270soft Forum

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Reagan04

Just now, PoliticalPundit said:

I'm speaking in the most general of general terms. Taxes specifically and the % people would pay had Sanders won the nomination and been elected vs. let's say a Biden. Even you would say the tax plan between the two is vast. 

The vast majority of Americans are overtaxed. Billionaires and big corporations pay a pitance. It's akin to the taxation situation in France in 1789. I think when you say this, you're saying (probably hoodwinked) that the percentage billionaires and big corporations' taxes would jump is the "scare factor." I don't believe the working or even middle class would have much to fear.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I was 100% sure Cotton would be a President someday but his convention speech was so bland that now I don’t think he will. I say this as someone that would find Cotton scary. 

He writes really well, I think they could figure it out.

Clearly Republicans don't care about charisma based on Romney winning. It's just who is going to be the furthest to the right. 

Just now, Patine said:

The vast majority of Americans are overtaxed. Billionaires and big corporations pay a pitance. It's akin to the taxation situation in France in 1789. I think when you say this, you're saying (probably hoodwinked) that the percentage billionaires and big corporations' taxes would jump is the "scare factor." I don't believe the working or even middle class would have much to fear.

I'm not a billionaire or a big corporation, but I'd be paying far more in taxes w Bernie compared to Biden. please don't insult my intelligence with, "probably hoodwinked" thank you. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I was 100% sure Cotton would be a President someday but his convention speech was so bland that now I don’t think he will. I say this as someone that would find Cotton scary. 

I don't think John James will be elected to the senate. And I know that will be two tries and two fails but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be President some day.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a billionaire or a big corporation, but I'd be paying far more in taxes w Bernie compared to Biden. please don't insult my intelligence with, "probably hoodwinked" thank you. 

Same here. My family and I are making a decent amount of money, nothing special but not poor either. On average less than 1k in federal taxes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

He writes really well, I think they could figure it out.

Clearly Republicans don't care about charisma based on Romney winning. It's just who is going to be the furthest to the right. 

Romney has a kind of quirky type of charisma imo. 

I actually think the party will be in a battle between going further right, more or the same, and moving a little to the center.

2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

There are moments where it feels like she's still running for the top of the ticket. So not being very well versed in Biden's past could be a side effect of that. 

She's helping herself far more in this debate (regardless of if Biden wins) than she's helping Biden. 

The most I've seen her talk about Biden is, "I love talking with him about this topic". 

• Upvote 1

"Far more," taxes, eh? I think even Sanders knows you can't get blood from a stone, so he's going to bleed off some of the fat, lazy, indolent cattle nearby, instead.

Just now, Hestia11 said:

Woaaaaah. Would you say the same about Pence talking over the moderator being a jackass while she tries to get him to get back on track? 

Yeah I disagree with the bitch comment and so I disavow that and the snarky commentary in general but I too didn't like the way she responded to the question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Not sure what swing state people think 

but Kamala is coming across extremely bitchy and condescending with this Supreme Court response.

I'm sure Twitter disagrees with me :)

Maybe if one is already leaning Trump but that was quite a sagacious response. It’s the kind of response you’d want to rebut Trump. If Kamala Harris was a man I doubt you’d say he came off as an asshole. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentLiberty said:

I actually think the party will be in a battle between going further right, more or the same, and moving a little to the center.

Really? Guess I can't relate lol. I found him the most likable in the Netflix doc on him losing. Before that he could not seem less relatable imo.

Yeah I mean Rubio and some POC will probably be trying to persuade voters they can unite voters and bring swing state voters to the GE, but I just don't see it working. Whether it convinces Republicans? Maybe.

They'll definitely be some soul searching if Trump loses, but I just think they'll move further right (since the country is moving further left) but with a candidate with charisma and virtually 0 Trump qualities. 

3 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Pence dominated the economic parts

Harris won the coronavirus and healthcare ones

Let's see for the Supreme Court, personnaly I would denounce the hypocrisy of the GOP on the issue

Honestly the hypocrisy is the perfect angle to take and they should just hammer it constantly. "No we don't want to pack the court. -insert clips of GOP senators talking about the American people getting a voice rather than Merrick Garland- We just want the American people to have the voice that the GOP wanted them to have in 2016."

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NYConservative said:

If you can agree with either candidate I really don't respect you, not you specifically but anyone in general. I feel Pence is winning the debate however both candidates seem awful, still not comparable to Trump vs Biden but still awful.

I agree with you that both the candidates are awful but I'm simply analyzing the debate as it is and it's my own opinion. I respect everyone's viewpoint on it here so I'm not really sure what you mean by saying you dont respect people that can agree with both sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Thats fair. I expect nothing less. But to say she sounds bitchy is horrible and rude. 

I agree. It can also come across sexist. So I agree with your comment about would Pence be a jackass. It's the little things like that that we have to be aware of. 

2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Woaaaaah. Would you say the same about Pence talking over the moderator being a jackass while she tries to get him to get back on track? 

Once again, the moderator is cutting off Kamala for the same things but at a lesser rate. (Such as just now on the Brianna Taylor incident). 

I found Trump to be far more obnoxious (and unsuccessful) in the 1st debate.

Doesn't change my view that Kamala looked awful in her responses to pence on the Supreme Court question treating him like a school boy or whatever the angle was  

The big upset from Harris is when she has not been clear enough on the Green New Deal as well as packing the court + the moment where pence used the 2009 pandemic, even myself who has no prep may have replied about ebola but most of all about the preparations to fight a pandemic that Trump cutted in office.

Also the 2009 flu heavily relied on the Bush years unlike Ebola.

Sincerely I am not a fan of Pence but apart healthcare where he has been absent, he is well defending the "undefendable".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Of course, we must not forget that the Electoral College and State Government Gerrymandering and lingering voter suppression laws are the ONLY factors that keep the Republican Party of the United States relevant and a political contender Federally outside of the Senate, frankly. And, of course, the lack of any other viable party ALLOWED to win and not institutionally repressed by the rigged voting system other than the Democratic Party of the United States. If the United States had a system of electing their President and National Legislature more like Brazil, France, or the Philippines, the Republican Party would have either died Federally (and maybe remained as some or regional affiliates), with maybe a splinter group or two, and the Democratic Party would have splinter into several parties, and parties like the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution would be more relevant, and forming new parties would not automatically be guaranteed to be a waste of time and money.

3 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Honestly the hypocrisy is the perfect angle to take and they should just hammer it constantly. "No we don't want to pack the court. -insert clips of GOP senators talking about the American people getting a voice rather than Merrick Garland- We just want the American people to have the voice that the GOP wanted them to have in 2016."

GOP senators aren't running 

13 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

More calm and experienced? But not answering a single questioned asked and pivoting. Hes not actually answering the question asked. Just because hes calm doesnt mean that he is actually answering questions and participating in the debate. Harris on the attack has been decent. I'd give it to her. 

You raise a good point but really, at this point the debates of the Trump era have lowered my expectation that I'm just taking this as it is. Pence just comes off as more calm to me. Kamala is more cold in her answers but shes a prosecutor... so that's to be expected.

• Like 1