270soft Forum

Novelists, Poets, Playwrights Thread

vcczar

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

A lot of you mentioned that you read a lot of creative work, such as novels, plays, poems, short stories, etc. Who do you all like to read? Who is underrated? Who is overrated?

Here are some of my favorites. Would take too long to list them all, but here are some:

• Novelists/Novella writers
    • James Joyce (Ulysses)
    • Luo Guanzhong (Three Kingdoms)
    • David Markson (Wittgenstein's Mistress)
    • Mary Shelley (Frankenstein)
    • Jose Saramago (Balthasar and Blimunda)
    • Voltaire (Candide)
  • Poets
    • Walt Whitman (Song of Myself, especially)
    • Comte de Lautreamont
    • William Shakespeare
    • John Ashbery
    • James Tate
    • Anne Carson (She's Canadian for you Canadians out there)
    • Frank Stanford
    • Ludovico Ariosto
    • Paul Celan
    • Wallace Stevens
    • too many to count. This list could go to about 50 people. 
  • Playwrights
    • William Shakespeare
    • Ben Jonson
    • Christopher Marlowe
    • George Bernard Shaw
    • Alfred Jarry
    • Sarah Ruhl
  • Short Story Writers
    • James Baldwin
    • Julio Cortazar
    • Gabriel Garcia Marquez

59 minutes ago, vcczar said:

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

A lot of you mentioned that you read a lot of creative work, such as novels, plays, poems, short stories, etc. Who do you all like to read? Who is underrated? Who is overrated?

Here are some of my favorites. Would take too long to list them all, but here are some:

• James Joyce (Ulysses)
    • Voltaire (Candide)
  • Poets
    • Comte de Lautreamont
    • William Shakespeare
    • John Ashbery
    • James Tate
    • Frank Stanford
    • Ludovico Ariosto
    • Paul Celan
    • Wallace Stevens
  • Playwrights
    • William Shakespeare
    • Ben Jonson
    • Christopher Marlowe
    • George Bernard Shaw
    • Alfred Jarry
    • Sarah Ruhl
  • Short Story Writers
    • James Baldwin
    • Julio Cortazar
    • Gabriel Garcia Marquez

It's easy to like James Joyce, my all-time favorite William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe (who is very much underrated in the non-English speaking world. If I were the Secretary of Education, people would absolutely get to read Marlowe in school.). From the last category I only know Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

7 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

It's easy to like James Joyce, my all-time favorite William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe (who is very much underrated in the non-English speaking world. If I were the Secretary of Education, people would absolutely get to read Marlowe in school.). From the last category I only know Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Who would you recommend that isn't on my lists?

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Who would you recommend that isn't on my lists?

Well spontaneously I'd say, I am a big fan of Wilfred Owen. Additionally Ernest Hemingway, Victor Hugo and Franz Kafka might also be on my list.

First World War Poetry is probably one of the best and likewise most underrated literary genres I know. We talked about this months ago, so I guess you know the English people here and I'll only leave Walter Flex (Link) and Georg Trakl as maybe interesting new additions here. Not saying they should be on the highest list of course.

Regarding German literature my all-time favorite poet is Georg Heym. Again, if I'd be in charge of the Education Department in Austria (or Germany), people would definitely read Heym before graduating. I know Goethe and Schiller are the people who are mostly known, but I think that what's me leading to be eager to discover the work of many others as well. I guess it's similar to what I have mentioned why I like Arkansas more than California. A Los Angeles shopping trip wouldn't be that attractive for me to be honest. 

Furthermore I'd recommend you if you have time and interest to read about Joseph RothArthur Schnitzler and Stefan Zweig's great chess novel The Royal Game. I'd say all three together with Kafka are definitely within the canon of Austrian literature. However, the school system isn't what it should be unfortunately, so we didn't read these people very much. I only remember Kafka, and Swiss authors Friedrich Dürrenmatt and Max Frisch as valuable authors we read in school. If I could snatch a cabinet post, I'd want the Education Department first and foremost, because I've seen all the flaws in school and college first hand.

Within Germany I am most interested in Northern German Literature, as the romantic/idealistic view on Northern Germany is for me something similar to the image of the Shetland Islands and I like Shetland very much.

Besides that I love the work of Danish author Ludvig Holberg (so satirical and he even wrote on politics - many things are still true today), and I've only heard good things about French poet Arthur Rimbaud.

12 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Well spontaneously I'd say, I am a big fan of Wilfred Owen. Additionally Ernest Hemingway, Victor Hugo and Franz Kafka might also be on my list.

First World War Poetry is probably one of the best and likewise most underrated literary genres I know. We talked about this months ago, so I guess you know the English people here and I'll only leave Walter Flex (Link) and Georg Trakl as maybe interesting new additions here. Not saying they should be on the highest list of course.

Regarding German literature my all-time favorite poet is Georg Heym. Again, if I'd be in charge of the Education Department in Austria (or Germany), people would definitely read Heym before graduating. I know Goethe and Schiller are the people who are mostly known, but I think that what's me leading to be eager to discover the work of many others as well. I guess it's similar to what I have mentioned why I like Arkansas more than California. A Los Angeles shopping trip wouldn't be that attractive for me to be honest. 

Furthermore I'd recommend you if you have time and interest to read about Joseph RothArthur Schnitzler and Stefan Zweig's great chess novel The Royal Game. I'd say all three together with Kafka are definitely within the canon of Austrian literature. However, the school system isn't what it should be unfortunately, so we didn't read these people very much. I only remember Kafka, and Swiss authors Friedrich Dürrenmatt and Max Frisch as valuable authors we read in school. If I could snatch a cabinet post, I'd want the Education Department first and foremost, because I've seen all the flaws in school and college first hand.

Within Germany I am most interested in Northern German Literature, as the romantic/idealistic view on Northern Germany is for me something similar to the image of the Shetland Islands and I like Shetland very much.

Besides that I love the work of Danish author Ludvig Holberg (so satirical and he even wrote on politics - many things are still true today), and I've only heard good things about French poet Arthur Rimbaud.

Of these, I've read one Owen poem, his famous WWI poem. I've read only Hugo's poetry, but I don't think it translated well or something. I really do like Kafka. He should be on my list. Hemingway is okay. I like his letters on the art of writing better than his actual writing. George Trakl is one of my top 50 poets, although I haven't read him since like 2005. I don't know Georg Heym, but I'll look him up. Goethe is in my top 50 for poets and top 10 for playwrights. Haven't read Schiller or Holberg. I recommend Rimbaud, although I prefer Lautreamont from that time period in France. Sadly, I don't know much about German-language literature. I've read Rilke, Trakl, Celan, Goethe, Brecht, von Hofmannsthal, Sachs, Hugo Ball, Kafka, and maybe one to three other German language writers. 

Thanks for the suggestion about The Royal Game. The description is interesting. When I played chess many times a day at a coffee shop, I would always move very fast. I was actually better so long as I kept moving with my momentum. One strategy against me was to move slowly, since I'd lose my adrenaline rush.

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Of these, I've read one Owen poem, his famous WWI poem. I've read only Hugo's poetry, but I don't think it translated well or something. I really do like Kafka. He should be on my list. Hemingway is okay. I like his letters on the art of writing better than his actual writing. George Trakl is one of my top 50 poets, although I haven't read him since like 2005.

Great!

I don't know Georg Heym, but I'll look him up.

Yes please, that would be fine! I advertise him whenever I have the chance to do so.

Haven't read Schiller or Holberg.

Holberg is simply great, but I don't know if there are English translations available.

I recommend Rimbaud, although I prefer Lautreamont from that time period in France. Sadly, I don't know much about German-language literature. I've read Rilke, Trakl, Celan, Goethe, Brecht, von Hofmannsthal, Sachs, Hugo Ball, Kafka, and maybe one to three other German language writers. 

Thanks for giving the suggestion of Lautreamont. 

That's an amazing number of German language writers you have read!

Thanks for the suggestion about The Royal Game. The description is interesting. When I played chess many times a day at a coffee shop, I would always move very fast. I was actually better so long as I kept moving with my momentum. One strategy against me was to move slowly, since I'd lose my adrenaline rush.

Interesting. Glad you enjoyed my suggestion.

J.R.R. Tolkien should definitely be on the list as well.

By the way what do you think about Louise Glück? I've never heard of her until today. She's basically unknown outside the US is my impression.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Great!

Yes please, that would be fine! I advertise him whenever I have the chance to do so.

Holberg is simply great, but I don't know if there are English translations available.

Thanks for giving the suggestion of Lautreamont. 

That's an amazing number of German language writers you have read!

Interesting. Glad you enjoyed my suggestion.

J.R.R. Tolkien should definitely be on the list as well.

By the way what do you think about Louise Glück? I've never heard of her until today. She's basically unknown outside the US is my impression.

She had previously won the Pulitzer and National Book Awards. After Ashbery and Merwin, she’s probably won the most awards by a US poet. I first read her in 2005. I met her in 2012 in NYC. I met Merwin in TX in 2005. Met Ashbery about 10 times between 2008-2012. Gluck is the only of these three still alive. She’s a good poet but she doesn’t really excite me to go buying her books. She’s a little too normal of a poet for me. Merwin is kind of normal too but there’s something I like about him more. Ashbery is closer to my ideal poet. I like when poetry suspends me from reality but then also seems to make that reality clearer. I think he does that best. I think the only reason Ashbery never got the Nobel is because he was gay. I’ve heard the committee is kind of bigoted that way for some reason. 

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

• James Joyce (Ulysses)
    • Voltaire (Candide)
  • Poets
    • Comte de Lautreamont
    • William Shakespeare
    • John Ashbery
    • James Tate
    • Frank Stanford
    • Ludovico Ariosto
    • Paul Celan
    • Wallace Stevens
  • Playwrights
    • William Shakespeare
    • Ben Jonson
    • Christopher Marlowe
    • George Bernard Shaw
    • Alfred Jarry
    • Sarah Ruhl
  • Short Story Writers
    • James Baldwin
    • Julio Cortazar
    • Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Novelists/Novella Writers

-Isaac Asimov

-George Orwell

-H.G. Wells

-J.R.R. Tolkien

-Miguel de Cervantes

-Jean Johnson (whom I have actually met and spoken to in an online game)

-Margaret Atwood

-Scheherezade (though she told her 1000 Arabian Nights orally, they were apparently transcribed shortly after - possibly by a scribe of the Sultan as she was telling them)

-Matt Stover (solely for his official novelization of Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, which I actually read before seeing the movie, and the book includes the scenes cut from the movie due to running length and formatting, which gives certain otherwise absent insights).

-There's a bunch from long ago I remember the name of the novel or novella, but the author's names elude me. How embarassing. :P

Poets

-Roald Dahl

-Rudyard Kipling (only a VERY select number of poems)

-Homer

Playwrights

-William Shakespeare

Short Story Writers

-Several of the above Novelists/Novella Writers

-Pu Songling

-Aesop

Off the top of my head

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Two minor additions, @vcczar, edited in above. I was remiss in forgetting Aesop as a short-story writer and Homer as a poet (despite his works basically being novellas in poetic pentameter). That's been corrected, now.

Do you personally think Homer was one person or a group of people?

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Since we have no way to possibly no, we can only give the authorial credit we have. It's like the idea of just who wrote what pieces and parts of the Bible, when, and how their individual contexts and personal views differed. Pretty hard to say nowadays. Only guesswork can really be made...

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Two minor additions, @vcczar, edited in above. I was remiss in forgetting Aesop as a short-story writer and Homer as a poet (despite his works basically being novellas in poetic pentameter). That's been corrected, now.

I read Aesop in 4th grade. Haven't read him since, but I remember liking him. 

4 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I think there was an original Homer, and since he was an oral epic poet, that his original story has been embellished by other people, similar to how the gospels are all based off an original Q Gospel most likely. There were probably a few versions of Homer's poems at some point.