Jump to content
270soft Forum

Where do the leaders stand on Covid-19 for the game?


Recommended Posts

Ok, where do the parties and leaders stand on Covid-19?

The issue positions are:

  • Far-Left: We must stay locked down until there is a vaccine for the Trump virus! Cede all decisions to health care experts. The lock-downs have exposed the Achille's Heel in capitalism! This is our opportunity to launch a glorious Socialist revolution!
  • Left: Lock-downs in hot spots are warranted to stop COVID-19. Limited opening as conditions improve. Federal mask mandate. Use opportunity to increase social spending.
  • Center-Left: Slowly open back up as conditions improve but listen to the science on the coronavirus. Coordinate with governors to achieve what is practically a national mask mandate.
  • Center: Let the states lead, but encourage distancing and continued lock-down measures as needed to defeat the coronavirus. Continue opening schools carefully.
  • Center-Right: Have to look at societal health, not just the coronavirus. Open up our country safely - lock-downs tend to hurt more than they help. Masks in certain situations. Open schools except in hot spots. Focus going forward on free market innovation for therapeutics and vaccines.
  • Right: Open up our country now and focus on health care innovation to treat the China virus. Masks don't do much and might make things worse. Economic health = health. Open all schools now. Sweden approached it the right way.
  • Far-Right: This is a bio-weapon by China, and we were tricked into lock-downs to destroy our economy! Masks are just a way to control us. Open everything up now!

The leaders and parties we have (I'll fill these in as we go) are

  • Republican: Center-Right
    • Trump: Right
    • Bill Weld: Center
    • Joe Walsh:
    • Mark Sanford:
    • John Kasich: Center
    • Larry Hogan: Center
    • Ben Sasse:
    • Jeff Flake:
    • Susan Collins: Center
    • Lisa Murkowski: Center
    • the "Mormon Senator who was a Governor" aka Mitt Romney:
    • Bob Corker:
    • Bill Kristol: Center
    • Lindsey Graham:
    • Rand Paul:
    • Ted Cruz:
    • Marco Rubio:
    • Susana Martinez:
    • Jon Huntsman: Center
    • Tom Cotton:
    • Mike Pence:
    • Dwayne Johnson: Center
    • Mark Cuban: Center
    • Carly Fiorina:
    • Jeb Bush:
    • George W. Bush: Center
    • Nikki Haley:
    • Dan Crenshaw:
  • Democratic: Center-Left
    • Biden:
    • Bernie:
    • Elizabeth Warren:
    • Pete Buttigieg:
    • Amy Klobuchar:
    • Tom Steyer:
    • Mini-Mike: Center
    • Andrew Yang:
    • Tulsi Gabbard:
    • John Delaney:
    • Michael Bennet:
    • Deval Patrick:
    • Marianne Williamson:
    • Cory Booker:
    • Julian Castro:
    • Kamala Harris:
    • Steve Bullock:
    • Joe Sestak:
    • Wayne Messam:
    • Beto O'Rourke:
    • Tim Ryan:
    • DeBlasio: Left
    • Gillibrand:
    • Jay Inslee: Left
    • Seth Moulton:
    • Hickenlooper:
    • Mike Gravel:
    • Eric Swalwell:
    • Richard Ojeda:
    • Terry McAuliffe:
    • Sherrod Brown:
    • Michael Avenatti:
    • Martin O'Malley:
    • Lincoln Chafee:
    • John Bel Edwards:
    • Eric Garcetti:
    • Martin Heinrich:
    • Howard Schultz:
    • Alan Grayson:
    • Hillary Clinton:
    • Al Franken:
    • Gavin Newsom: Left
    • Andrew Cuomo:
    • Mark Zuckerberg:
    • Joseph P. Kennedy III:
    • John Kerry:
    • Jeff Merkley:
    • Luis Guttierez:
    • Eric Holder:
    • Dwayne Johnson: Center
    • Stephen Colbert:
    • Jason Kander:
    • Barack Obama:
    • Bill Clinton:
    • Al Gore:
    • Mitch Landrieu:
    • Tim Kaine:
    • AOC: Left
    • Stacey Abrams:
    • Andrew Gillum:   
  • Libertarian: Center-Right
    • Jorgensen:
    • Lincoln Chafee:
    • Adam Kokesh:
    • John McAfee:
    • Arvin Vohra:
    • Vermin Supreme:
    • Austin Petersen:
    • Justin Amash:    
  • Green: Left
    • Ian Schlakman:
    • Jill Stein:
    • Ajamu Baraka:
    • Howie Hawkins:
    • Jesse 'the body' Ventura:    
  • Schultz: Center-Left
  • Ye: Center-Right
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ok, where do the parties and leaders stand on Covid-19?

The issue positions are:

  • Far-Left: We must stay locked down until there is a vaccine for the Trump virus! Cede all decisions to health care experts. The lock-downs have exposed the Achille's Heel in capitalism! This is our opportunity to launch a glorious Socialist revolution!
  • Left: Lock-downs in hot spots are warranted to stop COVID-19. Limited opening as conditions improve. Federal mask mandate. Use opportunity to increase social spending.
  • Center-Left: Slowly open back up as conditions improve but listen to the science on the coronavirus. Coordinate with governors to achieve what is practically a national mask mandate.
  • Center: Let the states lead, but encourage distancing and continued lock-down measures as needed to defeat the coronavirus. Continue opening schools carefully.
  • Center-Right: Have to look at societal health, not just the coronavirus. Open up our country safely - lock-downs tend to hurt more than they help. Masks in certain situations. Open schools except in hot spots. Focus going forward on free market innovation for therapeutics and vaccines.
  • Right: Open up our country now and focus on health care innovation to treat the China virus. Masks don't do much and might make things worse. Economic health = health. Open all schools now. Sweden approached it the right way.
  • Far-Right: This is a bio-weapon by China, and we were tricked into lock-downs to destroy our economy! Masks are just a way to control us. Open everything up now!

The leaders and parties we have (I'll fill these in as we go) are

  • Republican:
    • Trump:
    • Bill Weld:
    • Joe Walsh:
    • Mark Sanford:
    • John Kasich:
    • Larry Hogan:
    • Ben Sasse:
    • Jeff Flake:
    • Susan Collins:
    • Lisa Murkowski:
    • the "Mormon Senator who was a Governor" aka Mitt Romney:
    • Bob Corker:
    • Bill Kristol:
    • Lindsey Graham:
    • Rand Paul:
    • Ted Cruz:
    • Marco Rubio:
    • Susana Martinez:
    • Jon Huntsman:
    • Tom Cotton:
    • Mike Pence:
    • Dwayne Johnson:
    • Mark Cuban:
    • Carly Fiorina:
    • Jeb Bush:
    • George W. Bush:
    • Nikki Haley:
    • Dan Crenshaw:
  • Democratic:
    • Biden:
    • Bernie:
    • Elizabeth Warren:
    • Pete Buttigieg:
    • Amy Klobuchar:
    • Tom Steyer:
    • Mini-Mike:
    • Andrew Yang:
    • Tulsi Gabbard:
    • John Delaney:
    • Michael Bennet:
    • Deval Patrick:
    • Marianne Williamson:
    • Cory Booker:
    • Julian Castro:
    • Kamala Harris:
    • Steve Bullock:
    • Joe Sestak:
    • Wayne Messam:
    • Beto O'Rourke:
    • Tim Ryan:
    • DeBlasio:
    • Gillibrand:
    • Jay Inslee:
    • Seth Moulton:
    • Hickenlooper:
    • Mike Gravel:
    • Eric Swalwell:
    • Richard Ojeda:
    • Terry McAuliffe:
    • Sherrod Brown:
    • Michael Avenatti:
    • Martin O'Malley:
    • Lincoln Chafee:
    • John Bel Edwards:
    • Eric Garcetti:
    • Martin Heinrich:
    • Howard Schultz:
    • Alan Grayson:
    • Hillary Clinton:
    • Al Franken:
    • Gavin Newsom:
    • Andrew Cuomo:
    • Mark Zuckerberg:
    • Joseph P. Kennedy III:
    • John Kerry:
    • Jeff Merkley:
    • Luis Guttierez:
    • Eric Holder:
    • Dwayne Johnson:
    • Stephen Colbert:
    • Jason Kander:
    • Barack Obama:
    • Bill Clinton:
    • Al Gore:
    • Mitch Landrieu:
    • Tim Kaine:
    • AOC:
    • Stacey Abrams:
    • Andrew Gillum:    
  • Libertarian:
    • Jorgensen:
    • Lincoln Chafee:
    • Adam Kokesh:
    • John McAfee:
    • Arvin Vohra:
    • Vermin Supreme:
    • Austin Petersen:
    • Justin Amash:    
  • Green
    • Ian Schlakman:
    • Jill Stein:
    • Ajamu Baraka:
    • Howie Hawkins:
    • Jesse 'the body' Ventura:    
  • Schultz:

The issue with this issue is that it didn't become an issue until most of the people had dropped out of the race, so we don't have well-known public statements for many of these. Also, should Kanye West be on here? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump: Right, maybe Far-Right at one point but not anymore.

Weld: Center (No statements, but he's always been left of the GOP traditionally, and as a Libertarian probably favors state intervention over federal)

Jorgensen: Center-right "Covid-19 feels like house arrest", but she supports fighting it by cutting regulation in healthcare

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The issue with this issue is that it didn't become an issue until most of the people had dropped out of the race, so we don't have well-known public statements for many of these. Also, should Kanye West be on here? 

I know. Default for Dems will be center-left, I think.

Added Kanye - he's not in the game currently, but he'll probably be added.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Trump: Right, maybe Far-Right at one point but not anymore.

Ya, I think Trump might be Right. I would say somewhere between Center-Right and Right, becoming more Right in the last while. Anyone disagree?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Trump is Right and Biden Center-Left, that gives Biden an advantage on the issue. This makes intuitive sense - Trump wants to get the economy going, and is willing to take a position on Covid-19 that is further from the centre because of that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, I think Trump might be Right. I would say somewhere between Center-Right and Right, becoming more Right in the last while. Anyone disagree?

I'd say more Right than Center-Right simply because of the school thing. I haven't heard him ever say that hotspots should shut down schools. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Libertarian-leaning people - what would you say the default Libertarian view is on this?

Center or Center-Right, just for sake of this I'll say center-right. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

Center or Center-Right, just for sake of this I'll say center-right. 

I find that interesting - would think libertarians would be more concerned about government overreach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, put

  • Reps: Center-Right
  • Dems: Center-Left
  • Libs: Center-Right
  • Green: Left (mostly due to the social spending thing)

Welcome feedback on these. 

Also set Trump to Right.

What about Biden - Center-Left?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Anyone know if Kanye West has said anything about this?

Kanye got COVID and said, "‘We need to stop doing things that make God mad’

 

  • West also claimed — without evidence — that "so many" children who have been vaccinated are being "paralyzed." 

https://www.businessinsider.com/kanye-west-coronavirus-vaccine-conspiracies-2020-7

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/celebrity/article/3092700/kanye-west-wannabe-president-coronavirus-we-need-stop

 

 

.. I'd say Center-right possibly? 

If we can play as Kanye in the next update that'd be amazing lol 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wiw said:

This is still a terrible idea - who's going to have ANY opinion on it during the 2019 portion of the scenario? Seriously!

The issue starts at Low profile. 3 events bump it up by April to Very High.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

OK, put

  • Reps: Center-Right
  • Dems: Center-Left
  • Libs: Center-Right
  • Green: Left (mostly due to the social spending thing)

Welcome feedback on these. 

Also set Trump to Right.

What about Biden - Center-Left?

Biden as center left is fine.

Libs as CR is fine too.

Greens as left is fine too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, I think Trump might be Right. I would say somewhere between Center-Right and Right, becoming more Right in the last while. Anyone disagree?

Right

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, at least on the Democratic side, with the possible exception of governors (who have to implement policy), I think they're mostly letting Biden lead.

Trump is Right with some smattering of Center-Right and Far-Right on occasion.

Also, I'm not sure the scale of far-left to far-right is right, unless you're just using it as a stand-in for some scale.  Because there were certainly plenty of far-left activists in the streets protesting.  My impression was that most (but not all) were wearing masks, but they certainly didn't seem pro-lockdown, at least by that point.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

The issue starts at Low profile. 3 events bump it up by April to Very High.

Wouldn't that allow the player to modify their position (to whatever they want) while it's not very important and thus not have to face as much political heat for making such changes during the campaign?  Or can you lock it before the pandemic starts, so the player can't change their position on an event that hasn't happened yet, and have to wait for the event before they can change it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...