270soft Forum

I think Trump hates being president and just wants to lose

anti-trump

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/second-presidential-debate-virtual/index.html

The mods being able to cut off the mic would be SO good for him. He would actually let Biden talk and considering Biden's gaffe records Biden may not have a good day unlike at the first debate. (Biden also couldn't get out a sentence Trump was constantly talking over him)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anti-trump said:

That's Michael Wolff's book - not credible.

Trump has a massive ego, invested huge amounts of money and time into his bid, his wife stated publicly she told him 'You know, if you run, you're going to win'.

Having said that, did the gravity of winning the office start to sink in when he realized on election night he had won? Probably.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Trump has a massive ego, invested huge amounts of money and time into his bid, his wife stated publicly she told him 'You know, if you run, you're going to win'.

Having said that, did the gravity of winning the office start to sink in when he realized on election night he had won? Probably.

I got a prerelease of that book by the way. Never got around to reading it

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, admin_270 said:

You seem to arbitrarily declare anything published or broadcast in any media that criticizes Trump in a more in-depth and detailed way than the simplistic and oft-repeated "gripe-lines," of his political opponents automatically, by your fiat, is "not credible." It calls into high question and dubiousness your own credibility in this area of rhetoric.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You seem to arbitrarily declare anything published or broadcast in any media that criticizes Trump in a more in-depth and detailed way than the simplistic and oft-repeated "gripe-lines," of his political opponents automatically, by your fiat, is "not credible." It calls into high question and dubiousness your own credibility in this area of rhetoric.

Your critiques aren't credible either. 😉

• Haha 1

Trump is more and more disconnected with the majority of the american people.

Sometimes when I listen to him I am close to just hear Ben Shapiro honestly.

To this point that even Dennis Praeger seems less obsessed with the far-left / right-wing fight than Trump.

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I think not wanting to be President is what made Coolidge so great. If you're a President and you love your job, you're doing it wrong.

There was some guy that wrote a book about 4 types of presidents:

1. Presidents that loved being president and were also very active.
    1. Bill Clinton was in this spot.
  2. Presidents that love being president but were not very active.
    1. Ronald Reagan was in this spot.
  3. President that hated being president and were very active.
    1. I think Eisenhower was here, but I don't remember. 
  4. Presidents that hated being president and were very inactive.
    1. Coolidge

I remember the book argued that the first type made the best kinds of presidents. They were less jarred by events and less worn out since they loved the job.  

I don't think Bush II was the last president discussed in the book. 

I sort of skimmed the book about 7 years ago, so I can't say much more than this. It's seemed fun to think about, but it didn't seem to be terribly scientific. 

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

There was some guy that wrote a book about 4 types of presidents:

1. Presidents that loved being president and were also very active.
    1. Bill Clinton was in this spot.
  2. Presidents that love being president but were not very active.
    1. Ronald Reagan was in this spot.
  3. President that hated being president and were very active.
    1. I think Eisenhower was here, but I don't remember. 
  4. Presidents that hated being president and were very inactive.
    1. Coolidge

I remember the book argued that the first type made the best kinds of presidents. They were less jarred by events and less worn out since they loved the job.  

I don't think Bush II was the last president discussed in the book. 

I sort of skimmed the book about 7 years ago, so I can't say much more than this. It's seemed fun to think about, but it didn't seem to be terribly scientific. 

It's super funny because upon @ThePotatoWalrus first comment I was thinking about responding with "and Ike." and here we are. 

• Upvote 1

Why would somebody who doesn't even want a second term

1)  Run for a second term

2)  "Joke" about eliminating term limits at every single opportunity

If Donald Trump were younger/healthier, I'd be a lot more worried about his intent to stay in the Presidency forever.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Why would somebody who doesn't even want a second term

1)  Run for a second term

2)  "Joke" about eliminating term limits at every single opportunity

If Donald Trump were younger/healthier, I'd be a lot more worried about his intent to stay in the Presidency forever.

Donald Trump is highly egotistical and narcissistic, and a far better showman than a politician or businessman by far. I hope that helps to answer your question.

24 minutes ago, Patine said:

Donald Trump is highly egotistical and narcissistic, and a far better showman than a politician or businessman by far. I hope that helps to answer your question.

It doesn't.

It surely explains why he would do these things, but not why he would not want the second term in the first place.

He wants to be President forever.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Isn't it obvious? It's so he can wage war on his enemies.

Pure genius! That's why he's, statistically, in aggregate action, the least hawkish and military adventurist U.S. President after Herbert Hoover! It makes such clear sense now! :S

58 minutes ago, Patine said:

Pure genius! That's why he's, statistically, in aggregate action, the least hawkish and military adventurist U.S. President after Herbert Hoover! It makes such clear sense now! :S

You realise how close we came to World War III over North Korea, Syria, Iran, Chima? I mean, he only needs to start one little rumble in the Middle- or Far-East and then the missiles are gonna start flying! And what have we got in this country to combat the might of the world superpowers, besides a few submarines?

2 hours ago, Wiw said:

You realise how close we came to World War III over North Korea, Syria, Iran, Chima? I mean, he only needs to start one little rumble in the Middle- or Far-East and then the missiles are gonna start flying! And what have we got in this country to combat the might of the world superpowers, besides a few submarines?

North Korea was an exchange of bluster that led to an unprecedented summit of leaders encouraged by Dennis Rodman, the only human being on earth who had previously personally met and had significant conversation and positive interaction with both Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un previously, Syria was only ever a despicable example of the crime against humanity major power leadership should face trial over that is Cold War-style proxy war, and never anything else, Iran was two false flags that never escalated because everything saw right through them and no one was hoodwinked or taken from the start, and China was only ever an inexplicable, out-of-the-blue trade war and economic pissing match between the Orange Ogre and Winnie the Pooh. Any REAL examples, there, because I'm unaware of any.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Wiw said:

Isn't it obvious? It's so he can wage war on his enemies.

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Donald Trump’s enemies are not foreign countries.

They're Democrats and reporters and women and people of color.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, Patine said:

North Korea was an exchange of bluster that led to an unprecedented summit of leaders encouraged by Dennis Rodman, the only human being on earth who had previously personally met and had significant conversation and positive interaction with both Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un previously, Syria was only ever a despicable example of the crime against humanity major power leadership should face trial over that is Cold War-style proxy war, and never anything else, Iran was two false flags that never escalated because everything saw right through them and no one was hoodwinked or taken from the start, and China was only ever an inexplicable, out-of-the-blue trade war and economic pissing match between the Orange Ogre and Winnie the Pooh. Any REAL examples, there, because I'm unaware of any.

Well, okay, you got me there. Strange - I never did think much of Dennis when he was on Celebrity Big Brother, but if he could put that together...