270soft Forum

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Reagan04

2 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Pence is critical to the Republicans bc of what a clown Trump is. It eases the minds of swing state people who WANT to vote for trump but hate the tweeting, constant media stories, etc 

Trump needs to calm the f down and have a nice debate like he did w Hillary the 2nd go around. But if he continues to act crazy there's no way he can win. 

Straight facts. Don't debate like you're on Twitter. lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

3 conclusions from Frank Luntz Fox News Swing State voters: 

1) Kamala: "Abrasive" and "Condescending"

2) Pence: "too tired" "Vice Presidential"

"This was mike pence's night" 

"It was not that he did well, they felt both candidates didn't answer questions. They thought Kamala attacked Trump administration while Pence did a better job explaining the administration 

More upset with Kamala's reactions - smiling smirking, scowling 

More angry w that than Pence going over his time

--

Really my thoughts as well in terms of the discussion but didn't want to get into more arguments lol. 

My mother actually told me she stopped watching the debate since she was angry about watching Kamala smirk and be "disrespectful." My recommendation was that she just listens, cannot confirm nor deny whether she did or not.

Just now, PringlesN7 said:

Straight facts. Don't debate like you're on Twitter. lol

Think they probably told Trump to throw Biden off his game bc of his age "weakness" whatever and he just went too far.

Also think the COVID stuff probably fucked with his mind before. 

He just needs to act like he did in the last 2 debates against Clinton and he'll win the "debates". But if the narrative is he interrupted too much (which moderators I'm sure want to tame him on) then he fucked up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

Economics is something that should be solved with Pragmatism in my opinion.

I almost always find that, when policy is worded this way (or paraphrasing or analogous), it always leads to hardship and deprival for the poor and more enabling of the rich to get richer, solidify their riches, and have less rules and taxes to burden them. And I have a far broader study of examples of governance than just the U.S., as my political and historical personal studies are more global in nature, and the pattern is quite frequent across the board.

2 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

My mother actually told me she stopped watching the debate since she was angry about watching Kamala smirk and be "disrespectful." My recommendation was that she just listens, cannot confirm nor deny whether she did or not.

Don't want to keep harping on it, but the SC moment made her look horrific. 

I've never seen a candidate look so unlikable in that moment. Guess it got under her skin. 

I'm sure it'll lead to a large discussion in articles on bias but that just distracts from the Trump topic. Wouldn't go down that route if I'm the biden campaign. 

• Like 1

Just now, Patine said:

I almost always find that, when policy is worded this way (or paraphrasing or analogous), it always leads to hardship and deprival for the poor and more enabling of the rich to get richer, solidify their riches, and have less rules and taxes to burden them. And I have a far broader study of examples of governance than just the U.S., as my political and historical personal studies are more global in nature, and the pattern is quite frequent across the board.

Then perhaps I'm not a Centrist on Economics or maybe I just have my own version of what is economically sound.

For example. Reaganomics. Good in the short term. Terrible in the long term.

The Trump Tax Cuts have only added to our national debt and while some may say that's not a large issue... I think it has the potential to be. It's very high and if I remember correctly... Trump pledged to get the National Debt down. And even before the COVID-19 Pandemic it was going up a lot, so I'm talking in terms of before the virus. So the Tax Cuts for the wealthy... not so good. Tax Cuts for the middle class? Sure, I think that's great. 

I'm definitely no "Voo-Doo Economics" advocate.

However, I do think the rich can definitely afford to pay more in taxes; while the lower and middle classes should be given priority when it comes to any tax cuts. 

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

Just my opinion, but I doubt a fly on Pence's head will sway any swing state voters opinion. 

The fly was clearly shitting on Pence's head! Biden will win with 100% of the vote because of it!

• Like 1

I can't be certain of this because I haven't gone back and timed the times given to both sides yet, but I've seen a rumor going around that Pence got less time than Harris on some issues. Based on the debate I was watching since clearly we all watched a different debate I think it might be true, the moderator was a lot easier on Harris for going over her time compared to Pence but once again, thats just at the debate I was watching.

9 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

I can't be certain of this because I haven't gone back and timed the times given to both sides yet, but I've seen a rumor going around that Pence got less time than Harris on some issues. Based on the debate I was watching since clearly we all watched a different debate I think it might be true, the moderator was a lot easier on Harris for going over her time compared to Pence but once again, thats just at the debate I was watching.

The unofficial time I've seen was 35:22 for Pence and 38:48 for Harris. 

5 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

Trump pledged to get the National Debt down

Everybody campaigns on deficit reduction and reducing the debt, but nobody ever does anything about it.  Heck, Reagan campaigned on deficit reduction.  In the first presidential debate he said "I believe the budget can be balanced by 1982 or 1983."  

Just now, pilight said:

Everybody campaigns on deficit reduction and reducing the debt, but nobody ever does anything about it.  Heck, Reagan campaigned on deficit reduction.  In the first presidential debate he said "I believe the budget can be balanced by 1982 or 1983."  

True... and he also said the National Debt is big enough to take care of itself. :P Just something I was pointing out. 

11 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

Trump pledged to get the National Debt down

It's funny how every Republican President from George H.W. Bush on campaigns on lowering the National Debt, and then tends to increase it in their Administration more than Democratic Presidents in the same era by a significant margin. Yet a lot of people are still fooled into believing the GOP is, inherently, the more fiscally responsible and restrained party. :S

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Patine said:

It's funny how every Republican President from George H.W. Bush on campaigns on lowering the National Debt, and then tends to increase it in their Administration more than Democratic Presidents in the same era by a significant margin. Yet a lot of people are still fooled into believing the GOP is, inherently, the more fiscally responsible and restrained party. :S

Yeah lol. I'm just pointing that out. No President as of late has really been good with the economy in every aspect. Extremely few Presidents have gotten the national debt down for a while. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Democrats are Tax & Spend, Republicans are just Spend

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, PringlesN7 said:

Yeah lol. I'm just pointing that out. No President as of late has really been good with the economy in every aspect. Extremely few Presidents have gotten the national debt down for a while. 

In a fiat currency system, it doesn't really matter that much

36 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Pence didn't dodge on abortion

He said he was proudly pro life  

He briefly stated that he was pro-life later in the debate, but on the question of what Indiana should do if Roe is overturned, he said something like "Thank you for that question but I'm going to continue talking about the previous question" said some stuff about that topic, and after he finished that he started saying good things about Barrett and why she should be confirmed.

He dodged on a lot of questions, because he answered his own questions rather than the moderators questions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pilight said:

In a fiat currency system, it doesn't really matter that much

Until China, the great majority debtholder, eclipses the U.S. as the apex military, political, and economic power on the globe in several decades, at which time it will matter a lot more.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1