270soft Forum

Poll: Presidential Nominees and Libertarian Party.

SilentLiberty

Presidential Nominees   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

2. 2. Who would you vote for?

3. 3. Who would you vote for?

4. 4. Who would you vote for?

5. 5. Who would you vote for?

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

Just a who would you vote for poll.

Note I would have done Trump vs Hawkins but I ran out of questions. 

And the reason Libertarian party got a shout out was the idea I had was Jorgensen vs the other three in individual polls.

Edited by SilentLiberty
Other four was meant to be other three, as she is the fourth oops.

5 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

None of the above. I’d vote for the solidarity party, as they are the only true distributist party in America.

Officially on the ballot in 8 states and write in certified in many others. Founded in 2011, officially incorporated in 2016. 

At 70 years old Brian T. Carroll is younger than both major party nominees. 

• Like 1

Here's my two-step voting philosophy: 

Step 1: Which parties on election day are polling even a 1% chance of getting 270 EVs? 

Step 2: Vote for the more socially liberal, more pro-science, more pro-education, more overall progressive party of those that fulfill step 1. 

Until the Green Party or the Libertarian Party can meet the standards of Step 1, I won't even consider them as existing on election day. 

Here's my preference if none of this mattered:

Sanders Social Democrat > Warren Progressive Democrat > Green > Establishment Democrats > Moderate Republicans > Libertarians > > Nationalist Republicans > Conservative Republicans 

I've never heard of Howie Hawkins before seeing that name in this poll.  I'm not 100% sure but I think the only place I've ever heard Jo Jorgensen's name mentioned is within this forum.  

Of course, I know both Trump and Biden well enough that the only question that gave me any pause at all was Jo vs. Howie -- a competition between "The only thing I know about them is their name and party affiliation" vs. "the only thing I know about them is their name."

13 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I've never heard of Howie Hawkins before seeing that name in this poll.  I'm not 100% sure but I think the only place I've ever heard Jo Jorgensen's name mentioned is within this forum.  

Of course, I know both Trump and Biden well enough that the only question that gave me any pause at all was Jo vs. Howie -- a competition between "The only thing I know about them is their name and party affiliation" vs. "the only thing I know about them is their name."

I had never heard of any of the 3rd party candidate either. I do know now that Jorgensen had been a VP choice for the Libertarians and that Hawkins was one of the founders of the Green Party way back. Seems like Jorgensen might take some voters that might vote Trump. Hawkins is getting significantly less attention than him. Regardless, both 3rd parties are significantly weaker than they were in 2016.

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's my two-step voting philosophy: 

Step 1: Which parties on election day are polling even a 1% chance of getting 270 EVs? 

Step 2: Vote for the more socially liberal, more pro-science, more pro-education, more overall progressive party of those that fulfill step 1. 

Until the Green Party or the Libertarian Party can meet the standards of Step 1, I won't even consider them as existing on election day. 

Here's my preference if none of this mattered:

Sanders Social Democrat > Warren Progressive Democrat > Green > Establishment Democrats > Moderate Republicans > Libertarians > > Nationalist Republicans > Conservative Republicans 

The problem with Step 1 is the collective de facto control by the two Duopoly Parties over the FEC, the Federal Justices who adjudicate alleged electoral irregularities, ballot access and voting laws passed by State Legislatures, and the loyalty of the media barons (and thus election coverage) and big money donors. This has, de facto, if not de jure, long made U.S. elections highly uncompetitive for, and stacked unfairly against, non-Duopoly candidates, as I have often pointed out.

42 minutes ago, Patine said:

The problem with Step 1 is the collective de facto control by the two Duopoly Parties over the FEC, the Federal Justices who adjudicate alleged electoral irregularities, ballot access and voting laws passed by State Legislatures, and the loyalty of the media barons (and thus election coverage) and big money donors. This has, de facto, if not de jure, long made U.S. elections highly uncompetitive for, and stacked unfairly against, non-Duopoly candidates, as I have often pointed out.

I understand the issue, but until that changes this is how I'm voting. I see no virtue in allowing the worst of too imperfect parties get elected. Maybe I would if the two parties were indistinguishable from one another or both had progressive wings in their party. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I understand the issue, but until that changes this is how I'm voting. I see no virtue in allowing the worst of too imperfect parties get elected. Maybe I would if the two parties were indistinguishable from one another or both had progressive wings in their party. 

You are entitled to your own voting ethics, and I, myself, am glad I do not have suffrage in the United States and be obligated to make these decisions. I understand your choice, and hope one day you are able to have a better and more robust selection of candidates and viewpoints. But, as I am trying to avoid descending into angry screeds, my response is thus, even if it is a bit awkward-sounding.

• Thanks 1