270soft Forum

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Reagan04

Overall. Not memorable. Relatively civil. I think Harris won but I’ll allow that some of that could be bias. I think Pence did alright, despite some clear flat out lies about the Biden platform and etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Overall. Not memorable. Relatively civil. I think Harris won but I’ll allow that some of that could be bias. I think Pence did alright, despite some clear flat out lies about the Biden platform and etc. 

I agree with the "civil" and "not memorable" parts. I think pence kept more composed and overall better in the debate, but this is still relative because this is really only compared to Trump vs Biden.

7 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

Not agreeing with both sides, agreeing with one side or the other. Being on either side and not both or neither is usually a 9 out of 10 shot that you're not changing your mind for anything, I couldn't convince a Biden supporter to vote for Trump or vice versa. 

I like to think I keep an open mind on issues I see. I think there are multiple ways to tackle problems or solve political issues. Again, I am a strong believer in bipartisanship because it reduces the loudness of the divisiveness and the shit we've seen throughout this decade. Both sides are guilty of it. I still dont know where you're coming from. I'm assuming you dont believe in compromising on issues or you may just dislike the beliefs of Independents and Centrists. Fair enough, I respect that. I hope you would not assume "9/10" this or that and return the same respect I've given to you and many others give on this forum. I've made my choice in this election as it will be my first year voting. Unless something extraordinary happens I won't be changing it... that doesnt mean I agree with everything my preferred candidate is saying. Because I most certainly do not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Him, by the way :) my username is deceiving lol.

Being named after the Greek Virgin Goddess of the Hearth and the youngest child of Kronos and Rhea, and thus youngest sibling to Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hera, and Demeter, with just a number after, can throw some people off and cause assumptions to be made on the Internet.

I thought both had their moments. 

I'll give it a 70-30 Pence win but Kamala for the most part did her job. Her strongest moments was her encouraging people to vote and the COVID segment. I thought at worst, she did a great job setting herself up for a real run in a few years. She did a strong job solidifying the base and I'd bet Twitter is very happy. 

Pence had a lot of moments in topics that can get clipped and repeated ad nauseam which is definitely gonna help Trump. By contrast, Trump yelled so much we didn't get anything from that 1st debate. I'd need to go over it, but Pence is just a really strong candidate. His strongest moments were him ignoring topics and engaging with Kamala directly on issues where she'd deflect.

Will it matter for the election??? IDK. Probably not. If Trump performs like his 1st debate it won't matter and he's so polarizing it won't matter.

But it convinces me Pence would have destroyed Biden. 

if Trump can win the 2nd debate (like 2016) he'll be in strong shape again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I dont think "lies" matter in the era of trump. It's just perceived punches and perception. 

Pence did well by being fairly calm in that debate.  But he avoided answering most of the questions, and instead answered his own questions.

And while he interrupted a lot less than Trump did, but he did interrupt a number of times, and I think that will come off badly after a heightened focus on interruptions in response to the last debate.

Harris did reasonably well, but not as great as I think she could have been capable of.  She really should have called him out for not answering the questions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defiant said:

Pence did well by being fairly calm in that debate.  But he avoided answering most of the questions, and instead answered his own questions.

And while he interrupted a lot less than Trump did, but he did interrupt a number of times, and I think that will come off badly after a heightened focus on interruptions in response to the last debate.

Yeah. He pivoted at least twice. I don’t think Harris ever pivoted unless I missed something. 

1 minute ago, PringlesN7 said:

I like to think I keep an open mind on issues I see. I think there are multiple ways to tackle problems or solve political issues. Again, I am a strong believer in bipartisanship because it reduces the loudness of the divisiveness and the shit we've seen throughout this decade. Both sides are guilty of it. I still dont know where you're coming from. I'm assuming you dont believe in compromising on issues or you may just dislike the beliefs of Independents and Centrists. Fair enough, I respect that. I hope you would not assume "9/10" this or that and return the same respect I've given to you and many others give on this forum. I've made my choice in this election as it will be my first year voting. Unless something extraordinary happens I won't be changing it... that doesnt mean I agree with everything my preferred candidate is saying. Because I most certainly do not.

I respect that. I do disagree with the idea of "centrist" however I am fine with a form of independent, as at the moment my main preference is with an "independent" party of the Libertarians however the difference between what I see as an independent and a centrist is that an independent still holds their beliefs, they still believe something, they are just open to changing their mind. A centrist would by definition not have any sort of belief, if you arent anywhere on the economic right or economic left spectrum and you're a "centrist" on it you probably wouldn't have a belief on it if you're a centrist by definition.

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

I thought both had their moments. 

I'll give it a 70-30 Pence win but Kamala for the most part did her job. Her strongest moments was her encouraging people to vote and the COVID segment. I thought at worst, she did a great job setting herself up for a real run in a few years. She did a strong job solidifying the base and I'd bet Twitter is very happy. 

Pence had a lot of moments in topics that can get clipped and repeated ad nauseam which is definitely gonna help Trump. By contrast, Trump yelled so much we didn't get anything from that 1st debate. I'd need to go over it, but Pence is just a really strong candidate. His strongest moments were him ignoring topics and engaging with Kamala directly on issues where she'd deflect.

Will it matter for the election??? IDK. Probably not. If Trump performs like his 1st debate it won't matter and he's so polarizing it won't matter.

But it convinces me Pence would have destroyed Biden. 

if Trump can win the 2nd debate (like 2016) he'll be in strong shape again. 

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Republicans will be very happy with Pence - he did a good job for the team. Democrats will be satisfied with Harris as well, but less so than Republicans with Pence simply because her expectations were higher.

This changes nothing about the race at all. Glad I know Harris a bit better though.

Well said to both of you. Debate wont matter much. Both had good moments. I still think Pence did a bit better because of the terrible performance of the first Presidential Debate and some of the highlights. I definitely think it eases some worries both sides may have had about their candidates.

• Like 2

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

Supreme Court packing??? 

The Supreme Court topic is just amazingly bad, both sides are extremely hypocritical and both only want a supreme court justice to be put in when it's more convenient for them. These issues are awful for debating.

• Like 1

I watched the debate but didn't see this thread as I was watching it outside on my deck with a buddy.

Pence definitely won the first half.

Kamala won the second half.

But really, it was the fly who won our hearts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PringlesN7 said:

Well said to both of you. Debate wont matter much. Both had good moments. I still think Pence did a bit better because of the terrible performance of the first Presidential Debate and some of the highlights. I definitely think it eases some worries both sides may have had about their candidates.

Pence is critical to the Republicans bc of what a clown Trump is. It eases the minds of swing state people who WANT to vote for trump but hate the tweeting, constant media stories, etc 

Trump needs to calm the f down and have a nice debate like he did w Hillary the 2nd go around. But if he continues to act crazy there's no way he can win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I watched the debate but didn't see this thread as I was watching it outside on my deck with a buddy.

Huh. That really goes against what I've seen as the popular opinion, as I've seen Pence losing early on with topics like COVID-19 and healthcare but winning economics and beyond. The fly is the true winner though, a true representative of the third parties!

• Like 1

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

how did Pence win the first half?? I think the COVID/Trump health topics are just losing topics for the Republicans.

After that, I thought Pence dominated. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

I respect that. I do disagree with the idea of "centrist" however I am fine with a form of independent, as at the moment my main preference is with an "independent" party of the Libertarians however the difference between what I see as an independent and a centrist is that an independent still holds their beliefs, they still believe something, they are just open to changing their mind. A centrist would by definition not have any sort of belief, if you arent anywhere on the economic right or economic left spectrum and you're a "centrist" on it you probably wouldn't have a belief on it if you're a centrist by definition.

Well, I will tell you that on economic issues I'd definitely say I'm a total Centrist on. Economics is something that should be solved with Pragmatism in my opinion. However, there are some issues... especially Domestic and Social Issues that I would appear more Conservative on. I was raised in rural South Carolina... in a very Conservative family. So I still retain some of those social values I suppose you could say. 

• Like 1

I think that Pence did a good job too, the only way for Trump to be re-elected is to flip voters on the economy

In any other issue Biden leads him by dubble digits

Both dodged questions (Harris on economy and court and Pence on issues like abortion and healthcare) but I do not see a lot of undecided voters flipping after the debate, at least it was civil one and they have been respectfull each others.

• Like 1

3 conclusions from Frank Luntz Fox News Swing State voters: 

1) Kamala: "Abrasive" and "Condescending"

2) Pence: "too tired" "Vice Presidential"

"This was mike pence's night" 

"It was not that he did well, they felt both candidates didn't answer questions. They thought Kamala attacked Trump administration while Pence did a better job explaining the administration 

More upset with Kamala's reactions - smiling smirking, scowling 

More angry w that than Pence going over his time

--

Really my thoughts as well in terms of the discussion but didn't want to get into more arguments lol. 

Just now, Edouard said:

I think that Pence did a good job too, the only way for Trump to be re-elected is to flip voters on the economy

In any other issue Biden leads him by dubble digits

Both dodged questions (Harris on economy and Pence on issues like abortion) but I do not see a lot of undecided flipping after the debate, at least it was civil and they have been respectfull each others.

Pence didn't dodge on abortion

He said he was proudly pro life