270soft Forum

Historic Vote #2: McCarthy Condemnation

vcczar

Historic Vote #2: McCarthy Condemnation  

29 members have voted

1. 1. See my first comment for the backstory, then vote. If you were a US Senator in 1954, would you vote to condemn Sen. McCarthy?

2. 2. What follow up punishment would you support?

• No further punishment.
    • Removal as chair from at least one committee.
    • Removal from all his committees.
    • A vote to expel him from the US Senate.
  3. 3. What would be closer to your official stance on the US Communism threat in 1954?

• I support efforts of McCarthy and the House Committee of Un-American activities in rooting out Communists and testing their loyalties to our country.
    • I do not support efforts of McCarthy and the House Committee of Un-American activities in rooting out Communists and testing their loyalties to our country.
  4. 4. If you were a Senator in 1954, I'd be..... [Only including those types of Senators that existed in 1954]

• A conservative-to-traditionalist, anti-Communist Republican.
    • A conservative-to-traditionalist, anti-Communist Democrat.
    • A socially liberal-to-moderate Rockefeller Republican who opposes Communism but feels McCarthyism is self-destructive.
    • A moderate Republican who thinks the focus should be on Communists outside the US and not those within the US.
    • A standard New Deal Democrat who doesn't see uprooting US Communism as a high priority but thinks we should contain it abroad.
    • An independent progressive Senator who opposes the House Committee of Un-American Activities in general.
    • A populist progressive Democrat that is mostly ignoring any "Communist threat" to focus on domestic issues.
    • A populist conservative that thinks the Red Scare should be expanded to other groups such as "homosexuals" and potentially other outsiders.

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

For years, Sen. Joseph McCarthy (R-WI) has been the presiding influence of an anti-Communist effort to expose Communists within the government and within industries such as Hollywood. Through the years, McCarthy has increasingly accused individuals of subversion or treason without proper evidence of Communist membership, leading to backlisting, job losses, and total career destructions for many of those accused. 

As a result, McCarthy and the House of Un-American Activities Committee have become increasingly unpopular. McCarthy was seen as badgering witnesses, breaking protocol, and ignoring common courtesy during hearings. McCarthy's smear tactics against his targets and his critics escalated, especially as he became more unpopular. The last straw for many was when he publicly defamed General Zwicker. 

A vote condemning McCarthy was initiated primarily by fellow Republicans. Initially, 46 charges were considered. Of these, the Senate reduced the charge to this statement:

“acted contrary to senatorial ethics and tended to bring the Senate into dishonor and disrepute, to obstruct the constitutional processes of the Senate, and to impair its dignity; and such conduct is hereby condemned.”

On, December 2, 1954 Sen. Joseph McCarthy (R-WI) faces a censure/condemnation vote from the Senate. If you were a US Senator would you vote to condemn Senator McCarthy?

1st to vote :

1 See my first comment for the backstory, then vote. If you were a US Senator in 1954, would you vote to condemn Sen. McCarthy?

Yes. Because supporting McCarthy means going against the essential roots of a traditionnal judicial system and how it works.

2. What follow up punishment would you support?

Removal from all his committees. Because he is rightfully senator of his state, but does not deserve to lead his committees if it's for violating the way justice has to be delivered.

3. What would be closer to your official stance on the US Communism threat in 1954?

I do not support efforts of McCarthy and the House Committee of Un-American activities in rooting out Communists and testing their loyalties to our country.

4. If you were a Senator in 1954, I'd be..... [Only including those types of Senators that existed in 1954]

A socially liberal-to-moderate Rockefeller Republican who opposes Communism but feels McCarthyism is self-destructive.

I struggled with this one.  Yes, we know now that McCarthyism went too far — but would I have recognized that in 1954?

Then I remembered that despite strongly supporting the amping up of our defensive measures and our wars after 9/11, I was firmly against those who spoke out against Muslims at large.  I lost family members over it, but I understood that Muslims are not our enemy, terrorists are.

I’d like to think I could have understood similar sentiments in 1954, then.

• Like 1