270soft Forum

State of the Race: 27 Days Left

27 Day Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

2. 2. What was your thoughts on Trump's dramatic and triumphal return to the White House after a few days in the Hospital?

• It was a historic moment that will mark the turning around of his campaign and his path to reelection victory.
    • I approved of it, even if it is just Trump being the entertainer that he is.
    • I am more worried than judgmental or supportive about it. He seemed to be gasping for air and seemed haggard--clearly in worse health than he's projecting.
    • I condemn the still Covid-positive Pres. Trump for ignoring health advisors and playing down the pandemic once again by ripping off his mask once he got to the White House balcony. This behavior will only sink him further.
  3. 3. Who is more likely to win the VP Debate on Wed?

4. 4. Trump claims he will still debate and will debate in person. Do you think this is more likely than not?

5. 5. If Biden win in November (which seems increasingly likely), and he sees the nation recover completely from Covid and its economic effects, and he runs for reelection, which of the following do you think will be true?

• AOC will challenge him for the nomination and defeat Biden in the primaries.
    • AOC will challenge him for the nomination but won't defeat Biden in the primaries.
    • Biden will be renominated and win reelection.
    • Biden will be renominated, but he will lose to a GOP moderate like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan for Pres.
    • Biden will be renominated, but he will lose to a GOP establishment politician like Marco Rubio or Tim Scott.
    • Biden will be renominated, but he will lose to a GOP Conservative like Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton
    • Biden will be renominated, but he will lose to a GOP populist like Donald Trump Jr or one of those Q-Anon politicians.
    • Even if Biden is seen as leading the country out of Covid and into a great post-Covid economy, I think Biden will want to retire, and won't run for a 2nd term.
    • If Biden win in 2020, I don't think any of these scenarios will occur.

for the last question I meant to choose the 2nd to last option

2 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Trump playbook for the past 4+ years is to just keep doing wild things quickly and repeatedly until you get tired or amazed.

The paranoid part of me says that Trump is intentionally sabotaging the country and setting it up for failure with the ignore Covid and no stimulus action for his foreign/Russian masters and the incoming Democratic administration.  The final part in this play is challenging the election results.

I'm more and more believing Trump is a useful idiot for someone (in singular or plural) who is actually sinister, cunning, Machiavellian manipulator and mastermind that Trump is inexplicably and ridiculously claimed to be by a lot of his opponents. If my suspicions are correct - and they seem to be at least quite plausible - then, indeed, the "final boss fight," viewpoint toward the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election may not be anywhere near the end. It may be the trope like in so many Final Fantasy iterations where the villainous character you start as thinking is the one behind all the evil and will certainly be the final boss is just a chump for the true villain. This is something that really worries me - and should worry everyone here.

29 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Of course! We know it was Putin all along! He wanted to cripple the US so he could take the Baltics without fear of massive retaliation!

I didn't even try to speculate who it may be - if I was even correct - because of I have no way of knowing for sure. But I guess the Great Oracle blessed by Phobos and Deimos must know and make yet another prophecy! :S

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I didn't even try to speculate who it may be - if I was even correct - because of I have no way of knowing for sure. But I guess the Great Oracle blessed by Phobos and Deimos must know and make yet another prophecy! :S

Well, what other opponent of the United States has that much pull on the stage?

10 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Why would such a hypothetical, postulated, and suspected figure(s) consider themselves an opponent of the United States as a nation, or necessarily be foreign by nationality? Haven't you been paying attention to American politics? They don't exactly have a unified consensus on a vision to install for the nation. In fact, they're viciously, vitriolically, and hatefully divided on these issues.

3 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

The Senate's still close. Cunningham's news will throw that race into jeopardy even more, making races like Iowa must-wins.

Ernest is getting crushed in the polls. Dont see how she wins. Absolutely nothing inspiring about her either. 

5 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Honestly unsure who will win the VP debate. I haven’t seen pence debate before, and Harris has been lackluster in the debates where I watched her.

Pence did exceptional against Tim Kaine. Kaine basically did a Trump constantly interrupting and Pence looked like the adult in the room and normalized Trump. This was also right after the Access Hollywood tapes and this combined w Trump's 2nd debate virtually erased his negative momentum.

Having said that, I like Kamala's ability to "prosecute Trump" if she's able to stick to her script and not get thrown. If she can counter attack well she'll have a fantastic night but from what I saw at the Democratic debates she is pretty poor when getting pushed (Tulsi). 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Wiw said:

China, Iran, Israel, Russia, and Turkey are the main countries exploiting American chaos right now to (re)create their historic empires.

1 hour ago, Jayavarman said:

China, Iran, Israel, Russia, and Turkey are the main countries exploiting American chaos right now to (re)create their historic empires.

Such exploitation has been, and is, a common U.S. foreign and military theme, if not to recreate historic empires. In fact, Post-WW2 American policy has probably been the worst and most attrocious at it. I only really feel sympathy and solidarity for nations who suffer this, but don't sling it out.

3 minutes ago, Jayavarman said:

Solomon's kingdom - Welcome to Zion Bible Church

A kingdom in Antiquity of pastoralist herders and vintners, occupying mostly rugged hills, desert, and marshy Eastern Mediterranean Coast. Hardly an "empire," by definition. It was easily trounced, militarily by the Assyrians, and then Babylonians. I think you're very much exaggerating. However, I do agree that Israel's MODERN designs are a great overreach and forcing a "tail-wagging-the-dog," alliance with the U.S. But I also, in general, stand by what I say here:

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Such exploitation has been, and is, a common U.S. foreign and military theme, if not to recreate historic empires. In fact, Post-WW2 American policy has probably been the worst and most attrocious at it. I only really feel sympathy and solidarity for nations who suffer this, but don't sling it out.

If Pence appeals to common sense, down-to-earth conservatism and real values of the party of Lincoln it should be easy to win this against Harris. She is the sort of politician who makes at least me looking nostalgically back to even Hillary Clinton. I guess Pence can accomplish his mission in the end.

11 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

If Pence appeals to common sense, down-to-earth conservatism and real values of the party of Lincoln it should be easy to win this against Harris. She is the sort of politician who makes at least me looking nostalgically back to even Hillary Clinton. I guess Pence can accomplish his mission in the end.

Down-to-earth Conservativism is seemingly not remotely compatible with mainstream, modern American Conservatism. And the Republican Party of the United States ceased to be the Party of Lincoln with the Corrupt Bargain of 1877 - and never came near to that legacy again. I hate to say it, but if that's your advice, Pence would be doomed. He'd be branded a RINO by his party!

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Pence loses if Harris gets him into the woods on COVID or actions taken by Trump. If he can somehow separate himself, he'll do okay.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't think this really qualifies as an 'empire'. If it is, it's a pretty puny empire.

Empire: "usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/empire?s=t

I tend to define empire as any government that has governmental control over at least two states/nations traditionally run by people of distinct cultures. A distinct culture would be a culture that is genetically distinct, speaks another language, and has different customs (such as a religion, etc.). Additionally, said empire will often render the absorbed people as 2nd class citizens or force/encourage them to integrate to achieve any semblance of equality. The geography is a side factor to me. 

For this reason, you can have Inca Empires and Aztec Empires, Mali Empire in Africa, both which are small empires as compared to Eurasian Empires. America is technically an Empire because of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Native American tribal lands, etc. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

any government that has governmental control over at least two states/nations traditionally run by people of distinct cultures

Ya, but I don't think this is what people mean when they say 'empire'. We have a perfectly good word for Solomon's Kingdom - 'kingdom'!

2 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

China, Iran, Israel, Russia, and Turkey are the main countries exploiting American chaos right now to (re)create their historic empires/kingdoms and/or expand beyond their current borders.

It hurts when you're taking it, and it feels malignantly satisfying and pleasurable when you're doing it. But, my point is, it's hard to feel sorry for a country when they suffer such a thing who constantly does the same thing themselves, and feels nothing is wrong with it, feels it's justified and righteous when they do it, and do it unrepretently and viciously try to discredit those who call them out for it.

• Confused 1