270soft Forum

State of the Race: 21 Days Left

vcczar

21 Day Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

2. 2. Is there anything about Justice Barrett personally that you think should disqualify her from being on the Supreme Court?

3. 3. Do you agree with Democratic efforts to stop Justice Barrett's nomination because of the Merrick Garland situation?

4. 4. Should US Senators have regular Covid tests and the results released?

5. 5. Should the SC Confirmation Hearings and Vote be delayed if members of the Senate have Covid, especially judiciary members?

@admin_270 I'm afraid I'm going to decline your invitation to your latest irresolvable quagmire debate you are so famous for. Self-declared labels, even if believed by a number of numbers, that significant evidence shows otherwise, should not be stated as objective fact, or used as such in debates. Unless you are willing to accept, at face value, as I label myself the Humble and Infallible Font of All Wisdom and Goodness on the TheorySpark Forum, by your own stated logic of honouring fully self-proclaimed labels.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Imagine an honourable and honest politician, anywhere in the world, actually, not just the U.S., who actually laid down all of their plans and the full and complete tenor they planned to serve under, in their election campaign, and then completely fulfilled, with no extra, hidden, and, usually, quite negative, "surprises," and "add-ons," in policy, agendas, and attitude of governance once in government. What an incredible special snowflake and true, awe-inspiring spectacle of integrity that would be - a new Wonder of the World.

President James K Polk is generally considered to have done this, by historians -- including his pledge to do it all within a single term and then not run for a second term.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Does Bernie not count?

Has he "completely fulfilled" his stated goals?  I ask sincerely, not being overly familiar with what he campaigned on for his Senate terms.  I'll agree that any failures likely haven't been caused by a lack of effort -- but if he said he was going to do something and didn't get it done, then "completely fulfilled" box is left unchecked.

32 minutes ago, Patine said:

Self-declared labels, even if believed by a number of numbers, that significant evidence shows otherwise, should not be stated as objective fact, or used as such in debates.

Fair to take issue with definitions of terms. I'm just saying that's how the term 'originalist' is usually used - to describe the approach of people like Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.

36 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Fair to take issue with definitions of terms. I'm just saying that's how the term 'originalist' is usually used - to describe the approach of people like Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.

It's used that way to give a deceptive and disingenuous message for political and rhetorical maneuvering and gain. Thus, to use these labels as though they were objective fact enough to say Trump nominating judges for the Supreme Court who label themselves such outright disproves @Wiwstatement of Trump's shows of contempt and disdain for the limits on his office and power set by the U.S. Supreme Court really holds no water, in and of itself.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Bernie is the worst politician I've seen since I've followed politics.

So, basically, all of your favourite U.S. politicians are ones who don't give a damn about the people of the nation, but serving the rich and big corporations, instead.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, basically, all of your favourite U.S. politicians are ones who don't give a damn about the people of the nation, but serving the rich and big corporations, instead.

There's no such thing as a good politician.

Also I love how my computer is so American it says words like "colour", "armour", and "favourite" are misspelled. 

mispelling.png.06d94163f77784a6aeba570b41e3633d.png

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Also I love how my computer is so American it says words like "colour", "armour", and "favourite" are misspelled. 

It didn't used to do that. It's annoying that suddenly the dumbed down Webster spellings are viewed as "correct," and not the eloquent Oxford spellings. :S

5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

And, to answer your first sentence, there are no good politicians, but politicians have differing priorities from each other.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, because @admin_270 has trying to lead me on an unproductive segue. It's one of his many clever and manipulative tactics to turn any sort of debate into a quagmire, as I mentioned above.

Posting sources isn't unproductive. It's actually very productive and helpful and showing how you came to conclusions. Coming up with excuses to not post sources or information is unproductive but okay. I guess the news of Mike Pence's governor policies making it to Canada is underwhelming and perhaps not all you had said it was. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SilentLiberty said:

Posting sources isn't unproductive. It's actually very productive and helpful and showing how you came to conclusions. Coming up with excuses to not post sources or information is unproductive but okay. I guess the news of Mike Pence's governor policies making it to Canada is underwhelming and perhaps not all you had said it was. 

The topic he demanded sources for was the segue, you see. It was a sidetrack from the main issue, and he wanted to get me bogged down in it.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The topic he demanded sources for was the segue, you see. It was a sidetrack from the main issue, and he wanted to get me bogged down in it.

I'm not talking about what he wanted. I'm talking about what I had asked for that you ignored. Now are claiming it was just @admin_270 asking for sources? You had said Mike Pence and his policies had made news even in Canada. I, living only a few states away from Mike Pence had never heard of him until he was tapped to be Trump's VP. So I asked, for myself, about Canadian articles about Governor Pence. 

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's one of his many clever and manipulative tactics to turn any sort of debate into a quagmire

Asking for a source for a claim = manipulative tactic to turn debate into a quagmire? No, it's what I found interesting about your comment, and am looking to see if it's true.

Please note the above quote is a borderline personal attack. Please be careful to avoid personal attacks.

5 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'm not talking about what he wanted. I'm talking about what I had asked for that you ignored. Now are claiming it was just @admin_270 asking for sources? You had said Mike Pence and his policies had made news even in Canada. I, living only a few states away from Mike Pence had never heard of him until he was tapped to be Trump's VP. So I asked, for myself, about Canadian articles about Governor Pence. 

Well, I asked you four days to quit inappropriate humour on the forums, and we all know how responsive you were.