270soft Forum

Kidnap Attempt of Gov. Whitmer Thwarted

This was more serious than I once thought

"This is not a group of, you know, poor hapless nobodies that couldn't pull off a violent act on their own," McCabe told CNN on Thursday. "This is clearly a group of people that were very focused on accomplishing this violent objective. So it's got really all of the earmarks of a very serious plot and I think we're lucky that the FBI was in the place they were to do the work they did today."

The complaint alleges that the group conducted surveillance on the governor's vacation home and detonated a practice explosive – something McCabe said makes the plot "very serious" and "dangerous."

6 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1242622

This kind of thing is why politics needs to be toned down. Luckily it seems like they were never in a place where they had a serious chance of actually succeeding in the plan.

Sounds akin to the kidnapping of a female Presidential candidate in Colombia a number of years back. Very scary and disturbing stuff.

• Like 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/08/trump-slams-gretchen-whitmer-not-saying-thank-you-she-did/5932028002/

Why could President Trump just not say that he's glad that Gov. Whitmer is safe and that he will defend her? He starts with that, but then attacks her immediately after. It's clear that when he sent the tweet, "LIBERATE MICHIGAN", that this plot was either in motion or just beginning. This is disgusting - and pointing out that his Department of Justice helped (when they didn't - it was entirely the FBI and Michigan authorities) was incorrect. Bill Barr also testified in July that he wasn't aware of any plots against Whitmer, when the FBI was already conducting their investigation. If this were Antifa threatening to kidnap a Republican governor, I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would be up in arms. Why was Trump's response largely an attack on her rather than on the terrorists? 

Whitmer "has done a terrible job. She locked down her state for everyone, except her husband’s boating activities. The Federal Government provided tremendous help to the Great People of Michigan," Trump tweeted.

Trump said Thursday on Twitter that he does "not tolerate ANY extreme violence. Defending ALL Americans, even those who oppose and attack me, is what I will always do as your President! Governor Whitmer—open up your state, open up your schools, and open up your churches!"

Re topic: Completely insane!

Re Whitmer: Despite being somewhat sympathetic towards Governor Whitmer at the start of her term, she lost most of her credibility for me. She seems to carry out her duties very weakly and is certainly totally overwhelmed with her work as governor. Even the Michigan Supreme Court ruled against Whitmer's motions tackling the pandemic and her husband's silly boating activities didn't comply with the measures either... I cannot understand how someone could back her re-election. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Whitmer "has done a terrible job. She locked down her state for everyone, except her husband’s boating activities.

Well, it's true. If Governors DeSantis or Kemp had went to such a boat trip, the media would have exploded. That's a trend I cannot stand. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Well, it's true. If Governors DeSantis or Kemp had went to such a boat trip, the media would have exploded. That's a trend I cannot stand. 

Which trend are you speaking of? I'm not clear on your point.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Which trend are you speaking of? I'm not clear on your point.

That failures committed by people right of the center matter a 1000x more than those committed by left-wingers.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That failures committed by people right of the center matter a 1000x more than those committed by left-wingers.

Ah, so filthy and shameless hard and stereotyped, even close to absolutist, partisan trash infecting absolutely everything. I was afraid it such, and am quite disappointed. But you're not alone - this toxic and cancerous thoughtless partisan divide and bloc thinking and taken ahold of so many people, and utterly destroys their integrity and individuality when speaking on such matters. It's one of the greatest threats and problems - a slow, festering, mortal wound - in American - and growingly other nation's - socio-political frameworks that really needs to be addressed and dealt with constructively. But that's impossible, because the same vicious socio-political divide makes any constructive resolution impossible. It's just unfortunate to see you, like a fair number of others here, and tonnes of people elsewhere, and shamelessly willing contributor and exacerbator of the problem, and feeling nothing is wrong with such an attitude, and in fact, it's somehow justified and will somehow bear positive fruit. But, as I said, you're not remotely alone in this horrid sin, which is, in and of itself, also an immense problem. Perhaps consider this, and not just dismiss it off-hand.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Edit: My Mistake! Sorry @Conservative Elector 2!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Any reaction to...you know...the death threat and kidnapping plot? No? Only matters if its Trump? Cause Republicans were exploding when they saw people wanting Trump dead on Twitter and they can't give the same courtesy I offered? No condemnation?

Hard, unbending, pervasive partisanship everywhere, as I scolded him about just above on, is not only killing American civility, progress, and society - it's killing the very sense of American humanity. @Conservative Elector 2's post very clearly and glaringly displays this. The whole U.S. mourned for Kennedy in 1963 - such a thing would not happen today... :(

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Any reaction to...you know...the death threat and kidnapping plot? No? Only matters if its Trump? Cause Republicans were exploding when they saw people wanting Trump dead on Twitter and they can't give the same courtesy I offered? No condemnation?

Didn't you read my very first post? I said the whole plot was completely insane. 

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Didn't you read my very first post? I said the whole plot was completely insane. 

Ah. My mistake. Ill edit my post to reflect it.

I just think any policy disagreements with Whitmer should be completely separate from any talk about the kidnapping plot. Its disrespectful.

Just now, Hestia11 said:

Ah. My mistake. Ill edit my post to reflect it.

I just think any policy disagreements with Whitmer should be completely separate from any talk about the kidnapping plot. Its disrespectful.

No problem at all. I agree on that therefore I made two parts in my post.

Another problem I felt the need to mention is when I first read about the kidnapping plot, I thought such an outrageous thing fits the dangerous pattern Michigan is going since months. I mean in April or so people stormed the capitol of the state. I heard no such thing from any other state despite many unlikeable or bad governors. Whitmer clearly has lost control over the affairs in her state and that's not funny anymore. 

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

No problem at all. I agree on that therefore I made two parts in my post.

Another problem I felt the need to mention is when I first read about the kidnapping plot, I thought such an outrageous thing fits the dangerous pattern Michigan is going since months. I mean in April or so people stormed the capitol of the state. I heard no such thing from any other state despite many unlikeable or bad governors. Whitmer clearly has lost control over the affairs in her state and that's not funny anymore. 

Agreed but I'm not sure its Whitmers fault. Michigan is having some problems with militias. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Patine said:

The whole U.S. mourned for Kennedy in 1963 - such a thing would not happen today... :(

Yeah, we saw that with Trump very clearly, but I still think those people are a fringe group in the end. Most people are civilized enough to not dance when Trump or Obama would contract the virus (again in Trump's case). I have demonstrated as a person of faith to mourn any life taken. Maybe you noticed that when Justice Ginsburg died. 

4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Agreed but I'm not sure its Whitmers fault. Michigan is having some problems with militias. 

Perhaps that's true but if it's the case someone must investigate why Michigan is that much affected and when that started. Did Governors Synder and Granholm face similar difficulties? Especially Granholm's term would be interesting in this regard. I am completely uneducated on militias and did some research today morning. What I got is it seems to have started in the 90s in Montana. I didn't read on Michigan though. These movements also declined already by the turn of the century only to pop up again after the financial crisis and Obama's election win. It's weird.

50 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, as I said, you're not remotely alone in this horrid sin, which is, in and of itself, also an immense problem. Perhaps consider this, and not just dismiss it off-hand.

I am totally in favor of criticizing people when they have deserved it. However, the only thing I am stating is, that I think it's unfair to criticize one side all the time but merely not the other. Most media which is regarded high quality media is left-wing biased. That's a fact. The right-wing media on the other hand is mostly complete bullshit filled up with conspiracy theories and lies which take any credibility from it. That's sad and if conservatives want to stay a viable force they need a good media outlet as well. One that doesn't spread fake conspiracies. What I would desire for would be a moderate news outlet picking up stories about misbehaviors and good deeds by all people involved in the political process. Treat them fair and equal to the same amount. That's all I would want. Tell the people when Republicans committed stupid things, but also tell them about Democrat's failures. 

5 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I am totally in favor of criticizing people when they have deserved it. However, the only thing I am stating is, that I think it's unfair to criticize one side all the time but merely not the other. Most media which is regarded high quality media is left-wing biased. That's a fact. The right-wing media on the other hand is mostly complete bullshit filled up with conspiracy theories and lies which take any credibility from it. That's sad and if conservatives want to stay a viable force they need a good media outlet as well. One that doesn't spread fake conspiracies. What I would desire for would be a moderate news outlet picking up stories about misbehaviors and good deeds by all people involved in the political process. Treat them fair and equal to the same amount. That's all I would want. Tell the people when Republicans committed stupid things, but also tell them about Democrat's failures. 

This is directed as a retort at me? Have you been following my posts in general? Do you honestly think, from an the tenor of my posts here, that I am a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party of the United States and never criticize them but only the Republican Party of the United States (as opposed to, say, oh, excoriating both of them and saying the Duopoly and the rigged electoral system that makes them unchallengeable, and the bribery and graft from corporate plutocratic oligarchs should all go and a healthy multi-party with real choice and more accountability and transparency in it's place - which is my usual position - and far more praising certain specific non-American political parties, like the New Democratic Party of Canada, whom I can actually vote for and whose policies directly affect me, and thus real enthusiasm is possible)? I think, for some reason, you may have mistaken me for somebody else.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is directed as a retort at me? Have you been following my posts in general? Do you honestly think, from an the tenor of my posts here, that I am a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party of the United States and never criticize them but only the Republican Party of the United States

No, that wasn't towards you. It's about the media and to clarify what I said in my post you were initially referring to (That failures committed by people right of the center matter a 1000x more than those committed by left-wingers.).

I know you are no supporter of the Democrats and you can't vote for them, although I have to acknowledge you debate me far more than most others here. That may be because others might agree with you 90% of the time. I also believe the NDP is closer to the Democrats than to the Republicans therefore I find it strange sometimes, that you can't simply say if we speak about these two parties that Democrats may fit your own ideology better at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

No, that wasn't towards you. It's about the media and to clarify what I said in my post you were initially referring to (That failures committed by people right of the center matter a 1000x more than those committed by left-wingers.).

I know you are no supporter of the Democrats and you can't vote for them, although I have to acknowledge you debate me far more than most others here. That may be because others might agree with you 90% of the time. I also believe the NDP is closer to the Democrats than to the Republicans therefore I find it strange sometimes, that you can't simply say if we speak about these two parties that Democrats may fit your own ideology better at the end of the day.

Frankly, American news media as a whole, from The Daily Beast to Breitbart News (from far-left to far-right) is all garbage, entirely and totally, and has no credibility or legitimacy anymore. It's all just a bunch of fire-spitting propaganda and partisan spin engines with only a fraction (that you have to weed out yourself through cross-examining other sources and common sense) can be even close to trusted. The validity of any American news media died when Walter Cronkite retired. I usually get my news from the CBC, the BBC, Reuters, Global News, and my local paper, the Edmonton Journal, owned by Southam News.

1 minute ago, CPE said:

This whole story glows brighter than Chernobyl.

The media was spinning these guys to be far-right militiamen, but it actually turns out that they are anarchists.

One of them was an anarchist. There were more of them than just one person. I'm surprised you didnt see that. Most were angry with the lockdown, and its hard to claim because one was that means everybody was. 

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

One of them was an anarchist. There were more of them than just one person. I'm surprised you didnt see that. Most were angry with the lockdown, and its hard to claim because one was that means everybody was. 

Birds of a feather flock together, anarchists and fascists sure do not fight along side each other.  This whole story stinks to be quite honest: the timing, the element of entrapment, it all reeks of being a big set up.