270soft Forum

State of the Race: 29 Days Left

29 Day Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

2. 2. What was your opinion of Trump ordering his driver and secret service to take him on a drive to greet fans standing outside Walter Reed Hospital?

• I approve of the move. It's campaign season. It encourages him to get better. It makes his fans happy. That outweighs the strong change that he infected everyone in the car that was with him.
    • This was both reckless and stupid. He strongly risked infecting those with him. It highlights his lack of empathy of people other than himself, his recklessness, and his overall lack of thought.
  3. 3. In a hospital video on Twitter, Trump says "he learned a lot" about the Coronavirus, and now "he gets it." Which of the two most captures your reaction to this?

• Great! He'll turn this pandemic around quickly now and help a lot of people. I really think he's changed.
    • Sorry, this is too little too late. This kind of comment just shows that he can't empathize unless something happens to him personally.
  4. 4. Do you think Trump's spokesperson's, including White House doctors, are being transparent on Trump's condition?

• Yes.
    • No, Trump is healthier than they say he is.
    • No, Trump is trying to play strong and active, but he's sicker than he's pretending to be, although not significantly so.
    • No, considering his age and weight, Trump is going to have lingering health issues for a few weeks as is the case with many older adults that survive Covid.
    • No, he's doing whatever he can to appear very much alive, but his health is probably critical.
  5. 5. Who are you voting for in November?

• I am not old enough to vote.
    • I cannot vote because I don't like in the US or don't have citizenship.
    • I am a US citizen and old enough to vote, but I am not registered.
    • Trump
    • Biden
    • 3rd Party
    • I am registered to vote in the US, but I will not vote.
    • I am registered to vote in the US, but I am still undecided.

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya - I actually go outside more now than at the beginning of COVID-19, and exercise more now than then. But I live in an area with lots of outside places to go to.

Even when I living through the coldest Ontario winter in 25 years, I would still go outside pretty much every day for exercise. -40C (same in F) with wind chill was tough, though - I cut that walk short because my eyes were hurting from the cold.

I think -12F is the coldest I've been in. That was here in Philadelphia. It didn't feel as cold as the -2F I was in once in NYC. I remember my lungs were hurting when I tried to run home because it was so cold.  In Texas, I had the reverse. A 104F to 106F is expected. I walk outside in this for about 30 minutes to go to the coffee shop. I think one time it was 110F or 112F. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I think -12F is the coldest I've been in. That was here in Philadelphia. It didn't feel as cold as the -2F I was in once in NYC. I remember my lungs were hurting when I tried to run home because it was so cold.  In Texas, I had the reverse. A 104F to 106F is expected. I walk outside in this for about 30 minutes to go to the coffee shop. I think one time it was 110F or 112F. 

What do these extremes translate to in Celsius?

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

What do these extremes translate to in Celsius?

Farenheit is the superior temperature system. Celsius is good for measuring water temperature, but farenheit is better for normal "air" temperatures and I think you guys up there should learn it :P

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Farenheit is the superior temperature system. Celsius is good for measuring water temperature, but farenheit is better for normal "air" temperatures and I think you guys up there should learn it :P

We had Farhenheit until the '80's. We switched because it's counter-intuitive, inconsistent, and non-sensical. You should learn down there.

32 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

We had Farhenheit until the '80's. We switched because it's counter-intuitive, inconsistent, and non-sensical. You should learn down there.

I have the honour of being fluent in both lol.  When I am in Canada, I speak a foreign language with those I know in the Caribbean when I start referring to metric units, and I speak a foreign language with Canadians when I am back in the Caribbean.  Fair to say I keep a conversion chart handy in my head lol.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

There is a big difference in what I call "wet" and "dry" snow as well.  If you live somewhere like the Maritimes in Canada, the humidity combined with -20C is a pain.  It is so much drier if you live somewhere like the Prairies, the cold just cuts through your skin out there. 

3 minutes ago, CPE said:

There is a big difference in what I call "wet" and "dry" snow as well.  If you live somewhere like the Maritimes in Canada, the humidity combined with -20C is a pain.  It is so much drier if you live somewhere like the Prairies, the cold just cuts through your skin out there. 

Living in the Prairies, I'm well aware of this.

26 minutes ago, CPE said:

NYC is maritime. Philadelphia is more inland, but still kinda maritime.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

One A- Poll has Biden leading Trump by +14. If this were true, Biden would be looking at about 400 EVs. 

NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 10/8 - 10/9 447 LV 4.6 52 38 Clinton +14
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 10/10 - 10/13 905 LV 3.3 51 41 Clinton +10
NBC News/SM10/10 - 10/1624804 LV1.05143Clinton +8
NBC News/SM10/17 - 10/2332255 LV1.05044Clinton +6
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl11/3 - 11/51282 LV2.74843Clinton +5

I have some doubts of NBC. They usually are very good (really A-) in last days before election, but when left much time, they seem like a C+ pollster.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Entrecampos said:

NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 10/8 - 10/9 447 LV 4.6 52 38 Clinton +14
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 10/10 - 10/13 905 LV 3.3 51 41 Clinton +10
NBC News/SM10/10 - 10/1624804 LV1.05143Clinton +8
NBC News/SM10/17 - 10/2332255 LV1.05044Clinton +6
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl11/3 - 11/51282 LV2.74843Clinton +5

I have some doubts of NBC. They usually are very good (really A-) in last days before election, but when left much time, they seem like a C+ pollster.

No, Hillary probably was leading by 14 the morning after the Access Hollywood tape, which broke October 7th. So her getting +14 on a 10/8-10/9 poll and then it coming back down doesn't scare me. Unlike Hillary, Biden's lead doesn't seem to be fueled by a monumental scandal so much as a cascade of events. Time will tell if his large lead holds.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

No, Hillary probably was leading by 14 the morning after the Access Hollywood tape, which broke October 7th. So her getting +14 on a 10/8-10/9 poll and then it coming back down doesn't scare me. Unlike Hillary, Biden's lead doesn't seem to be fueled by a monumental scandal so much as a cascade of events. Time will tell if his large lead holds.

Also, Clinton vs. Trump was choosing between two monstrous, lying, evil people with the moral fibre and trustworthiness of Moriarty, so I think that led many Americans who weren't "unconditional automatic Party voters," for one major party or another or caught in Trump's toxic cult of personality either being faced by a VERY difficult choice, not voting, or voting Third Party, Independent, or Write-In. But the latter group of people, as is typical of a lot of American pollsters, seem to ignored as an irrelevancy (although I don't know if NBC has that polling issue, specifically). In fact, didn't you say, at the time, you were voting for Daryll Castle? 

10 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

The big change didnt happened in the other pollsters. All the other were giving less advantage by 9/10 October.

21 hours ago, Patine said:

IF you really want a logical temperature scale, you should use the Kelvin scale.  ;)

1 hour ago, Defiant said:

IF you really want a logical temperature scale, you should use the Kelvin scale.  ;)

Yes, I've read about Kelvins. One of the "new weights and measures," created after the formalization of the Imperial and Metric systems by over a century measuring things they didn't even no existed or needed to be measured in those days - like Newtons, Gravitons, Watts, Volts, Radeons, Candelas, Daltons, Barns, Parsecs, etc., as well - does indeed have a very good argument for inclusion from a point-of-view of consistency, sensible measurement and arrangement, and intuitive range (absolute zero is actually 0 Kelvins, not -200-something degrees Celsius or -300-something degrees Fahrenheit), plus every Kelvin is absolutely uniform is how much of an increase or decrease in temperature it represents. It is not bound to vaguaries of the mercury.