270soft Forum

RealClearPolitics Polling Averages 2020 vs. 2016

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Last election, my upper middle class Ohio neighborhood was a sea of “lock her up” signs.

About a month ago, I noticed that the split between Trump and Biden signs was more 50/50.

Well, I just walked through my neighborhood on foot, intentionally counting.  And we have a sudden infestation again.

23 Trump sign houses, 7 Biden sign houses (including mine.). Plus two houses that had no presidential sign but just “pray to end abortion”, and one that had no presidential sign but did display a LGBT flag.

One trend:  A lot of the Trump houses also had signs about supporting the police.

My neighborhood has 1 Trump flag to about 50 Biden/Harris signs. 

I sort of expect Trump to win OH unless he’s winning by +4 in the state in every OH poll from about here on. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I sort of expect Trump to win OH unless he’s winning by +4 in the state in every OH poll from about here on. 

Possibly skewing my neighborhood count:  There's a prominently located house in the next neighborhood over, proudly displaying "GET YOUR TRUMP SIGNS HERE".

I've seen no similar house for Biden signs -- we ordered ours online.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Possibly skewing my neighborhood count:  There's a prominently located house in the next neighborhood over, proudly displaying "GET YOUR TRUMP SIGNS HERE".

I have a Biden bumper sticker in my office but no signage. I’ll put it out on Election Day. I’m sort of afraid of the few Trump supporters in my neighborhood defacing property.  

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

The main problem with the US nowadays is that counties are way more sided than they were 30 years ago.

So it depends where you live in Ohio, but if a tierce of your district has switched for the dems it's a big deal cause there are neighborhoods like the one of Vcczar where it's full Biden.

We know that the election will be settled in the suburbs

Cause rural america is now fully GOP

And towns fully DEM :

• Like 1
4 hours ago, vcczar said:

w all due respect you seem to be very biased against trump in general so im sure the neighborhood you chose to live in (or vice versa) influences your anecdotes.  

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

w all due respect you seem to be very biased against trump in general so im sure the neighborhood you chose to live in (or vice versa) influences your anecdotes.  

That’s a silly take.  He lives in a city, which tends to be democrats.  The same could be said of a Trump supporter living in a rural area, where most folks are Republicans.

Of course people are shaped by their surroundings.  It’s true, but it doesn’t make for an interesting response.

20 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Where do you live?

Also, if it means anything, I was born and raised in Texas in a wealthy, conservative neighborhood in a religious family. If my didn’t influence me, I doubt a neighborhood would. 

I’m also not sure how a place that is showing 50 to 1 Biden to Trump signs or is showing a bias in an anecdote. I’m relaying what I’m seeing. I’m in Philadelphia. It voted like 20% Trump in 2016 and like 80% Clinton. I’m not sure what you’re expecting me to actually see. 

23 hours ago, vcczar said:

Where do you live?

Also, if it means anything, I was born and raised in Texas in a wealthy, conservative neighborhood in a religious family. If my didn’t influence me, I doubt a neighborhood would. 

I’m also not sure how a place that is showing 50 to 1 Biden to Trump signs or is showing a bias in an anecdote. I’m relaying what I’m seeing. I’m in Philadelphia. It voted like 20% Trump in 2016 and like 80% Clinton. I’m not sure what you’re expecting me to actually see. 

I live in a liberal area.

I just mean when you're picking where to live you probably would pick a place you have an affiliation towards unless work/etc forces you otherwise. 

and 50:1 is very different than 80:20. 

50:1 sounds very extreme. 

10 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

I live in a liberal area.

I just mean when you're picking where to live you probably would pick a place you have an affiliation towards unless work/etc forces you otherwise. 

and 50:1 is very different than 80:20. 

50:1 sounds very extreme. 

Hey, I don't pick what signs are in my neighborhood. Maybe only one Trump supporter feels comfortable having their sign out. 

As for places I choose to live. I don't pick my places to live based off politics. I actually don't think about it when I do. I just pick a city with a good subway system or metro system and live within walking distance of that line. I pick the most affordable neighborhood with a low crime rate and with coffee shops. I don't think about politics, comfort, yards, parking, or anything like that. 

I actually live in a neighborhood in Philadelphia that's probably the furthest from downtown. I would have assumed my neighborhood was less liberal than others, but I'm surprised how many Biden/Harris signs see. I see at least one new one every day, including today. I see the same Trump flag in one guy's house about 3 or 4 blocks away. Note: I walk everywhere in my neighborhood. So when I say 50:1.   I'm saying, I see one Trump flag and 50+ Biden/Harris signs in about a 20x20 block radius. 

However, to add to this, I've been to at least three suburbs within a month and I've seen more Biden/Harris signs in the suburbs than Trump signs. My guess I saw two Biden signs for every Trump sign, possibly even 3:1. 

The only place I've been to that has had more Trump signs than Biden signs is Cape May, NJ. There it was like 3 Trump for every 2 Biden signs. 

May I ask what city/state you live in?