270soft Forum

Where do the leaders stand on Covid-19 for the game?

1 minute ago, Defiant said:

Wouldn't that allow the player to modify their position (to whatever they want) while it's not very important and thus not have to face as much political heat for making such changes during the campaign?  Or can you lock it before the pandemic starts, so the player can't change their position on an event that hasn't happened yet, and have to wait for the event before they can change it?

Yes, they could modify it early on. But can do that with almost any issue. Could make it locked, but seems unrealistic.

11 minutes ago, Defiant said:

I think, at least on the Democratic side, with the possible exception of governors (who have to implement policy), I think they're mostly letting Biden lead.

Trump is Right with some smattering of Center-Right and Far-Right on occasion.

Also, I'm not sure the scale of far-left to far-right is right, unless you're just using it as a stand-in for some scale.  Because there were certainly plenty of far-left activists in the streets protesting.  My impression was that most (but not all) were wearing masks, but they certainly didn't seem pro-lockdown, at least by that point.

Ya, people protesting seem to have an 'it's worth it for these kinds of protests' view.

I've set the regional centres to largely follow the Role of Government regional centres. 

For battleground states, they are mostly Center. Nevada is Center-Right (due to reliance on in-building tourism).

What do you all think about Vermont's centre? Its Role of Government centre is currently Center.

I agree with Nevada.  I think Ohio was somewhat center-left for a while, while Florida and maybe Arizona would be center-right.  (Of course, some states shifted over time. Especially if there were outbreaks.)

Will there be covid hotspots in the game (and if so, will it be historic hotspots or random?).  If there is a hotspot, will something happen if a candidate goes there during one? (potential bad news story?  potential risk of getting covid?)

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Defiant said:

I agree with Nevada.  I think Ohio was somewhat center-left for a while, while Florida and maybe Arizona would be center-right.  (Of course, some states shifted over time. Especially if there were outbreaks.)

Will there be covid hotspots in the game (and if so, will it be historic hotspots or random?).  If there is a hotspot, will something happen if a candidate goes there during one? (potential bad news story?  potential risk of getting covid?)

There might be events added at some point which talk about hot-spots. The Covid-19 campaigning dynamics for the last while (getting more back to normal campaigning now) are unprecedented and throw a wrench into the game re Barnstorming and Rallies.

Georgia should also be center right, given that they banned face mask mandates at local levels.

I might possibly put George W Bush as center (he put out a statement a few months ago stressing how this isn't a partisan issue, how we need to work together to get through this, and to listen to the medical professionals) (See https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/us/politics/george-w-bush-coronavirus-unity.html )

There should also be a “stimulus” issue surrounding the printing of money and stimulus checks used to sustain the economy during the pandemic. This issue should be very low profile until some events bump it up.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Defiant said:

Georgia should also be center right, given that they banned face mask mandates at local levels.

I might possibly put George W Bush as center (he put out a statement a few months ago stressing how this isn't a partisan issue, how we need to work together to get through this, and to listen to the medical professionals) (See https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/us/politics/george-w-bush-coronavirus-unity.html )

Ya, Georgia is Center-Right. I think I'm going to keep Florida Center, though.

37 minutes ago, Defiant said:

I might possibly put George W Bush as center (he put out a statement a few months ago stressing how this isn't a partisan issue, how we need to work together to get through this, and to listen to the medical professionals)

Thanks for this - updated W. Bush to Center.