270soft Forum

Random Non-Political Poll

Random Non-Political Poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following types of literature do you read? (i.e. I'll read the following more than once a year)

• Novels/Novellas
    • Short stories
    • Creative non-fiction
    • Memoirs/autobiographies
    • Essays/Literary Criticism
    • Scriptures/Religious Texts
    • Plays/Drama
    • Diaries/Letters
    • Poetry
    • Graphic Novels/Comic Books
    • Non-fiction books, such as on history, politics, current events, science, anthropology, etc.
    • I don't really read any of these, at least not twice a year.
  2. 2. Which of these Famous Artists's work do you like best?

• Michelangelo
    • Leonardo da Vinci
    • Raphael
    • Jackson Pollock
    • Marcel Duchamp
    • Salvador Dali
    • Gustav Klimt
    • Pablo Picasso
    • Vincent van Gogh
    • Andy Warhol
    • Claude Monet
    • Henri Matisse
    • Rembrandt
    • Paul Cezanne
    • Wassily Kandinsky
    • Piet Mondrian
    • Mark Rothko
    • Norman Rockwell
    • Marc Chagall
    • Banksy
    • I can't say that I like or dislike these artists since I don't know enough about art to recall what they've done.
    • I dislike all of these artists, but I do like this artist ______________ (Mention below)
  3. 3. Which of the following music genres would you choose if you were forced to listen to only one genre for 24 straight hours?

• "Classical" Music (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, etc.)
    • Polka Music
    • Country Music
    • Rap Music
    • Jazz Music
    • Musical Theatre Music
    • Techno Music
    • Death Metal
    • Christmas Music
    • Italian Opera
    • Silence (no music for 24 hours)
  4. 4. Best Shakespeare Play of the following

• Hamlet
    • Macbeth
    • Julius Caesar
    • Romeo and Juliet
    • King Lear
    • Merchant of Venice
    • A Midsummer's Night's Dream
    • Othello
    • The Tempest
    • Much Ado About Nothing
    • I don't like any of these Shakespeare plays, but I do like this one ____________ (mention below)
    • I don't like Shakespeare plays

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I didn't know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Raphael was an artist, but he's my favourite TMNT, so I picked him. 😉

You didn't know that they're all named after Renaissance artists? Donatello is the only one out of place. He's was born earlier than the other three and almost exclusively sculpted. 

Of course I'm voting Twelfth Night.  It's by far the Bard's funniest work and has been copied so many times.  However, if you get The Winter's Tale done correctly it's a truly magical experience.

• Like 1

I read a ton of novels and non-fiction works, especially about politics and political figures -- the joke among my family was that I was literally reading four books at the same time, and that joke is based on the fact that I once really did have four books in front of me, all open, and I was reading a page from one and then a page from another and rotating through them like that, quickly while still retaining everything.

But real life intervened, and now while I still purchase books that I'm very excited about, I don't think I've finished a single book in years.  I mostly blame parenting -- I did make it through the entire Song of Ice and Fire book series (Game of Thrones) while my daughter was a baby -- but now that she's older, almost every waking non-working moment is either interacting with her or decompressing by staring blankly at my phone. ;c)

For the Shakespeare question: Ironic as I am "acting"guy, based on my past as an actor and theater major, but I just never took to Shakespeare.  It wasn't my thing.  Closest I ever came was that I was cast as Hamlet in Tom Stoppard's hilarious parody "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" -- I LOVED the parody play, but hated that I had the most boring part in it.  I was also doing a TV show at the time that took up a lot of my nights and I ended up falling asleep through a lot of the stage rehearsals, so I ended up being fired from the play.  First and only time that ever happened, but I didn't blame them.  I just couldn't get into the Hamlet character because he was still just being the boring Shakespeare guy while everyone around him has all these awesome, hilarious lines.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

You didn't know that they're all named after Renaissance artists? Donatello is the only one out of place. He's was born earlier than the other three and almost exclusively sculpted. 

Don't forget Splinter, the 14th century wood sculptor. 🙃

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

I read a ton of novels and non-fiction works, especially about politics and political figures -- the joke among my family was that I was literally reading four books at the same time, and that joke is based on the fact that I once really did have four books in front of me, all open, and I was reading a page from one and then a page from another and rotating through them like that, quickly while still retaining everything.

But real life intervened, and now while I still purchase books that I'm very excited about, I don't think I've finished a single book in years.  I mostly blame parenting -- I did make it through the entire Song of Ice and Fire book series (Game of Thrones) while my daughter was a baby -- but now that she's older, almost every waking non-working moment is either interacting with her or decompressing by staring blankly at my phone. ;c)

For the Shakespeare question: Ironic as I am "acting"guy, based on my past as an actor and theater major, but I just never took to Shakespeare.  It wasn't my thing.  Closest I ever came was that I was cast as Hamlet in Tom Stoppard's hilarious parody "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" -- I LOVED the parody play, but hated that I had the most boring part in it.  I was also doing a TV show at the time that took up a lot of my nights and I ended up falling asleep through a lot of the stage rehearsals, so I ended up being fired from the play.  First and only time that ever happened, but I didn't blame them.  I just couldn't get into the Hamlet character because he was still just being the boring Shakespeare guy while everyone around him has all these awesome, hilarious lines.  

That's funny about the four books. 

I love Shakespeare's plays and poems. I probably have about 20+ books just on Shakespeare. I wrote an entire play using Shakespeare's language, a sort of surreal neo-Jacobean experience. The play is still unfinished, but it's like 90% done. It's hilarious but unstageable. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Silence was my 2nd choice. Kind of surprised you picked Silence as your top choice.

I can't imagine listening to any kind of music for 24 hours straight. However, sometimes at Christmas it feels like I've been listening to Christmas music for 24 hours straight ... 😄

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

I can't imagine listening to any kind of music for 24 hours straight. However, sometimes at Christmas it feels like I've been listening to Christmas music for 24 hours straight ... 😄

When I worked at Huffington Post I listened to music without lyrics to work. 1) To drown out other people talking when I needed to focus. 2) I needed to focus on my own words. For much of this time, I listened only to Baroque Music (classical music from about 1600 to 1750--like Bach) on Pandora since it seemed to have an energetic tempo, while later classical music wasn't consistently energetic. I got really good at predicting whether the specific baroque music piece I was hearing for the first time was Italian, French, German, Spanish, etc. baroque. I sometimes could identify specifically who it was. I haven't listened to much of it since then. 

I actually don't listen to much music unless it happens to already be playing inside of a coffee shop. 

• Upvote 1

2. Claude Monet

3. Classical music

4. Macbeth

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I listened only to Baroque Music (classical music from about 1600 to 1750--like Bach)

Ya, this is the sort of music I am most likely to be able to work to. Some baroque like Bach and Vivaldi, other technically Classical like Haydn, that sort of thing.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Patine said:

Thank-you for skipping the '90's-2000's Alternative Rock genre, the greatest contemporary music genre ever crafted (in my opinion) in question number 3. :(  You are remiss.

I skipped it because I thought it would win. I picked genres that some people really hate. 

And my favourite Shakespeare play is shared only with @Reagan04. The again, he was one of the only ones here to agree with the unerappreciated quality of the Star Wars prequels over the Disney sequels and for very similar reasons. "Beware the Ides of March," and "begun this Clone War has."

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I skipped it because I thought it would win. I picked genres that some people really hate. 

HEY.  

TWO of my favorite genres were on the list.  In addition to showtunes, I also listen to a lot of country.

Yeah — my Spotify account is an absolute mess.  ;c)

• Haha 1

I played Macduff in Macbeth last year in the Theatre class I took here at Penn State

I like Van Gogh (Picasso right behind) as a character of art the most, but actual art wise I gotta go with Salvador Dali

18 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I like Van Gogh (Picasso right behind) as a character of art the most, but actual art wise I gotta go with Salvador Dali

Wasn't he a Cubist, or am I mistaking him for someone else?