270soft Forum

Coalition negotiations

Whenever I wind up with a hung parliament, coalition negotiations are always completely hopeless. The "chance of acceptance" of any of my offers to other party leaders always starts off at -100%, even when the parties concerned would have strong incentive to cooperate in real life. I'm not totally sure what factors that chance of acceptance is based upon, but I suspect the relations between the parties is the main one (I usually run negative campaigns!). I would like to suggest making that less of a decisive factor. In real life, parties like the NDP and the Liberals in Canada will be open to a confidence and supply agreement if it keeps the Tories out, regardless of how much Trudeau and Singh may hate each other. Maybe you could make the relevant parties' ideological complexion (such as the % of distance between party platforms) an equally important factor. Also, maybe the parliamentary math could factor in; an offer from Party A to Party B is more likely to be accepted if Party A is 12 seats short a majority and Party B won 15 seats, then if Party B only has 3. 

• Upvote 1

One more thing, to promote realism: maybe in addition to command points, you could make cabinet seats an option for the largest party to offer. Like, maybe if you win the election, you have three or four cabinet seats available to hand out to smaller parties that are each worth x command points, and they're worth points for the final score of whichever party has them at the end of the game (like if you're the Lib Dems in PM4E, you get a 20 point boost to your final score if you get Cameron to give you one; or if you're Cameron, you get 60 extra points if you get Clegg to agree to a coalition without giving any cabinet posts). 

• Like 1

I agree that the coalition negotiations could use an upgrade. The other thing is that the computer-controlled parties never seem to negotiate with each other, or if they do, the negotiations must almost always fail. I can recall maybe one time that two computer-controlled parties formed a coalition.