270soft Forum

What-If Election Thread

Thought we could share some what-if elections. 

My first What-if: What if Jimmy Carter had received 8% more of the popular vote in 1980?

Answer:  He would have won the Electoral College, but he would have lost the popular vote by 1%

1980 Result:

• Carter: 283 EVs 46% PV
  • Reagan: 255 EVs 46.7% PV
  • Rest of PV to 3rd parties

All of Carter's states are on the Eastern side of US North America.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thought we could share some what-if elections. 

My first What-if: What if Jimmy Carter had received 8% more of the popular vote in 1980?

Answer:  He would have won the Electoral College, but he would have lost the popular vote by 1%

1980 Result:

• Carter: 283 EVs 46% PV
  • Reagan: 255 EVs 46.7% PV
  • Rest of PV to 3rd parties

All of Carter's states are on the Eastern side of US North America.

In this scenario, who would be the potential front runners for the open election of 1884?

30 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

In this scenario, who would be the potential front runners for the open election of 1884?

You mean 1984. I think it would be Bush or Dole or possibly someone much more moderate since the Religious Right might have also lost in 1980. Reagan had the star power in 1976 and 1980 and if he failed on those two attempts, I think he loses his appeal. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You mean 1984. I think it would be Bush or Dole or possibly someone much more moderate since the Religious Right might have also lost in 1980. Reagan had the star power in 1976 and 1980 and if he failed on those two attempts, I think he loses his appeal. 

Yeah I meant 1984 oops! Yeah that was my thinking, Reagan, even if he did run in 84 wouldn't have nearly the appeal if he lost in 80. 

I think the democrats would be shuffled around too. Maybe even have Ted Kennedy running, likely a front runner if he does run. Obviously Mondale as well.

13 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Yeah I meant 1984 oops! Yeah that was my thinking, Reagan, even if he did run in 84 wouldn't have nearly the appeal if he lost in 80. 

I think the democrats would be shuffled around too. Maybe even have Ted Kennedy running, likely a front runner if he does run. Obviously Mondale as well.

I think Mondale runs. Kennedy only runs if Carter was extremely successful and favorable enough to see his party win a 3rd term. 

• Thanks 1