270soft Forum

Feinstein hugging Graham sparks outrage

ThePotatoWalrus

It's sad how Feinstein hugging Graham sparks an outrage when the left proposes that they are the ones who are trying to end the partisanship with a Biden Presidency.

Google it if you don't know what i'm talking about.

I definitely thought this was Wholesome 100 Keanu Chungus (thanks for the gold kind stranger)

huggraham.thumb.jpg.1a1352fc90a350dac882f59e3b2d7ce7.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't know why anyone should be upset about that. Nothing's wrong here. You can disagree about virtually any issue and still have respect for each other.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The only thing that bothers me is that they both appear to be maskless. 

4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

What @vcczar says is why. Shes literally 87 and theyre both maskless and Graham refused to get tested. She's being stupid.

I also think a big part of why people are upset with her @ThePotatoWalrus is because she had just complimented Graham and she is insanely out of touch with the people who vote her into office. The mask thing is a big deal too obviously but this is like when she was lecturing kids about how they didn't know what her job was. 

• Like 1

Grahams good friends with most everybody on the hill. Anyone having a problem with this needs to rethink themselves I believe. One of the few things I admire about my own Senator. He knows how to put politics asides, and he can be bipartisan when he needs too. Sadly that's faded during the Trump Administration... but a hint of it is still there. 

I have a feeling cloth masks are turning into magical devices in some people's minds.

They *might* slow the spread *a bit*. The real-world evidence is highly debatable. 

But if you're hugging, you're too close for them to do much either way. The aerosolized water particles are coming out the top, bottom, and sides of a cloth mask.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

It's sad how Feinstein hugging Graham sparks an outrage when the left proposes that they are the ones who are trying to end the partisanship with a Biden Presidency.

Google it if you don't know what i'm talking about.

I definitely thought this was Wholesome 100 Keanu Chungus (thanks for the gold kind stranger)

huggraham.thumb.jpg.1a1352fc90a350dac882f59e3b2d7ce7.jpg

It is yet another sign that the American partisan divide is not just political, but is a toxic socio-cultural force, a cancer on the nation, splitting people into two hateful, irrational, incendiary factions with no compromise and bad stereotypes pre-dominating. This divide is killing the U.S. from within, and is a greater threat to the nation than any foreign power, ideology, or economic factor could be - just like the Roman Empire died of rotting from within long before any Gothic armies were knocking on the gates of Rome. Since positive and negative religions (well, peaceful and violent ones, specifically - but expanding a bit here) were mentioned in another post, today, Zoroastrianism and Manichaeanism truly deserve to be called out for the horrid legacy of Dualist thinking they left to the world, which is still strong today.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Its a lot better than not wearing them. There is a risk, yes, but its a lot higher if not.

Yes, I know many people believe this. But it's debatable.

I was recently watching an interview between a French journalist (France has a mask mandate) and Anders Tegnell (top epidemiologist, Sweden). The journalist asked Tegnell why Sweden not only didn't have a mask mandate, but didn't even recommend them. He said (paraphrasing) "the evidence is weak that masks work to significantly slow the spread, and if they do work, the effect is small."

DiFi is one of my favorite Democrats in the Senate. A highlight for me was how she handled the sunrise kids. Every time I watch that video I find myself cheering for her uncontrollably. Major point of sympathy for me that definitely improved my opinion of her.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

What do you mean? This is his measured judgment based on the totality of evidence he was aware of at the time of the interview, presumably.

Contexts of differing situations by nation, and the fact that policy must be considered for each, and that blanket policies might not be that reliable, overly, is often ignored.

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

DiFi is one of my favorite Democrats in the Senate. A highlight for me was how she handled the sunrise kids. Every time I watch that video I find myself cheering for her uncontrollably. Major point of sympathy for me that definitely improved my opinion of her.

I remember when Benjamin Netanyahu made his famous speech before the U.S. Congress saying he, "spoke for all the world's Jewish People," and Feinstein said to the press coming out of that session, "he doesn't speak for me." That was a classic moment!

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Who defines quality? I'm not sure that he is basing it on science versus trying to defend government policy (which he works for).

Ya, so at this point it's a question of authority. If you don't think he knows his stuff, you probably don't care what he thinks.

At the very least, top experts (of whom Tegnell is one) disagree on this.

Having said that, Tegnell has a lot of input into Swedish government policy on this, so I don't think he's reflexively defending it simply because it is government policy there.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I trust the US hospitals who have put a lot of work into testing this issue.

Ya, the question is what exactly are they testing? The basic mechanics of air flow and droplets? Sure, but that's not the relevant question. The relevant question is how that translates into real world results. I could show you graph after graph of regions that put face mask mandates in place, only to have cases blow up.

What's the problem here? Graham and Feinstein are friends in the Senate and have been for a while. It's kinda nice to see some respect in politics one in a while. And for the, as Trump calls it, kung flu (1 reason why I don't like Trump) concerns, like my grandma and grandpa can still hug each other, it's not some mortal sin.

48 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I never had an opinion on her but I thought this was classy

13 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Your grandparents live in the same house. Graham was with people that had COVID recently, including those on the committee, and Feinstein is 87. She was reckless.

5 minutes ago, buenoboss said:

It's really not a big deal in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I never had an opinion on her but I thought this was classy

Just watch. One of those far-right-wing crackpot wacko conspiracy theorists will accuse Feinstein of an "assassination attempt," against Graham... :S

The problem here is that this hearing should never have happened in the first place if we followed what Lindsey Graham had said he vowed to do several times the past few years. Feinstein calling it one of the best hearings she has been a part of and then hugging Graham, just makes no sense. It symbolizes the weaknesses of the dem party leadership to hold their ground and not let the other party get away with things like this. 

Why an 87 year old is still in congress with important leadership positions is beyond me. If she runs for re-election instead of retiring I hope the party decides to rally around a challenger in the primary. 

1 minute ago, MysteryKnight said:

It symbolizes the weaknesses of the dem party leadership to hold their ground and not let the other party get away with things like this. 

Frankly, both Duopoly Parties in the U.S. have weak - or crooked or criminally-minded, one or more of the three - leaderships, and always find ways to twist around and contrive their "convictions," to allow the main opposition party to get away with things they fully intend to benefit from getting away with themselves, later. Please, do not pretend this problem is rare, or strictly a partisan issue.