

Sounds like it doesn't hold a candle to Civ2, especially given Civ2's immense customizability and scenario-making possibilities.

46 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sounds like it doesn't hold a candle to Civ2, especially given Civ2's immense customizability and scenario-making possibilities.

It’s an entirely different game, much more detailed.  Civ 2 doesn’t hold a candle to Madden, if we’re judging the games based on which one is a better NFL simulator.  ;c)

I tried the demo last night.  I enjoyed it, though you have to get through a LOT of text to make it to a single decision, then a lot more text to reach a second decision, etc.  Not done with the demo yet, but all that story makes me think replay value will be low.

• Like 2

I have to stay up until midnight in order to register for a mandatory in-person meeting with a professor. I guess I know what game I'll try this evening :D 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Patine said:

Did you play it?

• Like 1
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Did you play it?

I've been busy, actually - with RL, you know. I'm not a freewheeling kid like you, without a care in the world, and nothing but time. :P

• Haha 2

Definitely feels like one to watch. My playthrough went basically exactly the same as yours, hopefully the full game will through up a bit more variety based on your decisions. Was good fun though.

It's awesome so far.

I'd like to see a way to fast-forward dialogues to decisions without clicking. Perhaps spacebaring.

I only saw three or four Supreme Court justices in detail. I hope they didn't ignore the others lol