270soft Forum

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Reagan04

5 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Honestly the hypocrisy is the perfect angle to take and they should just hammer it constantly. "No we don't want to pack the court. -insert clips of GOP senators talking about the American people getting a voice rather than Merrick Garland- We just want the American people to have the voice that the GOP wanted them to have in 2016."

When Pence talked about dems changing the rules when they want Harris had a rebuttal occasion

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Really? Guess I can't relate lol. I found him the most likable in the Netflix doc on him losing. Before that he could not seem less relatable imo.

Yeah I mean Rubio and some POC will probably be trying to persuade voters they can unite voters and bring swing state voters to the GE, but I just don't see it working. Whether it convinces Republicans? Maybe.

They'll definitely be some soul searching if Trump loses, but I just think they'll move further right (since the country is moving further left) but with a candidate with charisma and virtually 0 Trump qualities. 

@SilentLiberty too. I think I could hang out with Romney more than Trump. Romney admitted to being a huge fan of the Three Stooges. I’d pay to watch the Three Stooges with Mitt Romney that would be hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Asking for him to give her the same respect she gave him, even while he trampled over time? Give me a break. Let her speak. 

He has. I don't think saying, "not true" is "Tramping over her time". 

If you're trying to equivocate Trump yelling over Biden with Pence/Kamala we totally disagree then. 

And just again, the moderator has attempted to cut off Kamala about her record as DA in California. It goes both way Hesita.

5 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

I agree with you that both the candidates are awful but I'm simply analyzing the debate as it is and it's my own opinion. I respect everyone's viewpoint on it here so I'm not really sure what you mean by saying you dont respect people that can agree with both sides.

Not agreeing with both sides, agreeing with one side or the other. Being on either side and not both or neither is usually a 9 out of 10 shot that you're not changing your mind for anything, I couldn't convince a Biden supporter to vote for Trump or vice versa. 

4 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

You raise a good point but really, at this point the debates of the Trump era have lowered my expectation that I'm just taking this as it is. Pence just comes off as more calm to me. Kamala is more cold in her answers but shes a prosecutor... so that's to be expected.

Up until the Supreme Court answer she was doing a great job lowering her polarity compared to the DNC debates. 

I'm surprised you say, "cold" bc I never viewed her as that. Perhaps disingenuous, but most politicians are. 

11 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Not sure what swing state people think 

but Kamala is coming across extremely bitchy and condescending with this Supreme Court response.

I'm sure Twitter disagrees with me :)

9 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Woaaaaah. Would you say the same about Pence talking over the moderator being a jackass while she tries to get him to get back on track? 

9 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Harris acting like packing the court is such a wild accusation. And now she's giving a deflection answer.

A jackass is male donkey (traditionally one slated for hard labour and burdens) and a bitch is female dog (typical one whose role is breeding by dog breeders, and not a spayed dog). These are the only acceptable and non-offensive, non-provocative, and non-incendiary uses of these words.

4 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Some of them are running for re-election but not for president no. But it's more about shifting the narrative of the question. The GOP does look shitty regardless if I want ACB on the court or not. 

Yeah they're hypocrites, but I mean both sides would have pushed a SC person through. 

I'd think it dumb on both parties if they didn't. But the comments by McConnell and Lindsey in 2016 (?) clearly didn't look good in retrospect. 

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

She wasnt cutting him off. He was doing that to her. You brought up the moderator, not Harris. So its not the same.

Obviously its not the same as Trump, but to say she sounds bitchy because she wanted to use her time is flatly incorrect and sexist.

I'm not sure if I just misheard who was speaking, but I've heard Kamala interrupt Pence multiple times, especially early debate. 

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

Yeah they're hypocrites, but I mean both sides would have pushed a SC person through. 

I'd think it dumb on both parties if they didn't. But the comments by McConnell and Lindsey in 2016 (?) clearly didn't look good in retrospect. 

2018 actually 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

She wasnt cutting him off. He was doing that to her. You brought up the moderator, not Harris. So its not the same.

Obviously its not the same as Trump, but to say she sounds bitchy because she wanted to use her time is flatly incorrect and sexist.

It wasn't her "using her time" it was how she was talking down to Pence. We could clip it and argue about it for 100 pages and probably not come to an agreement. I apologize if you were offended by my word choice. Maybe, "Condescending" would have been more appropriate. 

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

Up until the Supreme Court answer she was doing a great job lowering her polarity compared to the DNC debates. 

I'm surprised you say, "cold" bc I never viewed her as that. Perhaps disingenuous, but most politicians are. 

On issues aside from Covid shes more straightforward in her answers... perhaps that's a better way of putting it. And yeah, most politicians definitely are lol. There's always the exception... such as the "packing the court" etc. etc. All candidates are going to have a point where they hem and haw or redirect the question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

I'm not sure if I just misheard who was speaking, but I've heard Kamala interrupt Pence multiple times, especially early debate. 

I did too, but apparently we're watching different debates.

WE can always clip things later, but I think it's just difference of opinion. As long as it's civil I don't mind discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Okay? So if theyre doing the same thing was Pence bitchy? 

Both are being bitchy. Theres a reason I call both candidates awful. Neither of these candidates are good. But that whole sexism thing about him saying Kamala was being bitchy I'm still laughing about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

That fly was very large

3 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

that fly was the biggest fly I've seen since I went to Philly 3 years ago.

I still have no idea what this inexplicable "fly," reference was about.

Just now, Patine said:

I still have no idea what this inexplicable "fly," reference was about.

A few minutes ago, a fly landed on Pence's head and hung around in his hair. Very distracting, and hilarious, imo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NYConservative said:

Both are being bitchy. Theres a reason I call both candidates awful. Neither of these candidates are good. But that whole sexism thing about him saying Kamala was being bitchy I'm still laughing about.

Certain people on the left share her viewpoint in terms of word sensitivity, so I'm fine having the discussion. Good to hear different viewpoints which is the most refreshing part of this message board.

But that moment definitely made Kamala look... extremely unlikable? I think that's fine to say idk. 

• Like 1