270soft Forum

USA 1936 Kaiserriech RP: Second Time’s the Charm!

After a month of preparing, I believe it is time to launch the Kaiserriech RP up again. Once we have enough people on board we can begin.

Lore: Kaiserriech is an alt-history where Germany wins World War 1. This election sees the establishment face off against radicals in a United States gripped by poverty. FDR is dead, and the country is divided. The current president is the most hated man in America. All of this is building tension in the United States, and an election is one year away.

Rules: Each turn (marked by a post) will be one week. Every week you can take 3 actions. You can also specify the risk of these actions. High risk means high reward. Low risk means low reward. There is low, medium, and high. Risk is medium by default. Also, you may be given events you must respond to. Your response will shape your party, and the nation. Failure to respond will lead to very bad things happening (nobody likes a lame duck). The actions are as follows:

Rally (Boosts support in a specific state)

Influence (Boosts support from a faction within your party)

Sway (Convert public officials to your side)

Establishment Parties have unique actions they can take:

Suppress (Greatly Reduces radical party support/turnout in a state)

Gerrymander (Greatly Increases establishment support/turnout in a state)

Radical Parties also have unique actions they can take:

Intimidate: (Greatly Decreases support for establishment parties in a state)

Strike: (Greatly Increases radical support in a state)

Unique actions should be used sparingly, because they cause very bad things when used too much.

Your support measures how popular you are with a group. High support boosts turnout. Low support does the opposite. Support goes from -100 to 100.

Stability measures how close the country is to civil war. If it hits 0 the USA will almost certainly collapse. Lowering stability helps radical parties get more votes, while raising stability helps the establishment get more votes. Stability starts at 100 and cannot go any higher. The following will lower stability:

Unique actions

Rolling a 1

Special Events (sometimes)

Failing to respond to a special event

Rolling badly on a special event response

Stability can also be raised however. The following will raise stability:

Bipartisan action

Rolling a 10

Rolling well on a special event response

Certain actions or special events

If you want to do something unique, PM me. I’m all for creativity. 

Once we have enough people, I will get into the starting scenario and we can begin. The openings are as follows:

Democrats (The stronger of the two establishment candidates. They control the midwest and DC area. They can also compete for the west coast and border states in the south. However, they will have to balance the southern and northern wings of the party. What direction will the party take going forward?)

Republicans (Although they are politically dead outside New England, this party still has much influence in Congress. With the right leader, perhaps they can stage a comeback on the national scene?)

Syndicalists (This party dominates the Midwest and parts of the northeast. They have some of the biggest population centers in the country, but aren’t politically homogenous by any means. It will take a strong leader to bring the many different syndicalist factions together. Will that leader rise to the challenge? Or will the syndicalists fall to infighting?)

Longists (Despite being only 2 years old, this party is rising quickly in the Deep South. The personality cult of Huey Long leads to total unity and massive grassroots support, but the young party has little to no power in congress. Worse still, the Dixiecrats maintain dominion over many southern population centers. Will Huey Long work with the Dixiecrats to unite the south? Or will he share the wealth to white and black folks alike?

Current President (The current President is so hated his own party has blocked him from their convention. Still, he has the power to push through legislation. What will his final year be like?) (This role doesn't get to rally or influence etc, but you get way more special events) (You can technically run for a third term as a third party, but don’t expect to win lol)

(Multiple players can be on a team, but they must share the events between each other.)

As before, time to play out the final months of the Herbert Hoover Presidency(Current President). I won't run for a third term.

36 minutes ago, The Blood said:

As before, time to play out the final months of the Herbert Hoover Presidency(Current President). I won't run for a third term.

Smart choice. I have a feeling your last year will be very eventful :)

I'll take the Democrats please.

We have everyone we need to begin. Later today I’ll post the lore and starting scenario and we can start.

(if you want to coop a party ask the current leader. I’ll allow it if you both agree to share your events.)

RP Mechanics and Characters

Team Syndicalist:

Jack Reed: Mainstream Syndicalist Leader

Norman Thomas: Moderate Syndicalist Leader

Max Schachtman: Unionist Syndicalist Leader

Paul Mattick: Orthodox Syndicalist Leader

William Foster: Totalist Syndicalist Leader (Rivalry with Earl Browder)

Earl Browder: Anarcho-Syndicalist Leader (Rivalry with William Foster)

Syndicalist Factions:

Mainstream Syndicalist: 35% (Default Faction)

Democratic Syndicalist: 30% (Less grassroots support, but appeals to moderates more.)

Unionist Syndicalist: 12.5% (Strong labour support, and can align with foreign unionist governments)

Orthodox Syndicalist: 12.5% (High enthusiasm with syndicalists, but appeals less to moderates.)

Totalist Syndicalist: 5% (Has fanatic followers, but very minimal moderate appeal. Will never cooperate with anarcho-syndicalist.)

Anarcho-Syndicalist: 5% (Has fanatic followers, but very minimal moderate appeal. Will never cooperate with Totalist Syndicalist.)

The Syndicalist International will be held very soon to select the leader of the Syndicalists of America. Who will you promote to the top?

Team Longist:

Huey Long: Mainstream Longist Leader 

Gerald Smith: Mainstream Longist Leader (Replacement if Huey Long dies)

Charles Coughlin: Southern Longist Leader (by southern I mean racist)

William Dudley Pelley: Militarist Longist Leader

Charles Lindbergh: Moderate Longist Leader

Longist Factions:

Mainstream Longist: 50%

Moderate Longist: 20%

Southern Longist: 20%

Militarist Longist: 10%

Huey Long’s Party is a personality cult, so he can never be forced out of power. A succession will require Long to die. Long’s factions, however, can impact how outsiders and moderates view the party. 

Republican Party:

Herbert Hoover: Mainstream Republican Leader

Hiram Johnson: Market Capitalist Leader (Strong in west coast)

Percival Baxter: Non-interventionist Leader (Strong in New England)

Thomas Dewey: Social Liberal Leader (Strong in New York)

Alf Landon: Social Conservative Leader (Moderately popular everywhere)

Douglas MacArthur: Paternal Autocrat Leader (Leads the military)

Republican Factions:

Mainstream Republican: 10% (People generally hate Hoover)

Market Capitalists: 20%

Non-interventionists: 20%

Social Liberals: 20%

Social Conservatives: 25% (Landon is the least controversial choice, but isn’t well loved anywhere.)

Paternal Autocrats: 5% (Can’t become leaders through free elections…)

The republicans need to select a nominee for the upcoming election. Will they prioritize general popularity to maintain party unity? Or will they put their faith in a regionally popular candidate? The army will help keep order, but be wary of granting them too much power.

Democratic Party: (FDR is dead in this timeline)

John Nance Garner: Mainstream Democrat Leader (Widely Popular in congress, but moderate appeal elsewhere.)

Floyd Olson: Social Democrat Leader (Will swing syndicalist border states, but enrage the south).

Strom Thurmond: Dixiecrat Leader (Will bring back southern states, but enrage the syndicalists and liberals.)

Adlai Stevenson: Social Liberal Leader

Harry Truman: Social Conservative Leader

Dwight Eisenhower: Paternal Autocrats (Same as Douglas MacArthur)

Democratic Factions:

Mainstream Democrats: 40%

Social Democrats: 25%

Dixiecrats: 25%

Social Liberals: 5%

Social Conservatives: 5%

Paternal Autocrats: 0% (MacArthur runs the military for now, unless he is dismissed or dies)

The democrats need to balance liberal and conservative factions within an increasingly divided party. Will they choose a side? Or will they continue balancing on an increasingly narrow tightrope? 

Nationwide Polling:

Republicans: 10%

Democrats: 30%

Syndicalist: 30%

Longist: 30%

Congress: (435 total)

Republicans: 128 seats

Democrats: 163 Seats

Syndicalist: 122 Seats

Longist:  22 Seats

Senate: (100 total)

Republicans: 32 Seats

Democrats: 38 Seats

Syndicalist: 27 Seats

Longist: 3 Seats

The Longist party is only 2 years old, so they have a huge disadvantage in the legislature. However, many Dixiecrats could defect to Long if he made some “controversial” changes to his platform.

The Establishment currently hold narrow 2/3rds majorities in the legislature, for now. Any major reforms need to be passed ASAP, before filibusters become usable by the new parties again.

Notes: The higher your support in a group, the more that group drives turnout in specific areas. Moderates have medium support, while radicals have very high or very low support. Support goes from -100 to 100, and can be increased with actions or events. Support will be determined once each party has selected a leader.

Stability will begin at 100, and decline with events and actions. The lower it gets, the more radicals are boosted and establishments are weakened. At 0 stability very bad things will happen.

• Like 1

Do you want us to pick party leaders now? If so I'll go with Adlai Stevenson.

@buenoboss@Hestia11@Mark_W@The Blood@WVProgressiveYes, we are in the nomination phase for each party. Every turn you can promote a candidate for one of your actions. Also, you can promote a candidate from another party to sabotage your opponents. After 10 weeks the candidate with the most votes is nominated. Careful, if someone too radical or unpopular wins, you may have some convention walkouts!

37 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

@Zenobiyl, If you've been waiting on me, I'm sorry, and for the first turn we will support the Norman Thomas led DemSocs.

Don’t worry about it. I’m putting the RP on hold since 1968 resumed.