270soft Forum

Feinstein hugging Graham sparks outrage

Just now, admin_270 said:

Ya, the question is what exactly are they testing? The basic mechanics of air flow and droplets? Sure, but that's not the relevant question. The relevant question is how that translates into real world results. I could show you graph after graph of regions that put face mask mandates in place, only to have cases blow up.

Yeah I think the real question is if people actually follow the guidelines. However, at least personally in Iowa, the lowest positive rates are in Des Moines, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids, who have all taken more steps than the state as a whole. Masks work, people actually need to wear them to have it work, though. The second someone goes to a friends house and no one wears a mask, then there's a possibility of spikes after that if people continue to do that.

What's the problem here? Graham and Feinstein are friends in the Senate and have been for a while. It's kinda nice to see some respect in politics one in a while. And for the, as Trump calls it, kung flu (1 reason why I don't like Trump) concerns, like my grandma and grandpa can still hug each other, it's not some mortal sin.

6 minutes ago, buenoboss said:

What's the problem here? Graham and Feinstein are friends in the Senate and have been for a while. It's kinda nice to see some respect in politics one in a while. And for the, as Trump calls it, kung flu (1 reason why I don't like Trump) concerns, like my grandma and grandpa can still hug each other, it's not some mortal sin.

Your grandparents live in the same house. Graham was with people that had COVID recently, including those on the committee, and Feinstein is 87. She was reckless.

48 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

DiFi is one of my favorite Democrats in the Senate. A highlight for me was how she handled the sunrise kids. Every time I watch that video I find myself cheering for her uncontrollably. Major point of sympathy for me that definitely improved my opinion of her.

I never had an opinion on her but I thought this was classy

13 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Your grandparents live in the same house. Graham was with people that had COVID recently, including those on the committee, and Feinstein is 87. She was reckless.

5 minutes ago, buenoboss said:

It's really not a big deal in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I never had an opinion on her but I thought this was classy

Just watch. One of those far-right-wing crackpot wacko conspiracy theorists will accuse Feinstein of an "assassination attempt," against Graham... :S

31 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Graham was with people that had COVID recently, including those on the committee, and Feinstein is 87.

Do you think it was reckless for Feinstein to be in person at the hearing at all?

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Do you think it was reckless for Feinstein to be in person at the hearing at all?

I think so to a degree. Shes in a very much high risk category.

• Thanks 1

The problem here is that this hearing should never have happened in the first place if we followed what Lindsey Graham had said he vowed to do several times the past few years. Feinstein calling it one of the best hearings she has been a part of and then hugging Graham, just makes no sense. It symbolizes the weaknesses of the dem party leadership to hold their ground and not let the other party get away with things like this. 

Why an 87 year old is still in congress with important leadership positions is beyond me. If she runs for re-election instead of retiring I hope the party decides to rally around a challenger in the primary. 

1 minute ago, MysteryKnight said:

It symbolizes the weaknesses of the dem party leadership to hold their ground and not let the other party get away with things like this. 

Frankly, both Duopoly Parties in the U.S. have weak - or crooked or criminally-minded, one or more of the three - leaderships, and always find ways to twist around and contrive their "convictions," to allow the main opposition party to get away with things they fully intend to benefit from getting away with themselves, later. Please, do not pretend this problem is rare, or strictly a partisan issue.

I mean Feinstein is of the same ilk of Graham so I wouldn't be upset with this. 

But I wouldn't be supportive of any Politician from my side being friendly with People like Graham. People who are directly responsible to a lot of deaths by refusing to expand medicade. By threatening Obamacare and by not supporting M4A or any form of Universal Healthcare. These people would not shed a tear for the Yemeni Humanitarian Crisis. So I don't think your (most Liberals and apparently some people here) obsession with Civility makes you any more virtuous than us. You want Aesthetic Civility. But Civility is useless for people whose lives depend on Policies that need to be fought hard for. 

• Confused 1

This is similar to Liberal obsession with being "Civil" with Bush, a literal war criminal. 

While Graham is not as worse as Bush, the same argument can be made due to his stupid policies. 

It's not just "politics" it's life and death to a lot of people. Insulin Price is not "just politics". Inhaler is not "just politics". 

• Confused 1
Just now, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

This is similar to Liberal obsession with being "Civil" with Bush, a literal war criminal. 

While Graham is not as worse as Bush, the same argument can be made due to his stupid policies. 

It's not just "politics" it's life and death to a lot of people. Insulin Price is not "just politics". Inhaler is not "just politics". 

It would be nice if there more real choices in U.S. elections, and a multi-party with relevance to force compromise and either absolute governance or gridlock. It would be nice if Zoroastrianism was not the secret state religion of the United States of America. :S

10 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

What @vcczar says is why. Shes literally 87 and theyre both maskless and Graham refused to get tested. She's being stupid.

I'd hope both have been recently. 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, admin_270 said:

Ya, the question is what exactly are they testing? The basic mechanics of air flow and droplets? Sure, but that's not the relevant question. The relevant question is how that translates into real world results. I could show you graph after graph of regions that put face mask mandates in place, only to have cases blow up.

Kentucky being a prime example of that. We've had record cases despite King Andy the Terrible's mask mandates (as well as others)

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Kentucky being a prime example of that. We've had record cases despite King Andy the Terrible's mask mandates (as well as others)

I'd take anyone over COVID Kim :P

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/staff-columnist/living-with-it-in-kim-reynolds-iowa-as-the-virus-spreads-20201018

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

You do know, when it comes to a pandemic, the Libertarian ideal that "people shouldn't be mandatorily protected from themselves," doesn't apply that way, because you are still a danger, potentially lethally so, to others for completely disobeying just on "freedom," principles.

18 hours ago, Patine said:

You do know, when it comes to a pandemic, the Libertarian ideal that "people shouldn't be mandatorily protected from themselves," doesn't apply that way, because you are still a danger, potentially lethally so, to others for completely disobeying just on "freedom," principles.

SO why should I wear a mask during this but not during a flu pandemic? The death rate in Kentucky is 1.5% and the majority are from long term care facilities. On my college campus, the probability of dying from the virus is lower than dying in a car accident. Rather than acting like humans can stop a virus from going around through arbitrary lockdowns and mandates (which have NOT stopped the spread), maybe we should focus on trying to protect the most vulnerable to the greatest extent possible.

Oh, and if you go out into public, you assume the risks of doing so. If you only want to shop at places that require masks because it makes you feel better, you are free remove your business from those who do not.

20 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

I have no idea if you would care, but there is evidence that Beshear has used state funds to attempt to slander, target, and squash those who do not agree with his actions (mainly focused on the religious community). Literally the definition of fascism.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

SO why should I wear a mask during this but not during a flu pandemic? The death rate in Kentucky is 1.5% and the majority are from long term care facilities. On my college campus, the probability of dying from the virus is lower than dying in a car accident. Rather than acting like humans can stop a virus from going around through arbitrary lockdowns and mandates (which have NOT stopped the spread), maybe we should focus on trying to protect the most vulnerable to the greatest extent possible.

Oh, and if you go out into public, you assume the risks of doing so. If you only want to shop at places that require masks because it makes you feel better, you are free remove your business from those who do not.

Standard flus have vaxines and are rarely fatal in modern First World Nations. This pandemic is far different. But I believe you're epitomizing one of the most despicable aspects of Libertarian ideology - the self-centred view of "personal rights," and potentially to Hell with with everyone and everything else. It's anathema to natural human social nature, in the long-run, and psychologically, socially, and morally degenerative to engage in such a viewpoint.

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I have no idea if you would care, but there is evidence that Beshear has used state funds to attempt to slander, target, and squash those who do not agree with his actions (mainly focused on the religious community). Literally the definition of fascism.

Uh, no, Fascism is somethings else - something much worse. I REALLY wish people would stop irresponsibly and inappropriate throwing around words like, "Fascist," "Nazi," "Communist," and even "Terrorist," all the time. It kills their own credibility, and denigrates that of the whole socio-political discourse.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Standard flus have vaxines and are rarely fatal in modern First World Nations. This pandemic is far different. But I believe you're epitomizing one of the most despicable aspects of Libertarian ideology - the self-centred view of "personal rights," and potentially to Hell with with everyone and everything else. It's anathema to natural human social nature, in the long-run, and psychologically, socially, and morally degenerative to engage in such a viewpoint.

Standard flu vaccines are highly ineffective, which is why so many people still get the flu every year. It sounds like this virus will be very similar based on reports (though that remains to be seen). But if that is the case, we will be living with it well into the future. Additionally, the CDC has come out and said that the vast majority of deaths have had complicating factors. That is not to say that all would have died without the virus, but a large chunk would have (not to mention the example of a car accident death being listed as a virus death). And then you have the arbitrary nature of these orders which only target certain people/industries/businesses and not others.

But all in all, I would argue that it is selfish for you to try and dictate what I do in my life with no knowledge of my situation.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Uh, no, Fascism is somethings else - something much worse. I REALLY wish people would stop irresponsibly and inappropriate throwing around words like, "Fascist," "Nazi," "Communist," and even "Terrorist," all the time. It kills their own credibility, and denigrates that of the whole socio-political discourse.

Ah, yes. This is an example of fascism. It may not be full on fascism, but it is an aspect of it. I do not use that word lightly because of what it means (and the overuse of trigger words these days), but it is undeniable in this instance.

12 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Kim Reynolds has spent $21 million of CARES funding inappropriately. Kentucky's population is over a million larger than Iowa's, but we have 200 more deaths.

I can't say what I don't know about, so I'm not going to say that isn't happening, but I'm surprised places like Fox aren't pointing that out...

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Ah, yes. This is an example of fascism. It may not be full on fascism, but it is an aspect of it. I do not use that word lightly because of what it means (and the overuse of trigger words these days), but it is undeniable in this instance.

It was used by Fascists, but it was not, and is not, a Fascist innovation or even remotely or nearly tied to, or endemic to them. It's a tactic of nastiness so widespread in human endeavour as to be ubiquitous. Machiavelli's book, "the Prince," mentions it, and Confucious scolds against. They lived a LONG time ago. To SPECIFICALLY label such a tactic as, "Fascist," is a disingenuous tactic leaning heavily on the notorious baggage associated with Fascism - in fact, it could be construed as a form of slander in and of itself.