Jump to content
270soft Forum

State of the Race: 21 Days Left


21 Day Poll  

26 members have voted

  1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

  2. 2. Is there anything about Justice Barrett personally that you think should disqualify her from being on the Supreme Court?

  3. 3. Do you agree with Democratic efforts to stop Justice Barrett's nomination because of the Merrick Garland situation?

  4. 4. Should US Senators have regular Covid tests and the results released?

  5. 5. Should the SC Confirmation Hearings and Vote be delayed if members of the Senate have Covid, especially judiciary members?



Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I am asking myself what this awkward ''I will reveal my position on court packing soon'' stance from Biden is supposed to mean. That sounds like an empty bag waiting to be filled with positions. One should think a real candidate has already a position months into his campaign. I am sorry if having a clear stance on matters of great importance is already too much to expect in todays politics.

Imagine an honourable and honest politician, anywhere in the world, actually, not just the U.S., who actually laid down all of their plans and the full and complete tenor they planned to serve under, in their election campaign, and then completely fulfilled, with no extra, hidden, and, usually, quite negative, "surprises," and "add-ons," in policy, agendas, and attitude of governance once in government. What an incredible special snowflake and true, awe-inspiring spectacle of integrity that would be - a new Wonder of the World.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we just chill? Like I just want to do RP, see funny memes, and talk about how to make PI better.

My gosh, I'm in class and I'm missing a lot. Anywho, sending everyone good vibes!

You have 4 days to cool off. Peace, bro.

Posted Images

Just now, admin_270 said:

Both Gorsuch and Coney Barrett both say they are originalists. They are widely considered to be so.

False political claims, and people being led to believe them, are common in politics every through history all the time. I just said, above, why Modern American Social Conservative judges lack the Originalist quality. It doesn't matter what they say. A lot of people say they have positions they do not, and people even believe them. Pence says he's a good Christian. Bush said he only wanted peace (at least once, he said that). Obama said he was going to move away from Bush's legacy. Bush, Sr., said there'd be no more taxes (read his lips). Trump has said he stood for a bunch of things that proved to be a pack of lies. Vladimir Zhirinovsky says he's a "Liberal Democrat," (judging by his party name in Russia). These labels are worthless on their own, especially if all real evidence says otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Has Pence actually ever said that?

He has said a lot of his policies as Governor of Indiana were guided by his, "strong Christian convictions." Such as the laws giving public allowance and liberty (and unofficial encouragement) to act in a hateful and judgmental way of their consumers' private lives to deny service and be SPECIFICALLY protected from all civil torts, and saying what a victory for religious freedom for Christians that was. Of course, it was utterly and completely anathema and antithesis to Christ's Ministry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

He has said a lot of his policies as Governor of Indiana were guided by his, "strong Christian convictions." Such as the laws giving public allowance and liberty (and unofficial encouragement) to act in a hateful and judgmental way of their consumers' private lives to deny service and be SPECIFICALLY protected from all civil torts, and saying what a victory for religious freedom for Christians that was. Of course, it was utterly and completely anathema and antithesis to Christ's Ministry.

Difficult to parse this - can you be more specific? And can you link to a specific quote?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Patine said:

Imagine an honourable and honest politician, anywhere in the world, actually, not just the U.S., who actually laid down all of their plans and the full and complete tenor they planned to serve under, in their election campaign, and then completely fulfilled, with no extra, hidden, and, usually, quite negative, "surprises," and "add-ons," in policy, agendas, and attitude of governance once in government. What an incredible special snowflake and true, awe-inspiring spectacle of integrity that would be - a new Wonder of the World.

Does Bernie not count?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Difficult to parse this - can you be more specific? And can you link to a specific quote?

I don't tend to keep tabs on Pence quotes - he doesn't have a lot of interestingly-worded ones - and his policies as Governor of Indiana were 4 years ago (and the particular ones I refer to even a few more). Also, I believe you are aware of the Indiana laws I'm referring to - they made big news, notably in Canada, as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Does Bernie not count?

We'd have to see him get elected to a position of more singular responsibility than a member of a legislative body. And his platform as Mayor of Burlington, was it, was very different in nature and much more extreme than his 2016 and 2020 Presidential bids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't tend to keep tabs on Pence quotes - he doesn't have a lot of interestingly-worded ones - and his policies as Governor of Indiana were 4 years ago (and the particular ones I refer to even a few more). Also, I believe you are aware of the Indiana laws I'm referring to - they made big news, notably in Canada, as well.

I had never heard of Pence until he was selected at Trump's veep and I'm a couple states over. You could easily search the quotes that back up the policies you're referring to. Maybe even link a Canadian article. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't tend to keep tabs on Pence quotes - he doesn't have a lot of interestingly-worded ones - and his policies as Governor of Indiana were 4 years ago (and the particular ones I refer to even a few more). Also, I believe you are aware of the Indiana laws I'm referring to - they made big news, notably in Canada, as well.

Not really. What specifically are you referring to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, admin_270 said:

Not really. What specifically are you referring to?

Off the top of my head I remember him saying "I'm a Christian, conservative, and Republican in that order." on TV once and again at a rally I went to back in 2016 (I got to shake his hand).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Off the top of my head I remember him saying "I'm a Christian, conservative, and Republican in that order." on TV once and again at a rally I went to back in 2016 (I got to shake his hand).

You need a ritual of purification on that hand, @ThePotatoWalrus. A Servant of the Antichrist has touched it. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

@admin_270 I'm afraid I'm going to decline your invitation to your latest irresolvable quagmire debate you are so famous for. Self-declared labels, even if believed by a number of numbers, that significant evidence shows otherwise, should not be stated as objective fact, or used as such in debates. Unless you are willing to accept, at face value, as I label myself the Humble and Infallible Font of All Wisdom and Goodness on the TheorySpark Forum, by your own stated logic of honouring fully self-proclaimed labels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Imagine an honourable and honest politician, anywhere in the world, actually, not just the U.S., who actually laid down all of their plans and the full and complete tenor they planned to serve under, in their election campaign, and then completely fulfilled, with no extra, hidden, and, usually, quite negative, "surprises," and "add-ons," in policy, agendas, and attitude of governance once in government. What an incredible special snowflake and true, awe-inspiring spectacle of integrity that would be - a new Wonder of the World.

President James K Polk is generally considered to have done this, by historians -- including his pledge to do it all within a single term and then not run for a second term.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Does Bernie not count?

Has he "completely fulfilled" his stated goals?  I ask sincerely, not being overly familiar with what he campaigned on for his Senate terms.  I'll agree that any failures likely haven't been caused by a lack of effort -- but if he said he was going to do something and didn't get it done, then "completely fulfilled" box is left unchecked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Off the top of my head I remember him saying "I'm a Christian, conservative, and Republican in that order." on TV once and again at a rally I went to back in 2016 (I got to shake his hand).

Ya, a bit different from "I'm a good Christian."

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Patine said:

Self-declared labels, even if believed by a number of numbers, that significant evidence shows otherwise, should not be stated as objective fact, or used as such in debates.

Fair to take issue with definitions of terms. I'm just saying that's how the term 'originalist' is usually used - to describe the approach of people like Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Fair to take issue with definitions of terms. I'm just saying that's how the term 'originalist' is usually used - to describe the approach of people like Gorsuch and Coney Barrett.

It's used that way to give a deceptive and disingenuous message for political and rhetorical maneuvering and gain. Thus, to use these labels as though they were objective fact enough to say Trump nominating judges for the Supreme Court who label themselves such outright disproves @Wiwstatement of Trump's shows of contempt and disdain for the limits on his office and power set by the U.S. Supreme Court really holds no water, in and of itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Bernie is the worst politician I've seen since I've followed politics.

So, basically, all of your favourite U.S. politicians are ones who don't give a damn about the people of the nation, but serving the rich and big corporations, instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, basically, all of your favourite U.S. politicians are ones who don't give a damn about the people of the nation, but serving the rich and big corporations, instead.

There's no such thing as a good politician.

Also I love how my computer is so American it says words like "colour", "armour", and "favourite" are misspelled. 

mispelling.png.06d94163f77784a6aeba570b41e3633d.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

There's no such thing as a good politician.

Also I love how my computer is so American it says words like "colour", "armour", and "favourite" are misspelled. 

mispelling.png.06d94163f77784a6aeba570b41e3633d.png

It didn't used to do that. It's annoying that suddenly the dumbed down Webster spellings are viewed as "correct," and not the eloquent Oxford spellings. :S

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...